It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:29

router cutters

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

router cutters

Postby Phil Pascoe » 06 May 2021, 17:27

I've just seen this elsewhere and bought a set, as has my neighbour -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392072864895 ... Sw2gxYwYin

less than £24 a set with the code (expires tomorrow). Cheaper than getting a few sharpened - mine are a little past their best, they're nearly thirty years old.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Re: router cutters

Postby Woodbloke » 06 May 2021, 19:33

IMO, buying a set of router cutters is a false economy, even though these are as cheap as chips. If I were to buy a set like that, I'd probably end up using only a couple and the rest would take up space in my router storage rack; but that is a good deal on fleabay - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 06 May 2021, 19:43

That's the thing, isn't it? Even if a few remain unused for the price it doesn't matter.

Most of mine are Wealden, but I can't fault the Trends sets - I have the 1/4" set as well.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Postby AJB Temple » 06 May 2021, 21:21

It's a good deal. Very cheap.

They are the DIY range and the narrow cut ones are junk (I have this set - it was a gift) but some are very useful for occasional jobs.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 06 May 2021, 21:25

Mine are thirty years old - it'll be interesting to see any difference.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Postby Phil Pascoe » 06 May 2021, 21:42

Out of stock now, anyway.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Postby sunnybob » 07 May 2021, 05:41

Trend quality seems to have slipped.
I had one break a couple of weeks ago when it really shouldnt, and have seen other peoples complaints as well.

I bought a trend router February 2020. a set came with the router. I've only used 2, one that broke and a round over bit that leaves a line because its wider than the bearing. The other 6 are still waiting.
I need to investigate wealdon.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 07 May 2021, 10:24

The point with Trend is you get what you pay for. These sets are fine for the typical DIY user, but they are the lowest grade bits. In the sets they are only a couple of pounds per bit, so expectations should match that. I think it dilutes their brand personally.

The next one up from Trend is the trade range, painted green. These are a different price point and much better quality.

Then they have their industrial range, generally solid carbide, with a mid grey finish. These are excellent, comparable with Wealden, but of course they are expensive.

Trend try to cater for all market segments I suppose.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 07 May 2021, 10:30

sunnybob wrote:Trend quality seems to have slipped.
... a round over bit that leaves a line because its wider than the bearing.

because it's not a rounding over bit, it's an ovolo.
A wider bearing is usually available to make it a rounding over cutter.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Postby NickM » 07 May 2021, 10:56

AJB Temple wrote:The point with Trend is you get what you pay for. These sets are fine for the typical DIY user, but they are the lowest grade bits. In the sets they are only a couple of pounds per bit, so expectations should match that. I think it dilutes their brand personally.

The next one up from Trend is the trade range, painted green. These are a different price point and much better quality.

Then they have their industrial range, generally solid carbide, with a mid grey finish. These are excellent, comparable with Wealden, but of course they are expensive.

Trend try to cater for all market segments I suppose.

Agreed. I've got a similar cheap Trend set (I think mine has more bits). I think it was a good buy because the bits are absolutely fine for occasional use, and it's allowed me to work out which ones I use a lot and I can replace those with better quality as and when they wear out/break.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 07 May 2021, 11:02

Phil Pascoe wrote:
sunnybob wrote:Trend quality seems to have slipped.
... a round over bit that leaves a line because its wider than the bearing.

because it's not a rounding over bit, it's an ovolo.
A wider bearing is usually available to make it a rounding over cutter.

The one I have doesnt leave enough of a line to be deliberate, It just needs sanding back afterwards. If the bit is raised enough, then there is a deliberate and useable line

I have found an on-island stockist of DIMAR router bits. I have a couple, they appear to be quite good and reasonably priced.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 07 May 2021, 11:04

That is poor.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Return to Machines & Power Toolery