It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:53

Small workshop

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Small workshop

Postby RogerS » 16 Dec 2018, 16:08

Oh Michael, Michael, Michael....what have you done ? :(

I had absolutely no idea that Axminster had a shop up here ! I have been in blissful ignorance all this time. And now I'll have to visit it tomorrow as I have a morning appointment at the RVI and so will have the car !

Regarding your bandsaw, if you only want to use it for the mould a couple of times a year then it would be cheaper for you to jump in the car and drive down to me and I can do it for you on my bandsaw. Or even post it.

But a man should never get in the way of another from purchasing tools :lol:

That bandsaw will be fine. I have had the earlier version - an AWSB2 -for ten years or more and it's a little cracker. I have had much larger bandsaws in my time and they've all been sold at some point or another. Not this one. You do need to do two things though. First, throw away the blade that comes with it a usually they are naff. Then ring Ian at Tuffsaws, tell him what you want to cut, curve radius etc and he will advise you. His blades are excellent and he is very helpful.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 16 Dec 2018, 16:29

Sorry Roger be careful which address you go to as it has recently moved from a retail park to an industrial estate. You will find a frozen food store in their old shop :D That would be really disappointing.

I did try looking for a used Festool mft as you suggested but they were all mega bucks as they say, I did see one in Kendal on gumtree but I cant find it again.

I noticed the ebay one you linked to also has a beech ply version but without the free dogs which is best.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby 9fingers » 16 Dec 2018, 16:44

When looking for machines do consider used ones of a quality make. You will get better value for money generally than buying new.

I've only ever bought one woodworking machine new my tablesaw and whilst I'm very happy with it, if I had my time again I'd buy a used startrite or Wadkin in a heartbeat.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 16 Dec 2018, 16:53

MY63 wrote:....

I noticed the ebay one you linked to also has a beech ply version but without the free dogs which is best.

I don't think there's much to choose between them - assuming that any MDF one is MRMDF. But if the MDF one is Medite MRMDF then I'd go for that.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 16 Dec 2018, 17:19

9fingers wrote:When looking for machines do consider used ones of a quality make. You will get better value for money generally than buying new.

I've only ever bought one woodworking machine new my tablesaw and whilst I'm very happy with it, if I had my time again I'd buy a used startrite or Wadkin in a heartbeat.
Bob

Hi Bob I would consider a used machine as you suggest although my lack of knowledge would be a disadvantage. The Axminster one is not available until next month.

Roger yes it is Medite MDF I plan to order it tomorrow.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 16 Dec 2018, 17:43

Several people on here who would be willing to help you. Make use of the members map and maybe find some one near to one for sale to look at it for you?

Look out for Kity, Elu and Inca machines (amongst others). Highly thought of and do come up from time to time. Set up some ebay searches for models that interest you and they will email when one gets listed.
Cast iron tables are a must. Aluminium one are invariably twisted.
Usually SH price plus a few hundred miles of fuel will get you a better deal than new.

Don't forget that a second hand machine can usually be sold on for what you paid for it when it comes the time to upgrade. You can never do that with a new machine.

Certainly Tuffsaws are amongst the best if not the best blades and personal service from Ian John is second to none. He has built his business on reputation in the forums.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 16 Dec 2018, 18:07

9fingers wrote:Several people on here who would be willing to help you. Make use of the members map and maybe find some one near to one for sale to look at it for you?

Look out for Kity, Elu and Inca machines (amongst others). Highly thought of and do come up from time to time. Set up some ebay searches for models that interest you and they will email when one gets listed.
Cast iron tables are a must. Aluminium one are invariably twisted.
Usually SH price plus a few hundred miles of fuel will get you a better deal than new.

Don't forget that a second hand machine can usually be sold on for what you paid for it when it comes the time to upgrade. You can never do that with a new machine.

Bob

The drawback with that approach up here, Bob, is that even with a radius of 100 miles, the number of items that come up are few and far between. I just had a quick look and found nothing suitable for Michael. Of course, if he's not in a desperate hurry then your suggestion for setting up a search is excellent and one I've used a lot.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 16 Dec 2018, 18:27

One thing to bear in mind, Michael, is the distance between the blade and the frame as that will determine the largest piece you can put in there, and manoeuvre round the bends.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 17 Dec 2018, 10:26

Gents, I read you talking about buying 2H on gtree and bay.

It is worth a look in Facebook Marketplace. I have bought and sold a few things there recently. Clearances of older people (now deceased) often crop up by their families.

And in all these online 'shops', regular checking is the secret to finding and actually buying something before someone else snaffles it. Sunday night is a good time. I got a couple of nice clamps last night for £20. Just off out to pick them up.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 17 Dec 2018, 16:52

Malc2098 wrote:Gents, I read you talking about buying 2H on gtree and bay.

It is worth a look in Facebook Marketplace. I have bought and sold a few things there recently. Clearances of older people (now deceased) often crop up by their families.

And in all these online 'shops', regular checking is the secret to finding and actually buying something before someone else snaffles it. Sunday night is a good time. I got a couple of nice clamps last night for £20. Just off out to pick them up.

But you need to be a member of Faecebook, I believe.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 17 Dec 2018, 17:03

RogerS wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:Gents, I read you talking about buying 2H on gtree and bay.

But you need to be a member of Faecebook, I believe.

You're a bad boy, but you're quite right, Roger. I was forgetting that some of my contemporaries are not yet connected to the outside world by social meeja! But then what is WH2, if not SM?! :)

I find FB a better platform to message friends and family and share/forward files etc than texting and I can do it from phone, tablet or desktop.

Oh, and BTW, the Marketplace platform is a little less formal than GTree in that most sales/purchases down here in the far SW take place relatively locally (up to a couple of towns away) and you get chatting to your vendor who then says what else are you looking for. Today's vendor is closing down his 'shop and among other things has a pillar drill for sale, better spec than my current one and at a good price. I've sold more stuff successfully on FB than I have on GT.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 17 Dec 2018, 17:40

MY63 wrote:Sorry Roger be careful which address you go to as it has recently moved from a retail park to an industrial estate. ...

LOL...SatNav really got its knickers in a twist. Wanted me to turn into the A1 roadworks! Then it got me to the Tyne Tunnel Trading Estate but then had me running around in circles. So I drove into the first convenient side road and Googled where the store was. Hamar Close...mmmm...sounds familiar, he thought, isn't that the road I've just driven up..he thought...looking up to see he'd parked outside Axminster :oops:

Credit card burning a hole in my pocket but all I came away with was some new Titebond....even though I have a lot left I see little point in risking a project for the sake of a few quid....some application brushes and some rare earth magnets. I looked at their Trade thicknesser and came away very underwhelmed...so obviously lower end Chinese.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 17 Dec 2018, 20:47

The new super three tier roundabout on the A19 is causing some issues I think it is due to finish early next year.
I was near there myself at the Silverlink (retail park) Christmas shopping with my son.
The Tyne Tunnel trading estate has an odd layout to say the least. I feel really bad as I could have directed you to it had I thought.
I quite like Axminster they have a resident turner (Walter) on a Tuesday morning he made some custom oak leatherworking tools on the lathe for me. I made him a belt in return.
There are usually 12 to 15 people there actually I might pop in tomorrow and see if anyone knows of a used bandsaw for sale.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 17 Dec 2018, 22:17

RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 17 Dec 2018, 22:44

The Tyne Tunnel trading estate has an odd layout to say the least

Gawd, YES!

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby MY63 » 18 Dec 2018, 10:52

Thanks for the suggestions Roger I have found this one and would appreciate any thoughts.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/power-saws/2n ... 1323116339

I hope the link works
MY63
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 18 Dec 2018, 11:22

Looks to be ex school/industry but surprisingly clean and tidy for that.

From what I found it was last made 1998 so possibly the design dates back to the days of DW taking over Elu designs which is a strong positive (guesswork!) Limited spares support now according to DW

It is possibly at the top of the price range for a S/H machine but if it runs well and the tyres & guides are good and nothing broken might be worth it. If you are happy with it offer £150 and see the reaction.

If the seller offers extra blades by all means take them but don't associate them with much value or a bargaining point. Useful for learning with until new ones turn up from Tuffsaws.

Good Luck

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby MY63 » 18 Dec 2018, 14:17

Thanks Bob
I must admit I am not sure about spending that sort of money on a machine that is at least 20 years old.
Thanks for your advice
Michael
MY63
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 18 Dec 2018, 14:28

MY63 wrote:Thanks Bob
I must admit I am not sure about spending that sort of money on a machine that is at least 20 years old.
Thanks for your advice
Michael

I think age has to be interpreted with care. Something 20 years old is possibly designed 25-30 years ago before the accountants drove engineering decisions.
On something as simple a band saw, there will not have been many if any technology improvements in that time. Unless the machine looks like it has been used heavily day in day out for 20 years, which this one does not, I don't think age is an issue quite possibly is an advantage over modern Chaiwanese imports.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 18 Dec 2018, 15:01

My thoughts,
Ring seller see if you can take an example of want you want to do and see if you can test his machine doing it. Of course if he does not have a sharp blade any testing might not be a good indication.
Also check other auction sites and see if any similar models have been sold and for what price.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby MY63 » 18 Dec 2018, 18:06

Thanks again Bob I did a search of 200 mm bandsaws and noticed that many of them were the same shape and had clearly came from the same factory and had a different paint job and badge fitted.

Andy the last ones I can find were some years ago and sold for around £100 I have sent an email asking if he has used it and if so did it run well, I also asked if he knew the history of the machine. Oh and if he is open to offers.

Do you think it would be worth contacting Tuffsaws to ask if they have a blade for this machine.

Thanks again

Michael
MY63
Old Oak

Postby DaveL » 18 Dec 2018, 18:14

Tuffsaws can make a blade to fit any machine, that one will not be a problem.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby MY63 » 18 Dec 2018, 19:53

Thanks Dave one less job for me :)
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 18 Dec 2018, 22:00

Good news my work bench with dogs and holes is being delivered tomorrow bad news I don’t have anywhere to put it. Early start tomorrow for me.
Any suggestions for a good varnish for it.
Thanks
Michael
MY63
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 18 Dec 2018, 22:06

MY63 wrote:Good news my work bench with dogs and holes is being delivered tomorrow bad news I don’t have anywhere to put it. Early start tomorrow for me.
Any suggestions for a good varnish for it.
Thanks
Michael

I think that, much as I don't like 'oils', I'd be inclined to put something like Osmo Polyx on or any hard wax oil.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds