AJB Temple":39j27bjf said:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-Amtech-Grass-Trimmers-Transparent/dp/B0065I0ZAG/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2LWR3XNEEK6RU&keywords=garden%2Bshears%2Bfor%2Bhedges&qid=1692195035&sprefix=Garden%2Bshears%2Caps%2C139&sr=8-6&th=1
£8.99 and in stock for delivery tomorrow.
AJB Temple":2zo9kojl said:I don't know. I use Japanese shears personally for topiary, or electric hedge trimmers or petrol when getting serious. Shears are pretty basic things so not sure how bad they can be.
AndyT":1923lieg said:... But being lighter will help it have a bit of a gentle curve, like scissors, so that the cutting point runs back along the blades in use. ....
RogerS":2hcln1ur said:Thanks, Andy. Can you expand a bit on this, please ?
AndyT":2hcln1ur said:... But being lighter will help it have a bit of a gentle curve, like scissors, so that the cutting point runs back along the blades in use. ....
RogerS":1p5lkrct said:...and I bought a pair of 'Adrians'
They look out of balance but in the hand, I have to admit not bad. And they cut.
AJB Temple":ackhy9ox said:I don't know. I use Japanese shears personally for topiary, or electric hedge trimmers or petrol when getting serious. Shears are pretty basic things so not sure how bad they can be.
Woodster":3tyg82fr said:If you compare a branch or stem cut with shears with another shattered or torn by a trimmer I suspect Monty’s comment is possibly correct about infections?
RogerS":o8kx4gvw said:If that was true then we'd not have any hedgerows left in the country. Have you never seen the butchery carried out on the leaves and woody parts after the flail has been along ?
Trevanion":1amwxbly said:RogerS":1amwxbly said:If that was true then we'd not have any hedgerows left in the country. Have you never seen the butchery carried out on the leaves and woody parts after the flail has been along ?
There's a farmer locally who is well over eighty years of age who still uses an ancient finger bar trimmer (like a handheld hedge cutter on steroids) off the back of his equally ancient tractor, his hedges are immaculate and much fuller than ones that have been thrashed with a rotary. The nice thing with the finger bar is that you don't need a cage on the tractor to prevent being pummeled by bits of hedge travelling at 100mph.
The world got too big too fast, compared to 1945 we've lost over 50% of our hedgerows with a 70% reduction in the number of farms and 80% fewer jobs in the farming industry, but 400% more yield. Now every farm needs to maintain a massive area (A small farm is considered 400 acres now) so everyone looks for the fastest way possible or reduce the amount of hedges and create mega-fields.