• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Recent content by Eric the Viking

  1. E

    From across the pond Florida USA

    Welcome Joe! Around 1987, my wife and I were invited to a friend's brother and family in Ocala for Sunday lunch. We drove up from Orlando, but were extremely late for the church service where we were to meet, because of an apparently-endless freight train, triple-headed, if I remember, that...
  2. E

    Any Monty Python aficionados?

    Ni ! I was wobbling down a Bristol hospital corridor last week, under the close instruction of my neuro-physiotherapist, feeling rather silly doing what he'd asked me to (he was watching closely). Since I was basically doing The Walk anyway, I said, "John Cleese was brought up in...
  3. E

    Does brass "work harden"?

    ^^^ Wot 'ee said. To be honest, your symptoms don't sound like work hardening - that usually relates to brass becoming brittle rather than malleable and shouldn't affect filing or sawing. It's much more likely to be blunt tools (I speak from experience on that bit!). It's pretty easy to anneal...
  4. E

    Never Have Work Done when you are Not Home

    My sister was one such, in a rural setting. On one occasion, in the days before mobile 'phones and when she was still in uniform, she was the first to attend a 'domestic' incident involving a firearm. The police were only informed about the latter after she had entered the farmhouse on her...
  5. E

    Dare I - after last time: Parkside at Lidl

    And a shout-out goes to all you Canuks out there: I'm right there with you: forget Mr. Phillips and even Mr. Torx(??!): Mr. Robertson is the true King of Fastenings.
  6. E

    Corner or Angle brace.

    I've always known them as "Joist Braces", to let you bore holes through floor joists (presumably for lead piping back then). I have one somewhere, but it was a NOS purchase in the 1970s, and is more like an ordinary ratchet brace. It has a longer handle than that one. If I can find it I'll...
  7. E

    I Do Like Facebook Marketplace

    Hmmm. I thought I had several books on the Shakers and actual Shaker furniture, but the library is in a bit of a mess at the moment. I've found four that have Shaker-influenced or copied designs, but you really want history and examples. Also somewhere I have information about those cups used on...
  8. E

    I Do Like Facebook Marketplace

    Duke, your issue with the height might be telling: The chair looks Shaker in style. They didn't all have the tilting cups on the back legs, however if that one did, and the cups failed, the owner might simply have cut all four legs off level, and put up with the reduced height, or used blocks...
  9. E

    Clamps

    Rafezetter of this parish (occasionally) dropped in yesterday, with a present for me: a pair of Parkside clamps (Lidl). Apparently they're back in stock roun 'yer. Two sorts to choose from - one-handed, and screw clamps (i.e. the short 'sash clamp' style, well smaller but YSWIM), very similar...
  10. E

    Slightly off topic - Abrafiles

    They're circular cross-section, usually about 1/16" diameter with little bumps on each end, and fit into a hacksaw frame with adapters. They have teeth similar to a file, and come (came) in varing degrees of coarseness. The idea is you feed one end through a small starter hole, and they will...
  11. E

    Slightly off topic - Abrafiles

    Andy's thread on the Shetack saw reminded me: i was going through my late father's stuff last week and came across a bundle of Abrafiles. Whoopee!!! They are staggeringly useful if you want to cut complex shapes in all manner of sheet metal. They also are superb for doing diecast metal boxes...
  12. E

    The Shetack Saw

    I have a Shetack basin (i.e. for the taps) wrench somewhere. I don't think I've used it since the late 1970s, when I was a teenager, as modern 'monobloc' taps and modern, adjustable tools have rendered it pretty useless. And it's too lumpy to fit neatly into a toolbox. But Googling, I see...
  13. E

    OOPs and some.

    Our Avensis is sixteen this year, but it has a 6-speed manual box with both cruise and a speed limiter, latter of which I treasure. The DC won't use it and has points...
  14. E

    OOPs and some.

    OOh! I'd want to see any logs the car's computer generates. Casting no aspersions on Mercedes, it was probably human error, but not necessarily. There is a lot of sloppy firmware out there, and I'd want to know if it recorded a sudden change in the throttle position, or not. Long ago I stopped...
Back
Top