It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:19

Workshop storage

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Workshop storage

Postby Lurker » 05 Feb 2021, 17:56

I have just started fitting out my new workshop and I am asking you for your best ideas for storage solutions.
Ideally I need the tardis to get everything in and leave some space to work.
I have yet to transfer stuff from the old workshop to the new.

Today I made two tool boards (yet to be populated).
I am aiming to use lots of french cleats as hangers as I imagine it will take me at least a year to get it just right.
Next task is a wall rack for cramps not sure how to progress. Sizes from 6 ft sash to 2” g cramps
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Workshop storage

Postby Malc2098 » 05 Feb 2021, 19:25

The size of my workshop is just about the same size of my '60s garage on the side of my house. So, there's not a lot of room.

All my walls have French cleats on them so I can move everything around if I need to when or if things change.

Everything on the floor is on castors. I started with cheap castors. They're not worth it if you're moving things frequently.

E.g. Today, I was milling some timber for my ukulele necks. The table saw, for this project so far, is the work bench. I pulled the P/T out of the way and milled the timber on the bandsaw after I pulled that out. That got pushed back and I pulled the drum sander over to flatten the timber. That got pushed back while I lean over the TS and to check measurements and mark out the wood from the A0 plans.

All my drawer units are on castors. The one that regularly comes out is the one with the router table on top. Then the one with the drill press. My work bench gets shoved from side to side regularly because it's got the small dust extractor inside it so the hose can reach the router or drill.

It works for me.

PS, my clamps are on one set of doors.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Mike G » 05 Feb 2021, 20:41

Jim, sash cramps need a different rack from F & G clamps. I'll take a photo or two tomorrow of mine, which aren't original at all, but essentially the head of the sash cramp just slides into a slot in a bracketed shelf. The damn things eat wall space for breakfast. F & G clamps just need a series of pairs of brackets sticking out of a backboard. You can fit an awful lot of clamps in quite a small space....again, photos tomorrow if I remember.

The big deal, storage wise, in a workshop isn't the tools. It's wood. Having timber racks should, I reckon, be a higher priority than having a tool cupboard. This is a really good reason not to have too many windows in a workshop, because a window in a wall is usually enough to prevent that wall being used for storing wood.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 06 Feb 2021, 19:16

As promised, here are a few photos of clamp/ cramp storage. I seem to have lost the photo I took of my F clamps....I'll come back to you tomorrow. So, Sash cramps first:

If you've got lots, those slots could be 2 deep, but they're weighty things, so the shelf would have to be beefy.

Care of RogerS, I have some really handy aluminium sash cramps. They store very neatly:

I think there are 13 there.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 06 Feb 2021, 19:26

Mike, thats a huge waste of wall space.
Turn your clamp racks 90 degrees so they are sticking out from the wall. a dozen clamps in the same width as one. 8-)
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 06 Feb 2021, 19:31

Then I waste floor space, Bob! :)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lurker » 06 Feb 2021, 20:04

Ta Mike,

Picture one is pretty much what I have planned, but the brackets will be on french cleats.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 06 Feb 2021, 20:30

Mike G wrote:
The big deal, storage wise, in a workshop isn't the tools. It's wood. Having timber racks should, I reckon, be a higher priority than having a tool cupboard. This is a really good reason not to have too many windows in a workshop, because a window in a wall is usually enough to prevent that wall being used for storing wood.

Most timber will live in the ex garage, that has lost the up and over, but gained a wood cladding wall and what was the house back door.
The workshop has one 5 meter and two 4 meter timber walls. The fourth 5 meter wall is all glass windows and doors. So somehow I will have to manage with just the 13 meters of wall ;)
Sounds a lot but there’s a 8ft bench, lathe, table saw, bandsaw, router table and 2 meters of floor standing cupboards to tuck in somehow.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 07 Feb 2021, 06:44

Mike G wrote:Then I waste floor space, Bob! :)

Are you sure that the floor space in question is that important?
I dont have many clamps, but storing them like a tool shop would on outward pointing pegs has given me more room to put other important stuff up.
Remember my total workshop is 3 m x 5 m. so all space is vital to me.
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 07 Feb 2021, 08:36

Got a photo, Bob?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 07 Feb 2021, 09:01

My sash cramps are stored in a similar way to Mike's; just a lump of very bowed :o pine with slots cut it to hold 14 Record cramps. Timber storage is the priority and all my big boards are stored vertically in one corner of the 'shop and as I don't use much in the way of sheet material, that gets slotted in underneath the assembly table (quarter size boards) All the hand tools are racked out over the bench on a 'Tool Wall' which is constantly being changed as new stuff is added or old, unused tools are removed. Handplanes are racked out under the bench - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 07 Feb 2021, 11:39

Hah, nice try but I'm not showing you my crappy pieces of scrap pine nailed together. I already have an inferiority complex from whenever you do a work in progress :eusa-hand:

Just picture (in your mind) how far out a couple of bars would need to be in order to hold them, compared the foot run of wall youre using now. 8-) 8-)
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby NickM » 09 Feb 2021, 17:55

Put a stable door on one wall of your workshop and hang them on that...

IMG_8186.jpeg
(140.22 KiB)
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Lurker » 09 Feb 2021, 19:56

Excellent!

just need to find myself a stable to nick a door from.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 27 Feb 2021, 19:46

It's taken me a while to find this thread.

I've finally got access to the photos I took a couple of weeks ago, so here is my F clamp storage:

Quite a lot of clamps in quite a little space. (When I say a lot, I mean nowhere near enough.... ;) )
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lurker » 11 Mar 2021, 18:50

Anyone know of an elegant way of hanging a lot of different size hammers on the wall.
Also battery drills.

Thanks
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Mar 2021, 19:16

I think there are a number of differing designs of drill storage on YT,

My walls are all French cleated, so I made the cleat to hang on the wall cleat, then glued in several dowells long enough to slide the drills, chuck outwards, between the dowels.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby AndyT » 11 Mar 2021, 19:48

Lurker wrote:Anyone know of an elegant way of hanging a lot of different size hammers on the wall

Thanks

Try these photos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/etherfarm ... 8611/show/
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby spb » 11 Mar 2021, 21:37

Or, if you have slightly fewer than that to deal with:

spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Postby Lurker » 11 Mar 2021, 22:59

spb wrote:Or, if you have slightly fewer than that to deal with:

That's given me some good pointers.
I like the angled bit the heads rest upon.
Some wood and some conduit and I think I could make a decent single run like that.

Thanks
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Workshop Builds