It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:45

Chaz's Slightly Large Workshop Build

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Chaz's Slightly Large Workshop Build

Postby Mike G » 02 Dec 2020, 21:00

The thickness of a normal ground bearing slab with light and even loads is dependent on the perimeter. 100mm covers many smaller buildings, but not anything approaching the size you're talking about. It's not possible to comment on what you've done, firstly because I'm an architect not a structural engineer, and secondly, because your loads and ground conditions are unknown.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Chaz » 02 Dec 2020, 22:39

Mike G wrote:The thickness of a normal ground bearing slab with light and even loads is dependent on the perimeter. 100mm covers many smaller buildings, but not anything approaching the size you're talking about. It's not possible to comment on what you've done, firstly because I'm an architect not a structural engineer, and secondly, because your loads and ground conditions are unknown.

Understood, thanks.
Chaz
Seedling

Name:

Postby Chaz » 10 Dec 2020, 10:58

So a quick update.

I've had a Structural Engineer come look at the setup, a few options, some predicated on that we have already poured the base.

His view is that a wood structure common on this forum would work as the centre beam structure can be done in a way to offer the support needed.

Will likely be talking to an architect that he works with to determine best course of action with respect to planning and options too.

I will likely be putting up a temporary wood structure to just close off the open side of the barn (the side facing the road) so that I can start to use the workshop and have some privacy / security from outside.

So looking at building some stud wall / OSB panels to put up in the interim.
Chaz
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 11 Dec 2020, 09:17

Glad you've got some professionals involved, Chaz. You'll get a better building as a result.

I'm sure we all look forward to seeing the photos of this one as it unfolds.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Chaz » 11 Dec 2020, 10:20

As Ill likely be buying a fair amount of material, specifically timber / OSB, any suggestions on where to buy in bulk to save some $$$ - ideally someone that can deliver. We are based in Oxford, near Witney.

Thanks
Chaz
Seedling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 11 Dec 2020, 11:41

Chaz wrote:As Ill likely be buying a fair amount of material, specifically timber / OSB, any suggestions on where to buy in bulk to save some $$$ - ideally someone that can deliver. We are based in Oxford, near Witney.

Thanks

When I built my workshop, I drew up an approximate bill of materials and circulated that around the local BMs
Travis perkins, Jewson etc as well as independents and compared prices for the lot and then persuaded them to let me call it off in stages as and when I needed materials with free delivery for each drop.
I over looked to tell then it was a self build and my rate of progress might be slow. Took me about a year to complete.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Chaz » 11 Dec 2020, 11:58

9fingers wrote:
Chaz wrote:As Ill likely be buying a fair amount of material, specifically timber / OSB, any suggestions on where to buy in bulk to save some $$$ - ideally someone that can deliver. We are based in Oxford, near Witney.

Thanks

When I built my workshop, I drew up an approximate bill of materials and circulated that around the local BMs
Travis perkins, Jewson etc as well as independents and compared prices for the lot and then persuaded them to let me call it off in stages as and when I needed materials with free delivery for each drop.
I over looked to tell then it was a self build and my rate of progress might be slow. Took me about a year to complete.

Bob

Thanks, who did you go for in the end and how long ago was this?

I dont have a BOM yet and wont have for a while but I know that Ill be needing a fair bit of stuff which is common (2x4, OSB etc).
Chaz
Seedling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 11 Dec 2020, 14:15

It was 2006 and at the time the Jewsons Rep was the most generous. I found you really need to get hold of the rep as they have the power to agree discounts. The droids on the counter are rarely empowered to negotiate.
I opened a cash account, still have to pay when you order but it gives you a card and an account number which has the discount linked to it.
Lately, round here it seems TP are trying hardest to win business with almost daily emails of offers but I'm not buying much these days.

Good Luck

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Chaz » 11 Dec 2020, 14:35

9fingers wrote:It was 2006 and at the time the Jewsons Rep was the most generous. I found you really need to get hold of the rep as they have the power to agree discounts. The droids on the counter are rarely empowered to negotiate.
I opened a cash account, still have to pay when you order but it gives you a card and an account number which has the discount linked to it.
Lately, round here it seems TP are trying hardest to win business with almost daily emails of offers but I'm not buying much these days.

Good Luck

Bob

Thanks.
Chaz
Seedling

Name:

Postby Deejay » 11 Dec 2020, 15:19

Afternoon Chaz

Earlier this year I rebuilt a lean to.

My local Travis Perkins signed me up for a cash account which gives a discount of between 10% and 20%, depending what you're buying, and free delivery above orders over £50.00 (selected items).

You might do better with a smaller local firm so It's worth a look on the web and a few phone calls

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Name: Dave

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Dec 2020, 21:24

I was recommended a small local firm by a member here at the start of my build and I opened up a cash account with them and they've been brilliant. I still have them deliver a sheet of mdf from time to time on that same cash account, and with the discount.

So I would recommend exploring the possibility of a local independent firm becoming your supplier.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Chaz » 14 Dec 2020, 10:47

Thanks, looking at options. Ive opened a trade account with TP, such a small discount, they remain not far from the normal high street options.

I've got an architect coming around later this week to look at options for the build so that may steer too which way I go with this - he works closely with the Structural Engineer that I had engaged.
Chaz
Seedling

Name:

Postby Chaz » 16 Dec 2020, 18:40

So Architect came out and his advice is to go ahead with the Lawful Development Cert - trying to work around what's here or 'inside' the structure is probably a waste of time. Once that's been approved, we will likely go for normal planning to allow the replacement / repair.
Chaz
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 16 Dec 2020, 19:05

That sounds like good advice to me. I know it's a faff, but worth it in the long run.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Chaz » 16 Dec 2020, 19:21

Mike G wrote:That sounds like good advice to me. I know it's a faff, but worth it in the long run.

Yep. He has indicated that anything I do now shouldnt impact planning but might be a waste of funds. I'm possibly going build a simple OSB 'wall' to go around and attach to the existing structure to give some privacy / security through the winter. I cant see me realisically doing much else before spring / summer. His advice was that even for a summer start on an approved build might be pushing it.
Chaz
Seedling

Name:

Postby MikeJ460 » 16 Dec 2020, 23:22

Interesting challenge this as I'm facing something similar this coming year, so would be very interested in seeing your progress.

Just on the subject of bulk deals on materials, I believe current log jams at UK ports are affecting many merchant stock levels, so it would be worth checking. I've never seen our local timber place so empty and then we've got Brexit...
MikeJ460
Seedling

Name:

Postby Chaz » 17 Dec 2020, 20:14

MikeJ460 wrote:Interesting challenge this as I'm facing something similar this coming year, so would be very interested in seeing your progress.

Just on the subject of bulk deals on materials, I believe current log jams at UK ports are affecting many merchant stock levels, so it would be worth checking. I've never seen our local timber place so empty and then we've got Brexit...

Indeed. I'm needing to pick based on stock in some cases.

So - im thinking of using 18mm OSB or Plywood for some temporary walls. There's a lot of comments about the one versus the other but in this case, if the Plywood is the same price, https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/plywood ... 9000189655 - £25.46 trade price) is that the better wood to go for - can be reused and less concern about water / moisture?

Thanks
Chaz
Seedling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 17 Dec 2020, 20:25

Chaz wrote:
MikeJ460 wrote:Interesting challenge this as I'm facing something similar this coming year, so would be very interested in seeing your progress.

Indeed. I'm needing to pick based on stock in some cases.

So - im thinking of using 18mm OSB or Plywood for some temporary walls. There's a lot of comments about the one versus the other but in this case, if the Plywood is the same price, https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/plywood ... 9000189655 - £25.46 trade price) is that the better wood to go for - can be reused and less concern about water / moisture?

Thanks

Gut feel says OSB as the glue/resin soaks into each wood flake where as the ply laminations are porus and just stuck with waterproof glue. But that is just a gut feel -others may know from experience.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 17 Dec 2020, 21:41

I find OSB is quite robust to rain if you can prevent it getting into the 'end grain' on the cut edges.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby MikeJ460 » 17 Dec 2020, 22:54

OSB3 though
MikeJ460
Seedling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 17 Dec 2020, 23:02

MikeJ460 wrote:OSB3 though

Agreed. I omitted/forgot to mention.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Woodster » 18 Dec 2020, 01:03

RogerS wrote:
I was going to suggest you might like to think about deleting Richardson Ln. (stop any nefarious people thinking about paying a visit) but Maps yielded nothing sensible so reckon you're safe !

Good advice Roger. With a bit of google it only took me a few minutes to find it. ;)

I’d edit or delete the image Chaz.
Attachments
0AE03C36-FB9C-4C99-9E7E-9B6C400D396D.jpeg
(617.87 KiB)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Chaz » 18 Dec 2020, 17:37

Thanks. OSB3 of course.

If I buy some of the Tyvek stuff or similar, does wrapping that over the ends of OSB serve as enough of a barrier? How else or best to waterproof it?

Thanks
Chaz
Seedling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 18 Dec 2020, 19:25

My first means would be to shelter the ends somehow.

Next I would try and cover them with some sort of waterproof material, maybe plastic DPC folded over the edge and stapled each side. I reckon that should keep them going till spring/summer.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Chaz » 18 Dec 2020, 20:25

Thanks. This has also been recommended.

https://www.toolstation.com/black-bitum ... int/p88792
Chaz
Seedling

Name:

PreviousNext