It is currently 16 Dec 2019, 11:30

Small workshop

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Small workshop

Postby Mike G » 12 Sep 2019, 07:22

I've only just looked at this for the first time in weeks (sorry!!).

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but any decking above 300mm (a foot) high requires planning permission. Whether you go down that route is going to boil down to a judgement on your behalf as to whether or not any of your neighbours are likely to complain.
Mike G
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MY63 » 12 Sep 2019, 07:44

Mike G wrote:I've only just looked at this for the first time in weeks (sorry!!).

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but any decking above 300mm (a foot) high requires planning permission. Whether you go down that route is going to boil down to a judgement on your behalf as to whether or not any of your neighbours are likely to complain.

Thanks Mike I appreciate your input,
I have spoken to the local planning department who have told me that as with the workshop I am entitled to measure from the highest point. I had to use the 45 x 97 mm as joists as the 147 mm joists would not fit without digging down.
The back corner on the fence line is the highest point and the inner corner is one of the lowest points.

I would like to say thank you to yourself and everyone else here for the support throughout this project I can honestly say it would not have happened without it.
MY63
Nordic Pine

Name: Michael

Re: Small workshop Decking Jigsaw

Postby MY63 » 03 Oct 2019, 21:10

The great decking jigsaw begins
My son and I have cleaned the older deck (just over 1 year old) The edges have been trimmed back where the new joist has been added. I have spent the last couple of days moving boards around trying to find the best place for the joints.

Image2019-10-03_08-51-27 by my0771, on Flickr

I need to have joints along the length of the deck and am unsure of the expansion gap required the boards have a 5 mm gap between them any advice would be appreciated.
MY63
Nordic Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Oct 2019, 23:12

That'll be nice with some chairs, a table and some filled glasses to sit out with of an evening!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Old Oak

Name: Malcolm

Postby MY63 » 19 Oct 2019, 13:38

All was going well until I decided I wanted to use a mitre joint across the big joint.
I know everyone said not to do it and it is difficult I did try the overlapping joint but I did not like it.
I selected a start point and marked 45 degrees and an end point and marked 45 degrees there, then took a chalk line between the two points and struck a line which I then cut with the track saw.
For some reason I did not bother to check it was 45 degrees until after I had made the cut so it turns out it was 44 degrees not bad for guess work but no good to go around a 90 degree corner.
My solution was to take everything up re cut the mitres individually and lay each pair at the same time.
I wish I had done this from the start but there you go I have learnt something and and managed to keep my waste to a minimum.

Image2019-10-19_01-17-45 by my0771, on Flickr

Image2019-10-19_01-18-16 by my0771, on Flickr

I still have some issues with hands and now shoulder so I find it difficult to bear weight on my hands. When I was struggling to move my son suggested I needed a hover board. This started me thinking and I came up with this using Aldi's finest castors and some scraps of MDF donated by my neighbour. It is fantastic I can roll up and down the deck putting screws in or taking them out after making a mistake

Image2019-10-19_01-17-29 by my0771, on Flickr

I may well run the track saw up the sides of the cut as one or two do not line up as nicely as I would like but it is just a deck.
MY63
Nordic Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 19 Oct 2019, 16:57

Unless you’re ocd, Michael, you won’t notice them with a glass in your hand!

Looking good.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Old Oak

Name: Malcolm

Previous

Return to Workshop Builds