It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:28

Shelf

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Shelf

Postby Chris152 » 06 May 2021, 17:11

_MG_0259.jpg
(91.95 KiB)

Apple, beech, apple, spalted beech, beech, birch.
I'm enjoying this shape for the moment :-)
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Re: Shelf

Postby Dr.Al » 06 May 2021, 17:28

Chris152 wrote:
_MG_0259.jpg

Apple, beech, apple, spalted beech, beech, birch.
I'm enjoying this shape for the moment :-)

Lovely
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby Malc2098 » 06 May 2021, 17:40

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Chris152 » 07 May 2021, 07:13

Thanks chaps.
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Postby NickM » 07 May 2021, 07:51

“Collection of stunning wooden bowls” would be a better title than “shelf” I think!
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 07 May 2021, 08:02

NickM wrote:“Collection of stunning wooden bowls” would be a better title than “shelf” I think!

Indeed.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby novocaine » 07 May 2021, 08:07

NickM wrote:“Collection of stunning wooden bowls” would be a better title than “shelf” I think!

oh goodness, there are bowls on it, I was only interested in the shelf. I love a bit of nice flat ply. :D
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby sunnybob » 07 May 2021, 08:24

I was waiting for the other half of the picture to appear. they are so flat across I thought the pic had been sliced. :o 8-)
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Chris152 » 08 May 2021, 07:03

Thanks, Nick and Andy. It's a really simple bowl shape, quite minimal and common, but that means you focus more clearly on the wood itself, especially as the curve is constantly changing direction exposing the patterns in the wood. I think it's something woodturning has over most furniture etc.

Novocaine - yes, nice bit of ply but I'm now thinking to repurpose it for a new project I stumbled on recently. :-)

And you're right, SB - you can see the pic as a slice through the bowls, in fact I can't stop seeing it that way now! :eusa-think:
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 08 May 2021, 08:36

Its your own fault for being enigmatic with the title. :eusa-naughty:
I was so busy looking for the catch that I couldnt see the wood for the trees :lol:
Nice trees by the way. 8-)
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Chris152 » 08 May 2021, 09:04

Just for you, Sunnybob! You may note an addition...
_MG_0274.jpg
(64.26 KiB)
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 08 May 2021, 09:25

Now youre just showing your OCD tendencies. :lol:
My mrs arranges her garden that way. 8-)
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Chris101 » 08 May 2021, 09:50

Lovely Chris.
You should get that printed as a full size canvas. Then hang it above the actual shelf. ;)
Chris101
Sapling

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 08 May 2021, 14:30

This is very nice work.

What puzzles me about turning (I do have a lathe) is unless you are making bowls etc to sell, don't you just run out of things to do with them? I bought a lathe, then tools, then went on a short turning course at Axminster (which made me realise I should have bought a different lathe), turned some bowls and they became presents for family, and....then what. My wife made it clear that she had enough bowls, egg cups, candle stick holders etc and this took about 3 weeks.

It was last used at Christmas to make a few components for a chair. Perhaps I need inspiration (and a shorter to do list).
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 08 May 2021, 14:42

:text-+1:

A good friend showed me how to turn a pen when I first mentioned I wanted to get involved with wood.
I did it, but just did not push any buttons for me, wheras a bandsaw box appealed to my customising side.
My friend does make a lot of stuff though, and goes to shows and fairs in England, and makes a small profit on the hobby. :eusa-clap:
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 08 May 2021, 15:35

Lovely stuff Chris, that big bowl made from very spalted Beech must've been a nightmare to turn!

AJB Temple wrote:What puzzles me about turning (I do have a lathe) is unless you are making bowls etc to sell, don't you just run out of things to do with them?

I used to turn a lot but largely fell out of love with it for pretty much that reason, no real need to do anything more than I had already done in the past, I used to enjoy it and it was therapeutic to a degree and I used to enter local shows (easy to win too, being the only participant!), but I've got countless bowls, goblets, pots, and random trinkets and I don't really see any reason to make any more :lol:

These two were the last bits of "artistic" turning I did, well over a couple of years ago now:

I haven't picked up a turning tool in a long time, and I think the last time I did was to just make a small plug for something really mundane, also a broken chair spindle replacement and the very occasional piece for a staircase in the last couple of years but that's about it. The last couple of times I did anything on the lathe that wasn't a part of something else (IE, just a standalone bowl) I had this constant nagging in my head saying "You should really be doing something else with your time".
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Chris152 » 08 May 2021, 15:43

Excellent idea Chris - in fact, I could simply replace the shelf with a pic of the shelf and use the plywood for the surfboard!

Adrian - I think it's a really good question for woodturners. One answer is they're easier to stack and store than the coffee tables I was trying to make when I started working with wood a few years ago - I still have five cluttering a spare room upstairs, one day I guess they'll become firewood.
Another option is to sell, which I did some of but it gets boring I find if you (as I was) keep doing the same things, plain wood, over and over. Like Sunnybob's friend, I did well enough at craft fairs and on-line, but I now have the lathe at home which means I can't operate as any kind of business without potentially affecting insurance, and anyway my attitude's changed and I'm trying to focus much more on process than outcomes.
Another seems to be developing skills to produce more and more challenging pieces, things way above my skills level and that thankfully don't really interest me. ('Thankfully' in the sense I don't think I'd be up to it.)
So, for me now, it's about getting back into turning after a year off, focus on the process of producing simple forms hopefully from nice wood, and I'm wanting to explore how the forms distort, split etc if they dry too quickly after green turning. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it interests me.
Sorry that went on a bit.
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Postby Chris152 » 08 May 2021, 15:46

Love that goblet, Trevanion!
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 08 May 2021, 16:13

AJB Temple wrote:.....What puzzles me about turning (I do have a lathe) is unless you are making bowls etc to sell, don't you just run out of things to do with them?......

One of the reasons I've never had a lathe.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 08 May 2021, 17:04

Mike G wrote:
AJB Temple wrote:.....What puzzles me about turning (I do have a lathe) is unless you are making bowls etc to sell, don't you just run out of things to do with them?......

One of the reasons I've never had a lathe.

Chair legs, Table legs, Stair spindles, tool handles, Pens, garden dibbers ;)

What you can do with it is surely only limited by one’s imagination.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 08 May 2021, 17:40

AJB Temple wrote:This is very nice work.

What puzzles me about turning (I do have a lathe) is unless you are making bowls etc to sell, don't you just run out of things to do with them? I bought a lathe, then tools, then went on a short turning course at Axminster (which made me realise I should have bought a different lathe), turned some bowls and they became presents for family, and....then what. My wife made it clear that she had enough bowls, egg cups, candle stick holders etc and this took about 3 weeks.

It was last used at Christmas to make a few components for a chair. Perhaps I need inspiration (and a shorter to do list).

Agreed. How many bowels and stuff do you/I actually need? Once I've made a few decent enough bowls for the house, there really isn't much point in the lathe. I have a around twenty or so blanks of various sorts awaiting final turning, but what do I do with them then?
I tend to keep all the odd's n'ends of off cuts which are too good to throw away and make small stuff (bowls, platters, light pulls, goblets, mushrooms etc) which I've then tried to sell at a Boot Fair in town with very limited success (although a pitch costs me the princely sum of £2)
As SWIMBO is now working full time at our local hospital, I'll probably end up giving the whole lot to their charity shop so at least I know whatever they sell them for will be going to a good cause.

However, that said, I wouldn't get rid of the lathe. When I have a 'turning day' I find it therapeutic and relaxing; the time seems to go past at warp speed! It's also very useful for the odds n'sods of stuff that I need for various projects, mostly tiny turned drawer or door pulls but there's other things that need to be turned as well, such as a small screwdriver for No.1 son to enable him to service his Gaggia coffee machine.

The next task on the lathe 'tuit' list is to master screw cutting which is a lot harder than it looks - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 08 May 2021, 17:48

Woodbloke wrote:
Agreed. How many bowels and stuff do you/I actually need?

Ooh Rob, never seen one of those turned on the lathe. :)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 08 May 2021, 21:37

Andyp wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:
Agreed. How many bowels and stuff do you/I actually need?

Ooh Rob, never seen one of those turned on the lathe. :)

You know me Andy, deliberate mis-spelling. Nice to see somebody's up to speed :lol: :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)