It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:17

DBT85's 30m2 build during lockdown 1.0

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: DBT85's 30m2 build during lockdown 1.0

Postby DBT85 » 19 Mar 2021, 16:19

16th June 2020...
Lift complete alone and without any issues. The joy of limiting its movement to vertical only. I used a series of offcuts placed on the top the plate to raise it up about 400mm at a time to the final height. Just used other longer offcuts and then my 1.8m level as something to put under it and lift with the legs as it's too much to lift with arms above your head.

First rafter is cut to plan using a speed square and offered up.

So after off again on again off again rain and thunderstorms all day, plus me spending too long trying to make up a damned OSB template to make life easier, I eventually got all 26 rafters cut to size. Had I not bothered trying to make the template I'd have been done by flippin 3pm.

If the weather holds off tomorrow then the rafters will go up.

3.6m is quite high when you're down at 1.8m looking up at it squinting because of the sunlight.

17th June 2020...
I started off by getting my first 4 rafters marked up at the gable ends and toe nailed in place and settled on both sides of the ridge. Then I could rest my very long ladder against the ridge with its foot against the block wall. With both ends nailed up I could work out how I was going to mark out the ridge (listen people, do it BEFORE you lift it). With the tape measure clipped over the end of the first rafter I could get up and down the ladder to mark each rafter position on both sides. I did at least manage to do both sides at the same time.

Gable rafters up

With everything marked up I got 4 more rafters up to a working height and settled into my system for mounting. Rafter up and roughly in position, clamp over the plumb cut and the top plate to pull it tight while I cracked the underside of the rafter with my hand to jiggle it enough to settle the seat and then nail it on. Same on the other side and then repeat.

Setting out ready to start the rest

With 4 done I got yet another ladder out and got up there to nail the rafters in place at the ridge. Just rinse and repeat till it was done!

Halfway there

26 rafters completed

With them all up and out of the way I started cutting my larger rafter ties from my old formwork. These are 50x200 so oversize for the job at hand. I cut up a pair of battens as a gauge, clamped them to the rafter with the other end on the floor, then lifted each tie up, clamped one end, screwed the other, then the other. I have moved more ladders today than I care to remember. The ties are only double screwed at each end for now. Once all 7 are done I'll stick a homemade M16 bolt through each end.

4 of 7 rafter ties in place

A decent days work

Tomorrow those ridge supports can come down as I need them to cut the last of my rafter ties. Then I'll work out what I'm doing next.

I've enough offcuts to do my noggins but not enough to make something to close off the eaves like Mike did on his.

Saying that, I'll have a fair bit of 200x50 and 150x50 offcuts that I could rip down.
DBT85
Seedling

Name: Darren

Postby DBT85 » 19 Mar 2021, 16:30

18th June 2020...
Due to torrential rain my workshop is now a swimming pool. The sum total of my work today. All cut dutifully on the evolution table saw with the sliding carriage. Very clean and the majority needed no attention at the ends to get a nut on. I've cut rod before and know to keep a nut on there to fix the threads when you wind it off, but no need with that saw.

A used CladMan tool also arrived from ebay. £100 so £50 off the usual price and it'll help put up my feather edge and can be sold again after I'm done with it.

For larks I checked the size difference between workshop 1 and workshop 2.

Workshop 1) 4m x 3.25m x 2.27m
Workshop 2) 6.86m x 4.37m x 2.51m to 3.38m

13m2 area and 29.5 m3 volume for workshop 1 compared to 29.9 m2 area (230%) and 83m3 (280%) volume for Workshop 2. That's not including the storage space up in the roof which adds another 5 or so. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

19th June 2020...

Crappy weather again today though it did brighten up eventually.

All I did today was get the ridge supports down, cut the last 3 rafter ties and got them fitted and the M16 bolts in place. Well that and swept the Atlantic out of my workshop.

The weather is improving basically from now so I'd like to get it water proof by next weekend if I can.

I reckon I can use offcuts of 50x100 and the 25x100 I ordered for use on the corners of the cladding to get the eaves closed. That will mean I can get it all covered in membrane at least.

Early start tomorrow, noggins cut and in and then maybe start on the OSB. "That'll be fun" he said.

20th June 2020...
Done for today now. Doesn't look like much but it felt productive.

Used all of the offcuts for the studs to make the noggins first. Naturally the gaps are not all perfect so I had a quick measure and made them in batches that were close enough and then went around and trimmed those that needed it, treated the ends and got them nailed in.

Then it was time to tackle the closing of the eaves. I still had some 50x100 left over but sadly the offcuts from my noggins were about 40mm short, so I had to use what was left of the stud offcuts. I set up a stop block and cut everything to 570mm, slightly larger than any gap between rafters. I literally ran out with the last one cut. I now probably have 12m of 530mm offcuts.

That solved one angle, the rise was dealt with by using the 25x100 that I'd ordered for the cladding corners, so more will be needed later.

With everything cut I started to screw the first one together and remembered I had a nail gun. That was much easier.

All nailed together it was time to trim each one to size and use the Mk3 Persuader to encourage them to sit snugly without putting undue pressure on the rafters. Each one was fitted with the previous ones still in place to ensure it will still fit when actually nailed in place.

With that done they could all be taken out and treated. Jim has come through with an electric planer as I don't have one so I can do that before getting the roof membrane on.

Looks like so little but it was a satisfying day in the end.

Tomorrow it's time to get those fitted then get my OSB cut and the walls lined. I can then bring up the estimated 75 half sheets of insulation I need for the walls and roof from the farmyard. Bought at a farm auction a year ago for £130 for about 120 600x2400mm sheets of 60mm? That'll do nicely.
DBT85
Seedling

Postby DBT85 » 19 Mar 2021, 16:43

22nd June 2020...
Something approaching work was done today.

Despite wanting to crack on with the boarding I knew I'd need the gable studs (ladder?) done, so I set about that. The first issue being I have no bits of 50x100 on hand that are longer than 530mm. A shame as I have 40 odd of those. That size would at least serve for the 4 smallest studs, so I used some up to get those done to hone my plan. If I got something wrong I had lots of offcuts to redo it on.

With the 4 small ones complete I could resaw the 50x150 offcuts I had kicking around down to 50x100. The Evolution table saw dealt with that easily enough and then I could offer each up to mark it accordingly, carefully noting which side needing chopping out and numbering each one so I knew where it needed to go when I was done. Rather than chopping and changing everything around I did all of the ones where the right side needed chopping out, then all the ones where the left side needed chopping out.

Gable studs done and rafter fillers trimmed

Naturally it was just as I was treating these ends that I ran out of the cut end treatment so had to waste time going out to get more.

With framing pretty much complete here is the time lapse
Part 5 - Framing

Anyway, with those all done and fitted I could finally start getting some OSB up. These were still out on the driveway where they were delivered so for the first time I had to actually lug materials round to the workshop. I wanted to get the long side walls done first as those were the easy ones. 4 and a half sheets each side.

First up I trimmed 4 all at once with the tracksaw but I didn't bother doing it again as it was too much of a faff lining all 4 up to be cut the same. The sheets are cut to be about 25mm shy of the floor as I'll run some kind of skirting around to finish it off, and there will be a floating floor anyway. It wasn't long before I'd got my method down and I had both sides sorted. I can already see and feel a difference between the new sheets and the ones that have been up a few days and been rained on. Needs must.

It would be nice if the nail gun beeped at you when it knew it only had x nails left. It knows it's running short as it won't fire if it's only got 3 or 4 left, so just beep at me a bit before so that I've not got a sheet held up ready to nail only for it to not fire and then I notice I'm out. I was going through those 50mm nails quite quickly while putting the sheets up!

Tomorrow I'll have to run a little timber into the gables for the diagonal tops of sheets to nail to. Then the fun of boarding those out and then the underside of the rafters! Yay.

23rd June 2020...
I now have 12 of the framed panels that fellow workshop builder SheptonPhil used on their way (an offer from the seller for 12 for £256) 600x600, 6500k and many lumens.

The bigger question now is how am I going to mount them. I don't have a flat ceiling like Phil and obviously I have the vaulted section.

A productive day again on site though. With the long walls finished off yesterday it was time to start on the gable walls. I did the easy end first and did the easy part of that first, just the sheets that went along. I was fortunate enough that I was able to cut the whole gable from one sheet of OSB. A small notch later for the ridge and one end was done.

Easy gable done

Diagonal cut needed to make the gable triangles.

With that end done I set about the door end. Wifey helped by marking out where the door hole was while I held the sheet up on both sides and then I just needed to make a little infill for the section above the door. The batten you can see was something I added to push my sheets upto to get the same height all across. It's hard enough lifting them with one hand and holding them there, let alone trying to align them too!
Before I could start boarding out the rafters I had to add yet another piece for the boards to secure to, this was the first real mistake I'd made on the job so far. For reasons known only to me (I'm claiming heat stroke) I didn't check where that new piece needed to go properly. Batten was secured to the gable rafters at sort of the right place, and then I realised it needed to be in the actual right place for the sheets to nail to. First use of the crowbar helped get the 60mm nails out without too much grief. With the battens properly secured in place (Using another pair of battens clamped to the underside of the rafters as a guide), I could start on the boarding.

I decided to stick to boarding in the same orientation as the walls and to begin by boarding above the joists up to the ridge. Naturally I had to cut the board a little short to allow it to swing past the ridge, but that gap will be closed off by securing more OSB to the underside of the ridge.

With the first 2 boards cut to the correct width (the first boards on the walls fly past the gable wall, so I had to cut these ones down as they would be butting up to the internal OSB) and height, I could lift them onto the joists and then get up there and nail in place.
That was all for the day. We also had a crew come in to take some of the Ash branches down so the garden is looking a little busy!

I'm really hoping to get the boarding done tomorrow so that I can get the insulation in and the membrane over at least the roof before the rain comes back in earnest.
DBT85
Seedling

Postby DBT85 » 19 Mar 2021, 17:29

24th June 2020...
Another grand day. I started off by getting the easy boards up in the roof, this comprised of 2 whole sheets, 2 99% whole sheets and then 4 smaller cut pieces. With those in place I could start the fiddly bit of cutting around the rest of the rafter ties/joists.

A handy resting place for an unwieldy sheet

"Easy" sheets complete

I was once again fortunate that the distance from the wall to the ridge was nigh on 2480mm, and I needed to leave a little gap to be able to swing boards up past the ridge as it sticks out below the rafters. So a 2440 sheet pretty much filled the gap entirely. The gap at the ridge will be covered with a single piece nailed to the underside of the ridge.

So with the offcuts of my earlier exertions I could begin measuring, marking, measuring again, writing on the wall, checking and finally cutting. All in all not too difficult, though true to the rest of the project I was unable to not copy Mike in one more way. For one cut, just one, I had measured the distance to the rafter, and not the joist. Ploppers.

Todays cockup

Todays result

With that all finished I could hop (more like teeter) onto the roof and nail on some supports for those cut ends, then come down again to finish the nailing inside.

Next up it was time to attack the insulation. I had 23 sheets of 610x2440 60mm insulation already up from the farm. While the stuff is easy enough to cut I do find that handsaws make an inordinate mess. Add to that an element of drunken blade wander and I figured since the table saw was still out it was the work of a moment to rip all the sheets down to size, and lo, it was. A nice finish on the edge too so less bits flapping around.

This is the insulation that cost £120 for 60 sheets, so thats 30 full sheets, equalling just £4 for a full sheet. The joy of farmers sales. The second batch did test the wallet a bit though at...£6 per full sheet. :oops: Again, these were not bought for this job, they were bought for use around the farm (cottages, houses etc) over a year ago.

So off I started carving them up to work around bolts and joists and so on. Once you have a pattern for the first one the next become much easier. I ended the day doing the nice easy sheets in the vaulted section with no pesky bits to cut out. Just trim an angle off the end of the first piece and in they sailed.

I'll have more insulation and expandy foam brought up tomorrow morning while I'm sorting the remaining sheets out. Hopefully I can get them all done, foamed and membraned before the expected thunderstorms on Friday morning. It would be nice to get the walls done too, but its just not going to happen. I'm a little less worried about those.

25th June 2020... It's hot out there
It's 9:40 and it's 23 degrees already. I have at least got my next batch of insulation here already. Time to take on water like the Titanic and cut the next 24 boards to width.

Everything went pretty well for the most part. You get surprisingly comfortable climbing wonky ladders and crawling all over your roof when you have to do it for a few days. I had a lie in yesterday and didn't get out of bed till 7 helped by the fact that my kid also decided that sleep was good.

While my wimmin slept I woke up and got ready to go and move the truck to get more insulation. Lo and behold as I walked out to where the track was, it wasn't. Mike had already been up and was driving across the field with my next batch of insulation. All £48 worth. Great. All materials on site to crack on.

I'd already cut all but the last 2 bits (which are narrower than normal) to width the night before so I could carve up my first one for the door end, check my measurements and then make 2 more to the same pattern, and 3 more bits to go over the top. With those all in place I then did the easy one at the end, just a straight run to two different widths.

One half complete

Time to fire up the saw again and make some mess.

I know most only use a hand saw for the insulation but honestly I'd do it again with the table saw. 20 pieces all cut to perfect width in a minute or two with less mess and no marking out. This is obviously easier when the boards come in half widths in the first place.

I started hacking bits away to get the other side done and it all went in without major issue. As always you work it out slowly and it only gets faster as you start banging it up. It really helped noting the cuts from the first boards to just mark out the same for the next 3 or 4 for around the joists. I could do minimal trips around the garden to the saw and up and down the ladder.

The far side was complete by about 2:15. The temperature was about TooHot degrees.

We'd had some friends arrive for a distanced BBQ and with them came grown up conversation and cold beer, so I wasn't going to miss out after 3 months. Really the only thing I've missed since lockdown started was this kind of afternoon with friends.

Despite that I needed to get my foam in so I hoofed it up onto the ridge once more with the foam lance. Wifey and friend Lee proved adept at launching cans of foam up to me on the ridge and I worked my way along the top doing the gap and as far down the rafter edges as I could comfortably reach. Then it was time to scamper across the rafters to do the rest of it, then the other side. But it was done by about 3:30 and I could sit, eat have a much needed beer and enjoy a natter while the foam cured.

They did the foxtrot come 6 and so I could get back up and trim any odd bits that had bubbled up out of nowhere and clean up a little of the more overzealous foam. Then I set out my membrane on the floor and marked out 5x 7.5m lengths, enough to do the whole roof with excess.

That's where I started getting hot under the collar. The merest gnats fart had the stuff billowing all over the place, and I'd only folded the membrane up to get it up onto the ridge and work down. Never again. Don't do it this way. I've warned you! With the ridge piece on I could come back down for my second length. This proved more difficult as I was rapidly running out of rafter to hold onto or stand on. The third and final length for the far side was completed mostly from the ladder. That side looks rubbish compared to the side in the photo, but it doesn't need to look pretty.

The side you've seen was done marginally better and slightly differently. I rolled up my membrane as tight as I could and after clambering onto the roof went to the farthest end from the ladder and worked backwards. I wasn't quite getting in my own way as often, but boy was I glad I didn't have a steeper pitch to try standing on. With that one down it was fairly easy to do the last bit down at the eaves once again all from the ladder.

LESSON: Start at the bottom and work up using battens. Oddly, exactly as you're supposed to do it!

I wish I'd worked out something for my batten spacings before getting to this point so I could have put some up without them being temporary. But time was also in the way as the potential for rain was high enough that I didn't want my hard work ruined.

So that's that. I'd never do it that way again, but apart from the membrane part it all went ok given the ridiculous temperatures.

All in all the insulation cost for the roof came to £92. Not bad for 34m2 of 120mm insulation. A new record perhaps?

End of the day...
Well its done. The phrase rhymes with clucking bell.

The forecast said today you shall bake and tomorrow you shall drown. Hopefully it doesn't hit here anyway but at least it's got some protection.
DBT85
Seedling

Postby RogerS » 19 Mar 2021, 19:23

Cracking WIP, Darren. Are you working on your lonesome ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby DBT85 » 22 Mar 2021, 13:17

RogerS wrote:Cracking WIP, Darren. Are you working on your lonesome ?

Yes Rodger apart from where mentioned it was all done solo.

Father in Law Mike helped a bit with clearing the site, the pour, getting the mesh down and also to get the ridge to head height. Jim helped on the pour and supplied a planer. Wife drew a line on a bit of OSB around the door but also basically did all of the childcare for several months and most of the cooking and lunches. Typically I'm a lt more involved but she understood it needed to get one once it was started.
DBT85
Seedling

Postby DBT85 » 23 Mar 2021, 19:16

27th June 2020...

After a moment to un collate (de collate?) some nails (I literally had no nails that were not glued together) I headed up in the spitting rain to get some emergency battens on to help keep the membrane on the roof with the incoming weather. About half way through I cracked my thumb with the hammer. Everyone in the county heard me.

I got up the other side and got some battens up there too, also did my thumb again. Why don't I use more nails I wonder? (hammer) These were not driven with the nailer as I wanted to leave them proud so that I could easily move them once I sort my batten spacing for the roof.

As I don't have much time today I then banged up what I could on the walls to help keep some wet out as it's drizzly. The 8x6m tarp that covered the slab is on the back wall (that wall got hit harder with the overnight rain), the smaller tarp we had went over the door to keep the worst out and then I used what was left of the first roll of membrane on the window wall and then as far as I could on the short back wall. I'm fairly certain I won't actually need it anyway if I wreck it getting it off again, but I can be careful removing the staples.

It'll have to do.

Months and months of amazing weather and now this at the worst time.

29th June 2020...
Well after the most of the weekend off I cracked on again this morning. I used some of that time to get my head around the correct batten spacing for the roof.

First up was to get the walls insulated. I already had enough insulation here so it just needed trimming to width on the table saw and then cutting to length to fit around the noggins. I did the easy walls first, the long side with no windows and the doorless gable end.

Next up was the door side and I just about managed to fix the last bit in place before my lunchtime pizza was served at 1:40.

Pizza and Coke consumed it was time to get the window wall sorted. While I didn't quite go to the extremes that Steve Maskery went to using offcuts, I did manage to end with no big bits left over. A few skinny offcuts were used here and there where it made sense.

With that all in I marked a chalk line 1450mm up from the bottom of the lowest plate and used that as the top of my 1500mm membrane. I left it on the roll and just went round 3 sides without stopping all the way to the door. I took that end inside for now and then just used a small bit to finish off. I was getting there and it hadn't been horrible to do despite the gale blowing all day. This was helped by it still being on the large roll.

The remaining uncovered area on the long sides was exactly half the width of the membrane so I reeled off 7.5m, rolled it back onto the tube from the other roll and then marked it halfway and cut it with the saw. Easy. Then I could tack it on without too much fuss on the long sides, the tops around the rafter feet need finishing off.

Then the fun of a 5x 1.5m section blowing all over the place as I secured it across the gable door end. That was less fun on a ladder and with it billowing everywhere.

That's where I ended for the day. First thing tomorrow I can get the rest covered and then sort the details. I've not tacked it all the way to the bottom as I might yet still do the half batten wedge wrapped in DPC on top of the bricks.

30th June 2020...
It looks less impressive today but a bunch of bits got sorted.

I finally chopped the ends off my ridge while sitting astride it, once complete I could get the last of the membrane on and tuck it under the roof membrane on the gable rafters.

With those two sails fitted in yet another gale I neatened up the membrane around the rafter feet before cutting up some batten on the table saw to use as my arris wrapped in DPC. For the first time in a few weeks I can see my brickwork properly!

And that was basically that. I started a bit of tidying inside the workshop itself as it basically just sawdust, membrane and OSB offcuts and tools sprawled everywhere.

My wife says my erection looks much less impressive when covered in plastic.

Stop it.
DBT85
Seedling

Postby DBT85 » 23 Mar 2021, 19:28

1st July 2020...
Another day that doesn't look like much. Just the roof battens done though not cut to length yet. It took a while with bits of tile and fascia in my hands and on a worktop to work out exactly what I was doing and where the first few needed to go, then measuring, checking, measuring, checking and finally doing.

So after all that its probably wrong anyway. :lol:

More battens, 22x100 and 50x50 arrives tomorrow. A welcome surprise as I only ordered it at 2pm. Kellaways Worcester apparently have another truck on the go now so no longer is it a week wait for everything. Maybe by the end of tomorrow I'll basically be ready to tile/clad? I still haven't even thought about a colour for paint.

2nd July 2020...
A bunch more battening done, just the other gable end to finish now. I spent a fair while working out which bits of the gable to do in which order and which bits if any were going to be visible or not. EG, the 50x50 along the underside of the roof battens mustn't stick out beyond the fascia which isn't yet fitted, so I got a bit of that clamped in place to cut and fix the 50x50, then I could work out the end battens, then the battens that sit under that 2x2, and then finally all the bits in the middle.

I've just chopped up a couple of bits of featheredge to see how far it protrudes so that I can mount the corner detail appropriately. That's with a 40mm overlap.

The LED panels also arrived so are tucked away. I'm waiting for the electrician to let me know when he can come and fit a CU in the workshop and hook me up with some power while I progress.

Still no closer on paint.

3rd July 2020...
That's the other gable battened out. My workshop currently looks like a Tron tribute.

I then spent some time sorting these corner details out. Making sure I had the battens in the right place, 25x100 in the right place and 25x65 in the right place, as per Mikes drawing.

I secured a bit of 45x45 to the batten which gave me the leading edge I needed to mount to as that's how far my FE will protrude as measured from my 200mm demo section pictured earlier. Trying to hold up bits in the wind and measure and screw them was pointless so this solved that as I had something I could clamp the 25x100 to as well.

45x45 mounted to batten as a gauge and clamping point
Once finished the 25x65 bit to be painted was sticking out way past the brickwork. NOOOOOO I specifically did the brick and block plinth to help avoid this. I got it wrong. :oops: Fortunately it was only a test run with everything screwed in place. I had the 25x100 mounted so that IT would cover the whole ends of the FE, which then meant that the 25x65 trim would stick out past it. Once I worked that out I re fitted and now it looks much better.

Fitted correctly, and nicely aligned with the plinth

What I'm still working out is the top. This test was just using an offcut for the 25x65 bit, so its only 600mm long and down at the bottom of the wall. For the top I need to work out where it will end, because there is a barge board to come down under the tiles as well as a fascia to fit to the plumb cut on the rafters. I don't the fiddly details, they don't show huge progress in just a few hours like framing or getting walls up!

What to do at the top for the corner detail.

All 4 corner details are now fixed in place with a few screws. I can secure them more while painting them.

I do need to decide if I want to fill this gap in the support for the corner detail. The gap you'd be able to see would be minimal. You can just about see the support in the next photo. I should do it shouldn't I really.
I removed my test featheredge and refitted once the corner detail was done to see how it looked. I'm happy with that. The bottom board is just pinned in place poking out a bit, I've not gone to the effort of doing the wedges yet, let alone taking the corner off of the feather edge.

Now that I can see where the fascia will end (as I now know where the barge board will come down) I can sort those tomorrow and do the juggling act of trying to work out how high it needs to be to keep my tiles supported properly. I think I'll tape the 3 bits I have together so at least I've a few less things to worry about. Maybe by Monday I can actually start tiling.

I also need to sort out around the door. I see Mike used some 25 by something as the end point for the cladding. Naturally I have some 25x150 here and I'd need 25x175 ish to cover the osb, stud, batten and cladding all around the door.

July 4th 2020...
It seems we might have decided on colour. We like the appeal of a stain rather than a paint but the medium oak appears a little too orange for our liking (I say this as a man with a ginger wife!) so after seeing this in the mahogany bedec we're probably going in that direction. Brewers want £250 for a 20l tin which is £50 more than online places. If anyone knows what it's like with a trade account I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: After having another look side by side and on a proper screen rather than a OLED phone with the chroma cranked up, we're now back with Medium Oak :lol:
In other news the electrician can't come for 3 weeks, on the up side that gives me time to basically it all in and ready to do and tested in one day.
DBT85
Seedling

Postby DBT85 » 24 Mar 2021, 09:08

6th July 2030...

It's feeling like slow days despite tinkering away most of the day.

I started off by finishing off the emergency lighting. I can now at least potter in there with light of an evening until the electrician comes in 3 weeks. Some of the 12 panels I have will be mounted like this, though not necessarily in this exact position. So this gives me an idea of how much light I'm working with and where it's being cast. When I do it properly the drivers will be hidden, though the flex will have to be on show albeit white against a white wall. I'll have to notch the frames to allow the flex in and out but it's only thin metal.

Emergency lighting

With that done I finally cut my fascias after first screwing up some offcuts to give me a position to work to. Faffing around trying to measure with a tape over 5-7m is a pain in the butt, so I just cut the first one to end on a rafter foot and then offered up a second to make it where it needed to be cut. Tidy.

With the length sorted I taped together my 3 tiles which will form the eaves and secured them to a batten, from there I could see how high the fascia needed to be and put a couple of screws in along the fascia to hold it there. It'll come off for painting.

Eaves tiles taped, though I guess I could have just used a straight edge for this bit.
Fake bargeboard in place

Fascia on and lots of rafter foot on show. Too much?

Next was the joyus job of trimming all the roof battens. 23 (I think) on each side so 92 all in. Most cut from atop the roof with the couple nearer the eaves done from the ladder. I sat and thought about it for about 10 minutes before cutting, pondering not only whether I should just use the tracksaw (I didn't), but also whether my brain was working right and I was correct in my thinking of where I needed to cut them. Checking a few reference photos and yes, they need to be behind the barge board and I now know exactly where that needs to be.

Off they all came and then I stuck some treatment on the ends just in case.

Next up was to cut those tiny filler bits for the corner details I questioned about the other day. Easy job. Then I got the corner details off, fitted the fillers and added a few more screws to hold everything together.

Onto the door hole and at last I cut some of the 25x150 to size and secured it in place. I only put a bit of 25x100 at the top because I don't have any more 25x150. Since I have to add extra to the 25x150 anyway to span the whole distance required I'll just do the same at the top with whatever I have left.

Battens cut, fascias fitted, door defined

That was that for the day. I'm really looking forward to having my paint so I can start making the large satisfying strides that make you feel like you actually got somewhere each day.

Last but not least, I now have some modicum of a deadline. I shall once again be broadcasting live sports as of the 23rd of July. My desire is to get the roof and walls clad and a door fitted before then. Anything else is a bonus.

7th July 2020...
Today was another rubbish day although it has reinforced my plan to get the roof done ASAP.

Brewers account activated. Hurrah.

20l tin of Bedec reduced to £180 with the voucher a new trade account gets. Hurrah.

Possibly a week for it to be in stock. NOOOOO!

Given that I don't want to go back to work with the roof and walls not clad, I'm going to take the decision to not wait to paint the fascias before the tiles go up. It's not ideal but it'll just have to do. There's no way I can do the roof and the walls in a week.

The reason I don't want it left as once I'm back at work properly I'm away for 4 or 5 days at a time and when I'm back I try to get at least some time with my wife and kid, so I'd rather not be tackling these big jobs that you just want to plough through all day.

With that in mind, a scaffold tower will be here at 9 tomorrow morning. I'd better work out what the hell I'm doing then really!

A late start coupled with the trip to get the interior paint, other home duties and the torrential downpour limited my actual progress to... sealing the 8 cut ends of the fascia.

I spent a bit of the afternoon making up a couple of jigs for tile cutting so that I'm not trying to measure and then hold a straight edge in place on the 46 eaves slates or all the doubles that will go up the verge. Those templates also include the holes for rivets on those verge slates so hopefully some of the brain work is already done. It also meant I was making my mistakes on the ground in the dry rather than on a scaffold in the pouring rain. The one I did make is of no consequence as the tile can be used elsewhere.

While in the dry of the workshop (and the slightly warmer as it was cold AF in the rain) and with my emergency lights on (which dim when I turn my tracksaw on!) I noticed a couple of drips coming from the rafter ties. I know the membrane is good as it was pooling with water at the rafter feet behind the fascia, I guess nail and staple holes were letting a little water in. The rain was constant for about 2 hours and the worst it got was a couple of tennis ball sized damp spots on the floor. With an actual roof over it it'll never be a problem.

I did also calculate my verge overhang so hopefully with the scaffold and the 70% chance of rain tomorrow I can get started.

8th July 2020...
Scaffold arrived

Tentatively plodding away. Though now I feel much more comfortable.

The heavens have opened once more and while I am stupid I'm not a fool. Time to stop for the day.

All in all happy enough with the progress, it feels quite slow but I've got the first verge finished now so I can just bang up the next 170 odd standard slates without too much fuss and then deal with the other verge.

The time spent thinking yesterday was well worth it, if nothing else it helped me wrap my head around it a bit more. As with everything it all clicks together once you've been at it all day. I've even stopped forgetting to put rivets in under the eaves tiles where needed. One thing that did come up was that my sums were out. Somehow I'd calculated that my tiles would overhang the end of the fascia board by 70mm. Fortunately I checked by nailing both ends up and measuring the distance and spotted the error. It should be 35mm.

Slate cutting was easy enough with the scribe tool from Hardy though I only cut one on the ridge. Since its rinse and repeat I batched a bunch out inside as well as drilling the appropriate holes for nails and rivets.

I got to the ridge and my brain did a little melt. I'd ended the penultimate tile on the batten just like all the others and cut the final tile to length. I kept looking at it thinking it must be wrong, that there wasn't enough lap from the ridge down to the penultimate course. A trip down to check the Marley documentation (because the Cembrit stuff is rubbish) and sure enough mine looks the same as the picture so happy days. To be sure I hopped up with a ridge tile and sure enough the edge of it comes down far enough that I'm happy. I'll cut the rest of the penultimate row a little longer anyway.

My to do list includes cutting a bunch more first and second course tiles as well as 23 top course and 21 penultimate course tiles to size. With those done I can just hoof them onto the roof and get them up without stopping to cut tiles on the roof all the time.

I'll have to make sure I give myself an escape route on the other side of the roof!

So there we have it. Some progress at last.
DBT85
Seedling

Postby DBT85 » 24 Mar 2021, 09:24

July 9th 2020...
Another one of those days. A haircut (finally), a meeting and the wettest July in memory have helped contribute to about 14 tiles going up compared to yesterday.

I started off by getting to the ridge with some batten. I was going to need to put some on the ridge itself to help screw the ridge tiles to anyway, but I had a cunning plan. While my penultimate and top slates were apparently ok, it still left me feeling irked. A solution presented itself easily enough. Take the penultimate tile right up to the batten on the ridge, and nail the top tiles to the ridge batten itself. A much larger lap is achieved below the ridge tile.

So batten up, new 1.5 tile cut, drilled, part nailed, nails removed because I forgot the farkin rivet, rivet in place, secured again, top tile cut and secured in place.

Next up I wanted some string lines to make sure things were running right. Just pinned under the ends of the eaves slates and taught around a nail at the opposite end. I now have 3 handy trip wires on the working side of the roof because it's not hazardous enough up there.

I sat and tiled in some rain before it really started belting down. Time to get off the roof before I slide off it.

It looks pitiful compared to yesterday but I've sorted some bits out and worked out how best to place the rivets for the next tiles so I'll take it for now. Tomorrow I have a whole day to myself and only 10% chance of rain with good weather for the next 4 or 5 days, at last. The ground around the workshop is like a bog.

I already had 50 odd tiles in the workshop ready for cutting to size so I took the chance in the pouring rain to get those done. I now have enough cut to do all the 1st, 2nd and penultimate tiles without cutting on this side of the roof. The penultimate ones are a bit of a pain as I need to cut 20mm off the end. They score easily enough but with not much material to grab hold of snapping the waste off isn't easy, so a little grabby jig later and I could do them in short order.

Tiles cut and ready and a few template tiles used to cut and drill others

Maybe, just maybe, I can make better progress tomorrow.

10th July 2020...
A nice day for it today. It still spat a bit but no torrential rain. Shocking news. When you're not getting urinated on from a great height you can actually get things done!

Its not been easy moving the scaffold around the soggy clay surrounding the workshop but its now at its final resting place for that side of the roof. I even already have my ladder set up on the other side as an escape route.

I got plenty done today and am now 9 tiles from the point that I have to start the other verge. I did get the tape measure out to check my laps and make a few minor corrections along the roof as I was worried about getting to the other end and being out. Most importantly I got to the other end with my first course and everything fit so my spacings were ok

11th July 2020...
The roof is half done! Hurrah.

I'd hoped to get a bit more done but some bits came up, I was at least able to start prep for tomorrow which will be getting the first verge done on the visible side of the workshop.

The biggest faff in all honesty has been moving the scaffold around as its been so wet. Fortunately it was easy enough for the final bit on that verge and now it'll be fine on the other side of the workshop.

Tomorrow will only be a half day so I can enjoy a film and some popcorn with my little girl, then Monday I can get into it full swing and see how far along I can get! I do need to get the screws to hold the ridge tiles down so may well go fetch them tomorrow or Monday.

Is there any reason I can't be putting ridge tiles on as I'm going along rather than doing it all at the end?

Still working out my shopping list for electrical bits inside too.

July 14th 2020...
Looking forward to getting the roof all done and the cladding on.

I've gone and burned the back of my neck over the last few days. My tan all came while I was a hairy sod during lockdown, now that I've had it cut back my neck was the only bit that was still pastey white and is now glowing red. Despite that sunshine, it's also been raining a lot. so its been stop start.

It's still not done, but the end is nigh.

With the rain stopping play quite early yesterday the plan today was to just crack on and do as much as I could.

With the scaffold now much easier to move around I managed to get all the way to the point where I now just have to deal with the final verge. That'll be fun. When I did the other side I could just escape down this side when I was finished. I'll have no such luxury this time. Fortunately this scaffold goes to 3m if I need it which I think I probably will.

All that remains

Ridge tiles on and finishing it off nicely

A huge box of sockets, conduit fittings and gutter fitting arrived today. With the roof soon to be complete I can worry about painting the inside. I didn't want to do that while I was still getting drips in places. Once its got paint up I can do my sockets and get the SWA in ready for whenever the electrician is coming.

Can't wait to not be on the roof any more. My backside is so sore and bruised from sitting on battens all day.

15th July 2020...
Done. Finally.

Tomorrow I can finish off some little OSB bits inside under the ridge and maybe get some white on the walls.

So pleased to be done with the roof!
DBT85
Seedling

Postby DBT85 » 24 Mar 2021, 09:46

19th July 2020...
With no hope at all of getting the cladding done (still no paint) and no materials or an idea where to start on a door and work looming on Wednesday, I started on the inside instead. First up was to cover the void under the ridge. Some OSB cut to width and then with a shallower angle than the roof cut on either side meant it went up quite well. Then it was time to paint. Yay.

1st coat done

15l of paint later and it's as done as it's going to get. Sadly I don't have a nice sprayer so it was all done with a roller. One downside of the OSB is that with all the little surface voids it can be a pain getting a perfect finish, but at the end of the day it's only a workshop. I'm happy enough. It was at least nice to have it completely empty while painting so none of the usual trying to move things around or climb over stuff as you go.

With that done I started mounting the frames for some of the lights. I'm putting 4 up on the ceiling either side in the vaulted section and then 2 each at either end mounted on the underside of the joists. Those will probably be added to in time to balance the light out a bit if I feel like it needs it.

6 LED panel mounts up

Very short day today as it's movie day and then I've decided to give myself the afternoon watching the F1 and the football, something I've not actually done since its all come back as I've been doing all this.

Once the lights are mounted I can start on sorting sockets out and running the SWA and ethernet in.

20th July 2020...
With no cable to continue (and screwfix not having any either) I cracked on mounting sockets and conduit. I got a nice height with my little laser level (step 4 on my ladder!) and put the first ones in 50cm from the wall and then divided the gap into a number that looked ok. They are on about 815mm centres in the end Way more than I'll ever need, but I'll never be looking for a socket at least. I ran out of sockets so I have 8 more to go in. You do have to be careful doing the knockouts though as if you just go for brute force you'll bend the boxes!

It's not going to get much more done for a bit now as I'm back at work for 4 days as of Wednesday. Now I'm going to have to go back to balancing work, parenting and nobbing around in the garden doing this!

21st July 2020...
This is where I've ended for now. I finished putting my sockets up and running the conduit and then used what 2.5mm t&e I had to get some cable in. Since I also had the smoke detector in hand I secured that in place.

I now have to go back to work so progress will slow substantially.

12th August 2020...
Well its been nearly a month since my last update but such is life and work when it gets in the way.

Over the last couple of days I managed to get all 12 lights up and lit. Their connections should be final but the lashed up plug to see how it looks is naturally not final.

My paint is also in stock so I might actually be able to get this cladded this year!

It's not as overly bright in the middle as I expected which I'm guessing is down to the height of the top 4 lights spreading the love everywhere. I may end up changing things but right now I'm happy with the lighting.

SWA is being run around the house but it's baking here today so a break has been earned.

28th August 2020...
Exactly what I feared would happen has happened. Time has evaporated as soon as I had to go back to work.

I have at least got just over half of the featheredge painted ready to start fitting this coming week. Hopefully the weather plays ball. I'll not be able to get anything done again after this week for at least 2 weeks.

1st Sep 2020...
I needed to get my wedges cut for my bottom board, but since I figured that would be easiest with a bottom board with the routed section on it I got one of my test pieces cut first. I only really needed the one router bit but since that was going to be a tenner I just got the Trend 30 piece set for I tihnk £35. I'll probably never use many of them, but If I only ever use a handful It'll have been ok. If I wear one out I can just buy a more expensive one for that in particular.

Anyway, routed edge cut with my little Bosch 600 palm router and it worked fine in 2 or 3 passes. Next to cut some wedges. I just used the mitre saw to get some batten to length and then had to nob about swapping blades over on my bandsaw to cut them to an actual wedge, it took a couple of attempts to get the right size. With those cut and treated I secured them on the small back wall and set about installing the stainless steel insect mesh.

Finally ready to board!

Except I now need to cut a board to length, route the cove on the back, paint the cove and the end and THEN I can install it.

So that was my progress. One board. Tomorrow at least I can just bang a load up and feel better about myself!

40 something boards painted and now dry. It's like painting a sponge. A full 9" roller covers maybe 3 or at best 4ft before needing to be dunked again.

Today's progress. 1 board.

Apart from that, my electrician has had to move the install date owing to his mothers funeral being on the same day :( He apologised. I told him some things in life are more important.

Also I ordered my doors, I don't have the time or skill yet to make my own and I need it done. I opted for two equal doors of 780mm. In my head I thought that wasn't wide enough if I only want to open one until I actually measured one of the doors in the house!

Also I treated (trut? trote?) myself to a Festool TS55. My first Festool so the mortgage payments aren't yet too high. £400 for the saw in systainer with the 1.4m track so a little less than I've seen it for before.

Oh any my heater arrived. Only a 2kw for now but there's room to add another if needed.
DBT85
Seedling

Postby DBT85 » 24 Mar 2021, 10:54

2nd Sep 2020...
Naturally it started raining again just as I started boarding again today so I finished off upto the start of the gable and then set about other tasks like cutting the other 40 wedges, cutting boards for the door side etc.

Just about to start putting those up to at least the top of the door. Then the fiddly bit of cutting around the door or doing the gable cuts can start.

I think I've just enough boards painted now to do one full long side, leaving just the other long side and the gables to finish.

Nice to feel like some progress even if at this exact moment it's only actually 13 boards nailed up today. The actual boarding is the fast bit!

Many bits of batten cut to length prior to being cleft in twain by the bandsaw to use was wedges.

Cladman tool in use, works very well and it only took about 25 minutes to go from this to the next photo

As I said, putting the boards up is the fastest bit after you've painted them, cut them, re painted the ends, routed the cove in the first board etc.

Last bit for the day was sorting the wedges and mesh on the door wall. I then nailed the first boards up either side of the door and called it a day.

3rd Sep 2020...
Well that's it for the cladding today as I have no more painted boards left. I was on track to be able to do 2 rows on the long side with just 3 boards, till I remembered that there isn't a stud at 4.8m from one end so I'd have to cut every board until I reached the windows.

Since the windows are being covered for now but will at some point be cut out properly, I got away with using full boards and some of the offcuts from the rows below. The ends are not fixed in the middle of the window opening but that's fine as it's getting cut out eventually anyway. I've staggered the boards so there's not actually any movement to worry about at the ends anyway. It'll look nicer when it has windows that's for sure.

Time to clean the workshop and get ready to paint the remaining 32 boards. I THINK I have enough to do everything that's left. :shock: That's why I've done the front before the back. I'd rather have as few joins as possible in the side that'll get more eyes on it.

6th Sep 2020...
The end of my week at home and I'm happy enough with the progress. There are 2 rows to finish on the back side, 1 on the front and then the gable at the far end. I'm about 5 boards short to do it all :text-lol: :ROFLMAO: . Me covering up those windows has bitten me a little there I think.

Anyway, pentice board in place (I did put with some dpc up behind itbefore continuing to board). I'll be redoing the vertical parts of the door frame as I want to neaten that up and they actually aren't deep enough anyway as its only 1x6 and needs to be nearer 1x7.

Then it was time to cut out the part over the door. Fortunately the wife helped me lift that up otherwise it was going to split. I used an offcut to make a template to test one end and when happy just marked a board appropriately.

The fun of measuring the gable end. I ended up cutting 2 offcuts to the right angle, securing them in place with a screw and then measuring between the tips. Worked great and it turned out that each row was simply 500mm shorter than the one below. That made life a bit easier.

Where we stand for the moment. I'm happier now that it is much better protected than it was at the start of the week. It'll probably be 2 weeks now before I can do much more and of course I need more featheredge and some other bits to finish it all off anyway.

DBT85
Seedling

Postby TrimTheKing » 24 Mar 2021, 11:50

Very nice looking building indeed mate.

So I'm intrigued, who do you work for in your broadcasting, if you don't mind me asking?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Malc2098 » 24 Mar 2021, 11:55

Nice build.

Brings back memories of my own.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby DBT85 » 24 Mar 2021, 13:06

TrimTheKing wrote:Very nice looking building indeed mate.

So I'm intrigued, who do you work for in your broadcasting, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks!

These days it's IMG for the Premier League (most countries that are not the UK) and Sport 24 (live sport on ships and planes). Over the last 18 years its been CNBC (live stocks and shares new channel), SciFi channel, Eurosport channels and this. I also worked briefly for the Football League also here at IMG on the iFollow productions. "directed" a few league 1 and 2 games and cut the 2 and 10 minute highlights together. I use directed in quotes because those games were only 1 camera :lol: . But still had to do all the replays, update the scoreboard, show graphics for subs and cars etc.

Incidentally today is my last day as a full time freelancer. Only doing 6 days a month from now on.
DBT85
Seedling

Postby TrimTheKing » 24 Mar 2021, 13:18

Very good. So what you going to do for the other 14 working days for the month then?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby DBT85 » 24 Mar 2021, 14:05

TrimTheKing wrote:Very good. So what you going to do for the other 14 working days for the month then?

:lol: 20 working days a month!

I have child to dad, a wife to husband, a small farm to help run, a cottage business to help run, a handyman business to get running (helped in part by me having to maintain our house, my in laws house and the 3 holiday cottages as well as another cottage we own). It's all in part why the build slowed down when I had to go back to my regular 10-12 days a month "real" work which I have to do away from home.

Days off? Those are spent in the workshop doing things like finally building something to put my mitre saw on with lots of storage for lots of things that still, this long after the build completed, are just sitting on a 2x8 bit of chipboard sitting on some sawhorses!
DBT85
Seedling

Postby TrimTheKing » 24 Mar 2021, 14:20

Haha, I get all that, but what pays the bills? I love dadding my kids, but I don't get any money from them for it! :lol:

Incidentally I just noticed where in the world you are. I could possibly have driven past your place more than once over the years. My aunt and uncle lived down the road in Bricklehampton for a few years so I've spent a good amount of time driving and walking around the roads around you. Lovely area.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby DBT85 » 24 Mar 2021, 14:30

TrimTheKing wrote:Haha, I get all that, but what pays the bills? I love dadding my kids, but I don't get any money from them for it! :lol:

Incidentally I just noticed where in the world you are. I could possibly have driven past your place more than once over the years. My aunt and uncle lived down the road in Bricklehampton for a few years so I've spent a good amount of time driving and walking around the roads around you. Lovely area.

Oh I see. Well with some changes we've made to the business' we're finally able to reap some income from a project that was "finished" 7 years ago but has been sucking up income to fix the useless work done by the builders, income has nigh doubled and outgoing have probably halved. That means I can do less of my TV work to be able to spend more time at home focusing on the other business' with the aim to stop the TV work entirely before July 1 st 2023, which will be my 20th anniversary! Still young enough to do something else!

I know of Bricklehampton but I don't think I've ever ventured there in particular but of course have been past it, but then I've only been here 5 years. This is my wife's stomping ground really, we live in the house her family home. But yes, lovely area and a fair bit different to the concrete hell that Croydon was which is where I'm from.
DBT85
Seedling

Postby TrimTheKing » 24 Mar 2021, 14:36

Ahhhh, that makes sense. Excellent, sounds like a good position to be in. :eusa-dance:

I fully expect to see a lot of woodwork coming out of that shop in the not too distant future then! :eusa-whistle:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby DBT85 » 24 Mar 2021, 15:53

TrimTheKing wrote:Ahhhh, that makes sense. Excellent, sounds like a good position to be in. :eusa-dance:

I fully expect to see a lot of woodwork coming out of that shop in the not too distant future then! :eusa-whistle:

Well that's the ideal, though most isn't going to be what most consider "real" woodwork :lol:

I did make a single loft bed for a friends kid at the start of the month from actual real wood and am making a birch ply 3mx2m built in in cabinet/bookcase for them in April, both paid which is nice. Plus if we do fit the solar battery storage at the farm we're in the midsts of getting a quote for I'll have to make at least 1 nice vented cabinet to hide it all away which will also be paid.

We shall see. We'll never move out of this house so unless I need more space somehow, this is my workshop hopefully for the next 40 years.
DBT85
Seedling

Previous

Return to Workshop Builds