It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:15

The no half measures workshop

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

The no half measures workshop

Postby Timmers » 20 Jan 2021, 20:37

Iv decided to document my build for anyone that is interested.
photos are better than words I guess so here we go.

The lawn witch i hate mowing so win win
20200524_142224.jpg
nice size lawn, i hate cutting the grass so its a win win for me
(544.51 KiB)

concrete base power floated for a smooth finish, old timber sheds removed, fence fixed. the steelwork on pallets ready to go
20201119_161154.jpg
steel work has arrived
(248.13 KiB)

erecting of the steel for on a very very wet day
20201124_081239.jpg
erection of the steel work, on a very wet day
(441.5 KiB)

trusses and purlins up
20201124_133242.jpg
trusses and purlins in and up
(443.78 KiB)

at this point the the neighbours complained to the council. witch is fair enough because it is on the large side. I had gone to the council for planning before the build and they were happy that it was a permitted development so no planning needed. I still filled out the planning forms and they kept every thing on file so there would be no issue once I started the work. I have to admit the council were grate through the whole process, someone came round and measured up to make sure that I had stuck to the plans that I had sent them, they confirmed that i had and informed me that they would deal with he complaint and I shouldent here anything more.
20201128_085849.jpg
finished structure
(412.46 KiB)

at this stage I was going to move in and start enjoying my new workshop, but decided to spend a little extra money on framing, insulation, electrical outlets and lighting. I think its one of those decisions that later on when its snowing out side and I'm nice and warm in the workshop, it would be worth the money rather than not do it and always regret it.
20210116_130156.jpg
framing
(475.99 KiB)

braking the workshop into sections, front and back to make it easier. electrics ran and insulation in. the insulation is also acoustic sound proofing to help with the noise of power tools not sure its needed but no half measures I guess
20210118_162238.jpg
insulation
(416.1 KiB)

20210119_095351.jpg
insulation 2
(358.99 KiB)

starting to board the walls was going to use plasterboard as its a hell of a lot cheaper, but this is a no half measures build so went for 12mm finish ply. taking my time as i dont want gaps between the boards chamfering the edges as I go.
20210119_142356.jpg
ply boards
(394.71 KiB)

made a track for my saw so i could get the finish i was wanting, no gaps between the boards on the wall.
20210120_101904.jpg
rip fence
(258.78 KiB)

20210120_101911.jpg
rip fence 2
(419.96 KiB)

its handy as the left and right guides on the saw are the are different sizes so i made each side of the track to suit each side of the saw to accommodate this so I doesn't matter witch way i push the saw to make the cut.
20210120_101943.jpg
rip fence saw righthand
(341.72 KiB)

20210120_125846.jpg
rip fence saw action
(418.36 KiB)

nice straight finish cut on a long board
20210120_130010.jpg
rip fence saw completion cut
(290.7 KiB)

20210120_103947.jpg
electric outlets
(541.75 KiB)

20210120_103956.jpg
electrical outlets2
(420.05 KiB)

this is the stage I am at at the present
20210120_141759.jpg
bottom half boards
(431.68 KiB)

20210120_174130.jpg
left wall back left wall and upper
(351.13 KiB)

apology's that some of these photos are upside down and 90degrees I'm not sure how to change them.
Timmers
Seedling

Name:

Re: The no half measures workshop

Postby Andyp » 20 Jan 2021, 20:51

Welcome Timmers.

Well that’s a style of build we have not seen before.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Blackswanwood » 20 Jan 2021, 21:06

That looks like a good size. Will you insulate the roof?
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby novocaine » 20 Jan 2021, 21:08

Plannning for a disaster? Can't see the big bad wolf blowing that down.

If you can reposition your back boxes to line up with the edge of the board you wont need extra long screws when you fit your face plates.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Timmers » 20 Jan 2021, 21:14

the roof will be insulated with the same acoustic insulation as the walls.
that's a good idea with not needing longer screws. might be tricky to move through the holes now that the boards are in.
Timmers
Seedling

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 20 Jan 2021, 21:56

Good thread. Welcome.

Give us an idea of where you got the frame from and some idea of costs please.

And how you erected it and pictures of the cladding process.

If it were mine I would probably have used much thicker ply inside, so that I can hang cabinets directly from it. What was your thought process for 12mm?

Adrian
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 20 Jan 2021, 22:08

That's a hell of a workshop! Your rules must be different from ours, because there is no conceivable way that would be permitted development down here. But you did all the right things in checking with the council.

I'll be interested to see how the ply works out. I have had tightly-butted sheathing board start to buckle, so I now make it a habit to specify a small gap between sheets. You might well be fine, but steel and timber have very different coefficients of expansion, so keep an eye on it. If it starts to move you may have to run a saw cut up the junctions.

What are you going to do with all that space?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 20 Jan 2021, 22:13

novocaine wrote:Plannning for a disaster? Can't see the big bad wolf blowing that down.

If you can reposition your back boxes to line up with the edge of the board you wont need extra long screws when you fit your face plates.

But if you do, I've got a boxful doing owt.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 20 Jan 2021, 22:17

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 20 Jan 2021, 22:21

Mike G wrote:That's a hell of a workshop! Your rules must be different from ours, because there is no conceivable way that would be permitted development down here. But you did all the right things in checking with the council.

They seem to have two things to consider. Building Regulations and Building Warrant. The floor size seems similar to ours ie 30 sq m. :eusa-think:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Timmers » 20 Jan 2021, 23:24

this was erected using no forklifts or cherry pickers, only ladders. i don't have photos of cladding going on as it was dark after work when I was putting it on.

I bought a few sheets of 19mm ply because i was thinking the same thing with hanging cabinets from it but when i got it them back to the workshop i decided that it was over kill. they are super heavy to lift on my own and quite a lot more money.

the warping of the boards I didn't think of to be honest was more thinking about the aesthetics but i will keep an eye on. worst comes to worst i will deal with it when it happens

The building size is 9m long 6m wide. 3m to the eves 4m to the point of the roof.

from what i understand the allowed sizes for a permitted development is ,

1.5 away from the edge of boundary (ie the fence)you are allowed 3m to the eves and the point of the roof no higher than 4m
the base size cannot be more than 50% of your garden
this changes if u are within 1.5m from the edge of the boundary.
Timmers
Seedling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 21 Jan 2021, 07:16

Yup..that's Planning.

Surely Building Control have an interest given the size of the footprint ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 21 Jan 2021, 08:33

Timmers wrote:.......3m to the eves 4m to the point of the roof........

Ah, right. The photos really are deceptive then. I thought it looked much larger. If that's the size, then yes, it falls under PD. I still have no idea whether Scotland has the same planning rules as us (I know their Building Regs system is different).
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Timmers » 21 Jan 2021, 10:52

no warrant no building inspection. I also thought I would need this but but the council said otherwise.
Timmers
Seedling

Name:

Postby Lons » 21 Jan 2021, 11:11

Impressive, like Mike I thought it was much larger. How does it work with regulations for the electrics? Presumably you would need to get them signed off to satisfy the L.A.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby AJB Temple » 21 Jan 2021, 12:19

Inspired by this I had a look on line for steel frames as I know a new workshop is in my future and I like the idea of an agricultural type building that can be erected and made weathertight really fast. The steel frames are surprisingly cheap.

Grand Designs last night had a Dutch barn style steel framed house. Bit of an odd programme though as it was not really a self build at all.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 21 Jan 2021, 12:29

AJB Temple wrote:.....Grand Designs last night had a Dutch barn style steel framed house. Bit of an odd programme though as it was not really a self build at all.

It had all sorts of nomenclature mistakes in it, too. McLoud said "Dutch barn style", but those have an arched (barrel vaulted) roof, not the mansard roof that the new house has. He also called a mansard roofed cottage a "Dutch gabled house", but a Dutch gable is one in which the gable wall extends up past the roofline, and has a decorative shape. This means the roof is effectively an abutment roof at each end. It's a difficult enough programme to watch at the best of times, but when you add stupid mistakes like that to his wearisome over-excitedness at the end, and all the false drama along the way..........well, I'll probably give the rest of the series a miss.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby clogs » 21 Jan 2021, 12:44

Timmers, absolutley great......

I always said 'Cold Rolled Section" is the way to go......for a small place, that or box section.....

not quite as cheap as chips but close.....
there are a couple of firms using ebay.....

I was looking at a 200m2 using cold rolled section...it's quite light compared to RSJ...there is a def limit on width tho....but OK for small workshops.....
I secified...all steel panels roof and wall to be insulated (double skinned)
1 pedestrian door and almost full width/hight roller door at the gable end......
no windows, only roof lights....£12,000...+ vat...UK delivery free.....
u supply the base and the labour to errect....they would organise a team if needed......
I couldn't get it shipped to Crete for a reasonable price....so will build my own from RSJ....
C/R Section here is a bit like hens teeth.....
clogs
Sapling

Name:

Postby Timmers » 21 Jan 2021, 23:03

Lons wrote:Impressive, like Mike I thought it was much larger. How does it work with regulations for the electrics? Presumably you would need to get them signed off to satisfy the L.A.

from what i understand its an out building and not attached to the house so i wont need an inspection.
i could be completely wrong on this so don't take my word for it.

I'm not one for bodge jobbing anything so I would be confident that everything electrical wize is sound.
I still have to trench a cable in to the house, i have cable, and the sparky at my work will do the final connection. he said there was no way he was digging the trench and laying the cable though. "typical sparky" :lol:
Timmers
Seedling

Name:

Postby Timmers » 21 Jan 2021, 23:07

AJB Temple wrote:Inspired by this I had a look on line for steel frames as I know a new workshop is in my future and I like the idea of an agricultural type building that can be erected and made weathertight really fast. The steel frames are surprisingly cheap.

Grand Designs last night had a Dutch barn style steel framed house. Bit of an odd programme though as it was not really a self build at all.

i was going to build a timber framed building my self. but after looking in to these steel buildings the price was soo good i couldn't say no. galvanized steel, built to any dimension, any size door configuration, windows, if u want u can have every panel a different color, just was endless.
i was easy to put up and you could if there was a few guys to help have it up in 3 days.
Timmers
Seedling

Name:

Postby novocaine » 21 Jan 2021, 23:10

Not all sparkys are just lazy.

Some are ugly too.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby jimmy s » 22 Jan 2021, 00:23

Timmers

At some point I need to get a workshop of a reasonable size and with the amount of work to deal with in the house I cant see me getting time to build it myself.

Where did you end up getting yours from if you dont mind me asking?
jimmy s
New Shoots

Name: Jimmy Simpson

Postby RogerS » 25 Jan 2021, 22:03

AJB Temple wrote:Inspired by this I had a look on line for steel frames as I know a new workshop is in my future and I like the idea of an agricultural type building that can be erected and made weathertight really fast. The steel frames are surprisingly cheap.

I was surprised to see he had OSB sheathing inside (which I thought acted as a vapour barrier) and the plastic sheet over the top of that. I have no idea where his wall insulation was.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 29 Jan 2021, 16:49

Nice usable space you’ve got there, my only comment would be if that is a roller door it’s almost impossible to insulate it and and possibly gone for the sort of door made out of horizontal panels, up and over which you could apply King span to the rear of. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Cabinetman » 29 Jan 2021, 17:01

For steel frame buildings I can recommend a local company to me called Rase steels, hopeless website, but they do an awful lot of work for farmers in Lincolnshire so they must be competitive, some huge barns. They’re the sort of company that doesn’t need to advertise it’s just well known in the farming community. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Next

Return to Workshop Builds