It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:16

It’s getting closer

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: It’s getting closer

Postby RogerS » 27 Jul 2020, 07:29

MJ80 wrote:We went shopping to the local big town near us for the first time since the outbreak began. The response over here has been so different to the chaos I am seeing in the UK. The Germans got lots of things right from the chaos at the start. The manual contact tracing and containment - anyone who had contact with an infected person was put into self isolation with a really heavy fine enforced, drive through test centres were set up. GP's directed any potential infections directly to the test centre and then into self isolation whilst the results came back. Obviously the lock down and closing the schools. The reopening of business has been going OK as far as I can see, screens are up at counters, a facemask must be worn in shops and people are generally keeping the social distance. You need to take a trolley into a shop as a social barrier, simple but it keeps the message. There is the contact tracing app up and running now as well, which should help keep an overview on how things progress.
Anyway into the big town and the centre of town was busy, shops had one way systems going with entry and exit. You had to sanitize your hands when entering a shop, most places had a member of staff with a clicker keeping track of numbers in the shop. I know it is all slower and I am happy with that. Some here don't realise how lucky they are with the response and how the rate has been pushed down. The kids are looking at starting school full time after the holiday. Where there have been outbreaks and flare ups the districts have been placed into immediate lockdown again. My big worry is this is going to be a big calm before the next wave which is going to hit us soon, we are only at the beginning of this story.
Stay safe people.

Yup. It's been well-documented just how excellent the German response was. Very good article in the FT Weekend a while back. Meanwhile, back here in Middle Earth..oops, sorry, Muddle Earth :( BoJo's still looking for the brewery.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 27 Jul 2020, 10:18

Roger...there really is no point. I don't go out. The only person I can infect is my wife and if I really do have it then she would have picked it up by now. The only plus point I can see would be knowing that if I had it and that that gives me immunity then I don't need to worry about going out in the future.[/quote]

RogerS please be aware that just because you have had the virus does not mean you are immune from future infections. There is so much we dont know about covid 19.

Dont let your guard down is my advice.

Regarding the decisions made by HMG I hope once Sir Mark Sedwill leaves office we might actually find out the truth for once.
I did note with interest that the announcement for Spain quarantine came from Jonathan Van-Tam deputy CMO rather than a politician. In the past when the scientists did not agree they changed the scientist. Now the bad news is given by the scientists
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby Andyp » 27 Jul 2020, 10:46

with regards to the latest quarantine from Spain advice. I guess it would have been better to wait another couple of weeks, then give a further two weeks notice just to see quite how many people would rush to get a holiday in beforehand.
So many have commended New Zealand's approach but as soon as Bojo goes even a fraction as far the poor sod is criticised
What ever the government do they aint never gonna please all the people all the time.

I aint no fan of politics if any colour or shade in fact I am extremely cynical of a system that requires the opposition to do just that oppose everything the incumbent government does and a media, radio, print and tv, that actively encourage "expert opinion" from only those that hold a differing view to the govt. And I am fed up on hearing hard luck stories from people that have had there holidays ruined.

Hope this does not get too political will accept a slapped wrist if it is.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 27 Jul 2020, 10:48

Andyp wrote:with regards to the latest quarantine from Spain advice. I guess it would have been better to wait another couple of weeks, then give a further two weeks notice just to see quite how many people would rush to get a holiday in beforehand.
So many have commended New Zealand's approach but as soon as Bojo goes even a fraction as far the poor sod is criticised
What ever the government do they aint never gonna please all the people all the time.

I aint no fan of politics if any colour or shade in fact I am extremely cynical of a system that requires the opposition to do just that oppose everything the incumbent government does and a media, radio, print and tv, that actively encourage "expert opinion" from only those that hold a differing view to the govt. And I am fed up on hearing hard luck stories from people that have had there holidays ruined.

Hope this does not get too political will accept a slapped wrist if it is.

:text-+1:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Mike G » 27 Jul 2020, 12:00

MY63 wrote:..........RogerS please be aware that just because you have had the virus does not mean you are immune from future infections......

This is the current WHO advice, and it is remarkably illogical and pessimistic. The fact is, the virus has been circulating since November/ December, so for 8 months or so in some areas, and nobody on the planet has had it twice. It is therefore logical to say that having the illness leaves you immune to getting it again for at least 6 months. GPs and hospital doctors are currently working on the assumption of 4 months minimum.

I continue to act as though I hadn't had it (by taking all the proper precautions), but don't stress about going out like some people do.

-

I too get tired of the "government can't do anything right" mentality which surrounds us these days. I've given up on Radio 4 as a result.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 27 Jul 2020, 12:51

And don't even talk to me about Jeremy Bloomin' Vine on Radio 2!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerS » 27 Jul 2020, 13:34

Mike G wrote:....
I too get tired of the "government can't do anything right" mentality which surrounds us these days. I've given up on Radio 4 as a result.

I agree with you up a point, Mike, but whether or not it's the Govt or the Civil Service ....this from the Telegraph today..it does make you wonder. That brewery doesn't look anywhere close to being found !

What tortured logic is this? The FCO is “advising against all but essential travel to mainland Spain – this does not cover the Canary Islands or the Balearic Islands because travel advice is based on the risk to the individual traveller and COVID-19 infection rates are lower there than mainland Spain.”

So that’s fine: for the likes of Mallorca and Ibiza, Tenerife and Gran Canaria, the risk is low. But hold on: “People will still need to self-isolate when returning from anywhere in Spain as well as the Canary and Balearic Islands because self-isolation arrangements are put in place on the basis of risk to the UK as a whole.”

So come on, which is it? How can it be not risky for an individual to go to the Canary Islands but risky for the UK “as a whole” for someone to come back from them?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 27 Jul 2020, 13:49

"The fact is, the virus has been circulating since November/ December, so for 8 months or so in some areas, and nobody on the planet has had it twice."

With the greatest respect Mike, "nobody on the planet has had it twice" - that we know of. The virology of this plague is in its infancy. What if second infections DO take place, but are so mild as to be unnoticed, yet the host 'sheds' virus particles? This hypothesis is, of course unproven, but until the dratted thing is more studied and researched and we know for sure, you can understand the WHO taking every precaution, as a 'wrong step' costs lives.

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby MY63 » 28 Jul 2020, 17:30

From 24th April I dont think there has been any updates since then, I have included a link to the actual artical should anyone wish to see all 21 references.

https://www.who.int/news-room/commentar ... f-covid-19

WHO continues to review the evidence on antibody responses to SARS-CoV-2 infection.2-17 Most of these studies show that people who have recovered from infection have antibodies to the virus. However, some of these people have very low levels of neutralizing antibodies in their blood,4 suggesting that cellular immunity may also be critical for recovery. As of 24 April 2020, no study has evaluated whether the presence of antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 confers immunity to subsequent infection by this virus in humans.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 28 Jul 2020, 19:20

In this vein Michael, the current enquiries re antibody ratios: IgG vs IgM, are very interesting. Particularly the longevity of the latter.

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby Rod » 31 Jul 2020, 11:41

A Spitfire is doing a fly past over hospitals tomorrow 1 August as a thank you.
15:30 Southampton
15:42 Basingstoke

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 31 Jul 2020, 11:58

Rod wrote:A Spitfire is doing a fly past over hospitals tomorrow 1 August as a thank you.
15:30 Southampton
15:42 Basingstoke

Rod

Fantastic; no alas no Salisbury :( The Spitfire is pale blue so perhaps painted as one of the high altitude photographic reconnaissance aircraft from WW2? - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 31 Jul 2020, 12:15

From what I’ve seen it’s got “Thank you NHS” on the underside of the wings.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 31 Jul 2020, 12:25

spitfire.png
(510.24 KiB)

It does.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 31 Jul 2020, 22:51

Southampton is getting 2 fly pasts but I’m trying to keep out of there
Winchester none.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 01 Aug 2020, 09:01

SW none! :(
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerS » 02 Aug 2020, 09:14

Malc2098 wrote:SW none! :(

Range might have something to do with it ;) That first leg - Duxford to Goodwood is just under 400km. Range of the Spitfire around the 600km mark...give or take.

I think the plan is to eventually cover a large part of the country.

And while on the subject of the Spitfire, two facts for the day.

Did you know that without Henry Cave-Brown-Cave and Lady Houston, the Spitfire would probably never have seen the light of day ?

Or that Mitchell while working on his first job at Supermarine, his foreman complained that the tea Mitchell had brewed for him ‘tastes like *’. For the next brew, Mitchell steeped the tea leaves in his own boiling urine. “Bloody good cup of tea, Mitchell’ was the response !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerM » 02 Aug 2020, 10:12

RogerS wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:SW none! :(

Range might have something to do with it ;) That first leg - Duxford to Goodwood is just under 400km. Range of the Spitfire around the 600km mark...give or take.

And while on the subject of the Spitfire, two facts for the day.

Did you know that without Henry Cave-Brown-Cave and Lady Houston, the Spitfire would probably never have seen the light of day ?

Or that Mitchell while working on his first job at Supermarine, his foreman complained that the tea Mitchell had brewed for him ‘tastes like *’. For the next brew, Mitchell steeped the tea leaves in his own boiling urine. “Bloody good cup of tea, Mitchell’ was the response !

Now that's just taking the p***. :lol: :eusa-doh:
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby 9fingers » 02 Aug 2020, 10:20

Taken just south of Salisbury yesterday (Pepperbox Hill)

copied from Facebook

Thank U NHS.jpg
(15.21 KiB)

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 02 Aug 2020, 13:52

RogerS wrote:

If they used a Mustang P51D with drop tanks they'd be able to do the whole country in one hit :lol: :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 02 Aug 2020, 13:54

Woodbloke wrote:
RogerS wrote:

If they used a Mustang P51D with drop tanks they'd be able to do the whole country in one hit :lol: :lol: - Rob

Traitor ! Treasonous wotsit ! :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 02 Aug 2020, 16:50

RogerS wrote:
Traitor ! Treasonous wotsit ! :lol:

:lol: :lol: Tower of London, head on a spike on London Bridge? :lol: :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 02 Aug 2020, 19:28

The Mustang was a crap machine until we tampered and improved it.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 03 Aug 2020, 06:20

Rod wrote:The Mustang was a crap machine until we tampered and improved it.

Rod

I wouldn't say 'crap' Rod; it was a good aircraft but initially had a poor, under powered engine and it was only when the RR Merlin was fitted did it achieve it's full potential. Later variants with the bubble canopy were quite superb and just as 'pretty' as the Spitfire - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby droogs » 06 Aug 2020, 12:33

and also not treasonous as it was originally designed specifically for the RAF to bolster Fighter Command during the BoB. Hence the 102 pencil to flying prototype build speed
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat