It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:12

Mike's Workshop Build (Extension & slates)

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Mike's Workshop Build (now with photos)

Postby Mike G » 06 Aug 2014, 19:36

Right, the camera has made it safely back from Northern Spain, so here are the first few photos of the slab.

Here is the slab from the SW corner, still being wetted down to slow the drying-out as much as possible. The slower it dries, the stronger it will be, and the less the chance of cracking. I covered it with tarpaulins for 24 hours after doing the power-floating. Most of the western edge of the slab is at about ground level, but on the eastern side it is up to 6 inches above ground. I'll have to alter the ground levels to suit afterwards.

A close up of the box for the incoming electricity and phone cables. The plinth will be 150 wide, so this is spaced to allow for the brickwork. I thought it easier to cut this out neatly afterwards than to try to cast the lid flush. There is a similar box for an in-floor socket.

A view of the foundations to the rear. These will support posts holding up the roof overhang over the wood-store, but their main function at the moment was using up any spare concrete from the main pour. I had holes all over the garden for the same purpose.

The 1950's brakeless single cylinder diesel dumper which ferried the wet concrete (a third of a cubic metre at a time) some 30 metres across the garden.

The setting:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 06 Aug 2014, 19:43

I can already see the spot in the 'shop floor where the new lathe is going to go Mike! :mrgreen: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 06 Aug 2014, 19:45

Woodbloke wrote:I can already see the spot in the 'shop floor where the new lathe is going to go Mike! :mrgreen: - Rob
:D

I'll have a little bet that I buy a metal-working lathe before I ever consider a wood-spinning-thingy....
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 06 Aug 2014, 20:41

Good to have piccies Mike!

I think I can remember those dumpers as a child (of the fifties). It was the first rear wheel steered machine I'd come across.
They used to emit clouds of black smoke at start up and hand cranked from what I remember too.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 06 Aug 2014, 21:31

9fingers wrote:Good to have piccies Mike!

I think I can remember those dumpers as a child (of the fifties). It was the first rear wheel steered machine I'd come across.
They used to emit clouds of black smoke at start up and hand cranked from what I remember too.

Bob

Exactly. And where's the crank?..............Yep, right next to the exhaust pipe, which fires the first puff of noxious black stuff straight at your face! Driving it is a bit like driving a hovercraft, with steering having a long lag, and braking being notional at best. Goodness knows how we didn't lose the thing into the excavation at some point.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 06 Aug 2014, 21:45

Looks like a very nice rural spot and a long way from your house?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby DaveL » 06 Aug 2014, 21:46

Looking good Mike. One of my old friends worked on a site where the chap starting the dumper got the handle stuck, he had never seen a sit clear so fast.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Mike G » 06 Aug 2014, 21:59

Rod wrote:Looks like a very nice rural spot and a long way from your house?

Rod

Very rural, Rod. We are surrounded by a field on 3 sides, with a neighbour about 50 metres up the road. There is a wood across the lane, and a huge pond. The workshop is probably 25 metres from the back of the house.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 06 Aug 2014, 22:01

DaveL wrote:Looking good Mike. One of my old friends worked on a site where the chap starting the dumper got the handle stuck, he had never seen a sit clear so fast.

:D Excellent! And the only way to stop the engine is to hold up a decrompressor lever for about 30 seconds or so. The guy who did that with a crank whizzing around at a rate of knots was a very brave chap.......
Last edited by Mike G on 07 Aug 2014, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Coley » 06 Aug 2014, 22:17

Looks like it'll be the workshop dreams are made of !!
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Graham Haydon » 06 Aug 2014, 23:40

What a retreat! Would be very nice to have my own space like that. Looking forward to more of the build.
Hello, would you like to be bored? Yes I hear you say, then visit the blog http://gshaydon.co.uk/blog
Graham Haydon
Seedling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 07 Aug 2014, 06:57

I'm not jealous :mrgreen:
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 07 Aug 2014, 20:35

Here's the next phase of the work: the plinth. Note the fancy brickwork, and the 50mm blocks, which are there to prevent a 60 or 70 mm overhang of the boards outside the line of the bricks, which is a detail I am quite anal about.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 07 Aug 2014, 20:42

Is the sole plate meant to be on the "wet" side Mike?

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 07 Aug 2014, 21:00

I don't know what you mean, Bob. The frame is on the inside of the building, the bricks and boards are on the outside.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 07 Aug 2014, 21:09

I'd miss read the notes and assume the dotted line to be DPM. My error. Apologies

I presume there will be something by way of a DPC under the sole plate and then down over the arris to stop any moisture wicking up through the soft brick into the timber?

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 07 Aug 2014, 21:18

Yes, omitted in error. The sole plate will sit on a 150mm DPC which goes flat on top of the bricks, and under the arris. The secondary DPC, over the arris, will lap over the top of the primary DPC. The former is to prevent rising moisture, the latter to help remove any falling moisture from leakage through the boarding, or, unlikely but possible, interstitial condensation within the wall.
Last edited by Mike G on 08 Aug 2014, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 07 Aug 2014, 21:21

Something else not shown is that the sole plate may well be bedded on mortar, as the bricks I am using are rather varied in shape. It will be difficult to achieve any sort of flat surface on top of the plinth on which the sole plate would sit flat, without a mortar bed. The alternative is to bed the plate on silicon. I specify this for houses, but it may be overkill for a workshop.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 07 Aug 2014, 21:30

I'm intrigued by the silicone bedding Mike. Is that because it will remain resilient whereas mortar might crack with the construction work when building upwards?

I've certainly had bedding mortar crack at wall plate level when starting on the roofing a bit too quickly after bedding the wall plate.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 07 Aug 2014, 21:39

In a house it is to ensure air-tightness at a very vulnerable point in the fabric of the building. Take the nozzle off the silicon tube, because you're going to want lots of the stuff! A low modulous silicon will keep a good grip even if the timber moves quite a bit. With an oak plate, I have specified a 2 rebates with a strip of those expanding tapes, for the same purpose.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 07 Aug 2014, 21:43

Ah! that makes sense thanks Mike.

So yes possibly way OTT for a workshop then as well as the cost.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 08 Aug 2014, 07:46

Mike your pictures are not as good as they used to be :D
This is one you prepared quite a few years back that I have safely tucked away for future use and has a little more detail.

Hope you don't mind me posting
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 08 Aug 2014, 08:53

Not at all, Andy. It's only minor variations from that old scheme that I am proposing......mainly because I don't like to see boarding sticking out so far from the plinth. I also am screwing the straps to the base, rather than casting them in (because of the power-float, and the general nuisance of straps sticking out of concrete). Other than that, much the same.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 11 Aug 2014, 16:47

Mike

I like the amendment to the plinth detail versus the prior version to avoid an overhang by the cladding. One question though, the new version of the plinth shows a 50mm block, are these a relatively standard item? I have only ever seen 100mm wide contrete blocks - but then I rarely stray further afield than Wickes!

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Mike G » 11 Aug 2014, 19:52

Wizard9999 wrote:Mike

I like the amendment to the plinth detail versus the prior version to avoid an overhang by the cladding. One question though, the new version of the plinth shows a 50mm block, are these a relatively standard item? I have only ever seen 100mm wide contrete blocks - but then I rarely stray further afield than Wickes!

Terry.

Absolutely standard at a Builder's Merchant, Terry. I suspect that even Wickes would be able to get them in for you, but a decent Builder's merchant should keep them in stock.

Mike
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds