It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:05

Dry Ridge System or Traditional Mortar for Ridge Tiles

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Dry Ridge System or Traditional Mortar for Ridge Tiles

Postby gerryknowles » 04 Mar 2021, 12:50

I wasnt sure about crawling around 4 metres up in the air trying to mortar my ridge tiles into place and had noticed that there are dry ridge systems available. Whats the general consensus? Do people prefer to mortar or are the dry ridge systems good and easy to install?

Thanks

Gerry
gerryknowles
Seedling

Name:

Re: Dry Ridge System or Traditional Mortar for Ridge Tiles

Postby Mike G » 04 Mar 2021, 12:56

It depends.....

Dry ridges would be out of place in a traditional setting, but look OK in a modern setting. They both work fine, but in my world, the world of traditional building practises, they are never used.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 04 Mar 2021, 13:28

we now have a dry ridge on a property. the only bit that looks out of place is the verge on the gable, everything else looks all but identical to the neighbours except newer.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby jimmy s » 04 Mar 2021, 15:22

I've been getting rid of our tiles and have been re-slating with a code 5 lead roll ridge but the roof that we removed was mainly redland stonewold concrete tiles with a mortar bedded ridge.

We replaced the roof on the last house as well and that time we went with a dry ridge system. If it works aesthetically I'd go dry ridge as its a lot less faff and at least if you have to you can take a ridge tile or two off to get a tile out etc without having to resort to an angle grinder and a hammer!
jimmy s
New Shoots

Name: Jimmy Simpson

Postby novocaine » 04 Mar 2021, 15:37

should add, house behind went with traditional ridge with a capped verge, no one else will ever notice but to me it looks a mess as the builder didn't dye the mortar so it really stands out.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby RogerS » 04 Mar 2021, 17:18

novocaine wrote:should add, house behind went with traditional ridge with a capped verge, no one else will ever notice but to me it looks a mess as the builder didn't dye the mortar so it really stands out.

Must be the same guy who did my water tables and hadn't heard of patination oil (mind you, neither had I but then it's not my line of business!)
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 16 Sep 2022, 18:54

Just to update, GALMI (well, two actually) with a Nifty lift. Went up in the bucket to inspect the tiles and as most of them were securely fixed, we decided just to rake out the old mortar and repoint. I'm pleased with the result although I should have added a little colouring to darken the mortar. It will soon get covered in moss !

While they were up there I got them to remove the vegetation from the gutters ...bonus time.

Total cost ? Delighted to say their cost including the Nifty was £320 + VAT which I think is a bargain. I supplied the materials.

lime mortar ridge tile.jpg
(231.61 KiB)

As you can see, I also got them to repoint one set of water tables as the previous Builder-Muppet had used normal cement mortar.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 23 Sep 2022, 23:00

You're all far too polite. I agree with you. They were a bit heavy-handed with the old mortar :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to Workshop Builds