• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Recent content by Woodbloke

  1. Woodbloke

    Small cyclone system...WIP

    After tea, I lashed the hoses in place with a few strips of tape and gave it a trial run. The PRV worked well, but the choice of spring is critical; I needed to install a slightly stronger one to get it to work correctly: After a swift pass around the 'shop and bench, the proof of the...
  2. Woodbloke

    Knife handle help

    Most if not all Japanese chef's knives use a ferrule of some sort (usually horn) with a wooden handle then tapped onto the tang. Many use Magnolia but it really depends on which firm or artisan made them; I have a small veggie knife with a Walnut handle. The rivet thing is used on Western...
  3. Woodbloke

    Small cyclone system...WIP

    Having ordered the 60 litre barrel yesterday from the Bay of Fleas, DPD delivered it this morning which I thought wasn't at all shabby! Pretty impressed actually by the quality of these barrels as it's the first time I've seen one in the flesh: The cyclone and PRV were fitted to the top...
  4. Woodbloke

    Knife handle help

    Agreed Pete, proper 'old skool', slow setting epoxy is just about impregnable and once it's been correctly mixed, applied and cured nothing's going to shift it - Rob
  5. Woodbloke

    Passport at the ready - UPDATED

    About par once you get south of the Lakes. I used to drive up n'down the M5/6 to Carlisle to see No.1 daughter but I won't do it anymore so we prefer to let the 'train take the strain'. Twenty odd years ago No.1 son was at Edinburgh University, so the drive was then done in the Defender fairly...
  6. Woodbloke

    Small cyclone system...WIP

    That looks like a posh shop bought version; dead easy to make for nowt from gash bits lying around the 'shop. Bear also in mind that the Numatic has a 2,400W motor (nearly 3hp) and will suck out your Wisdom teeth if you get the nozzle too close to your face, so the PRV needs to act instantly if...
  7. Woodbloke

    Interesting plane

    How does it go?....you wait hours n' bloody hours for a bus and then two come along at once:ROFLMAO: - Rob
  8. Woodbloke

    Knife handle help

    I totally agree with wot @AndyT mentioned above; rip off the now ghastly original scales (correct term??) and replace with something a bit posher. Araldite (proper 'old skool' stuff) them in place and clean up. I've got plenty of Bubinga etc offcuts and you're welcome to a bit, but I don't...
  9. Woodbloke

    Small cyclone system...WIP

    Agreed Steve they do...but they don't if you fit a Pressure Relief Valve as @Andy P mentioned above. The big drum in the second pic is a water butt with a fairly thin side, but with the PRV fitted it's never imploded The big drum uses a 6mm rare earth magnet but wot I concocted for this build...
  10. Woodbloke

    Small cyclone system...WIP

    Whilst furkerling around at the back of the garden tool shed the other day I came across a 'Dust Commander' cyclone which I 'acquired' when I worked for Ax a few years ago. At the time I rigged up a decent system that worked well, but the collection drum was never satisfactory and it was far...
  11. Woodbloke

    Staining English Walnut?

    I keep the curtains drawn with any room that's got walnut furniture in it; that sunlight is nasty stuff and I could do with a lot less of it! There's a very, very pleasant Grade 1 house near Salisbury; tours can be booked through the National Gallery and it's stuffed full of beautiful stuff, inc...
  12. Woodbloke

    Staining English Walnut?

    Great minds think etc etc....:ROFLMAO: Custard's stuff sounds like it's also Vandyke crystals or maybe something different?... can't seem to find a reference to it online which is odd - Rob Edit - just saw your note to the effect that stains in powder form aren't on the Milan's website
  13. Woodbloke

    Staining English Walnut?

    That's great, I'd love to try it out...remember you have a wee envelope in the post; would it be possible to enclose the dye in the return package? I'd need enough dye for two of those light boards shown in the pic above and instructions for mixing/use if possible please - Rob
  14. Woodbloke

    Staining English Walnut?

    Thanks for that. The finishes above are water based, which seems preferable over spirit. I was thinking of this Liberon product from Axminster and assume that further applied coats will deepen the colour? I have several off cuts from the board to play around with and have plenty of time as...
  15. Woodbloke

    Staining English Walnut?

    I'm under way with another major project in the 'shop but realised I needed to cut a new top and bottom: As you can see, there's a distinct colour mis-match between the two boards and I eventually need to make the lighter one the same (or as near as damn it) colour as the other one. My...
Back
Top