It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:40

Thank you for having me....

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Thank you for having me....

Postby Beanwood » 15 Sep 2021, 22:37

Hello to you all.

I can't help it, but I feel like an interloper. You all seem so knowledgable, I can hardly believe you let me join up.

I learned a lot from 'The other place', and when it took a bit of a dip, took quite some time to work out where the experienced members had gone. I rarely post there (As here I'm sure), as my woodworking is less frequent than I'd like, with SWMBO, working full time, bees and a number of Labs and chickens all demanding my attention. It's also fairly hopeless compared to even the worst examples I've seen. For those reasons, I spend most of my time reading, and only offering up advice on the very few occasions I can, having learnt through my own experience.
So - I am here. I am reading, but my post count will remain low, as I will only contribute when I have something sensible to say.

Thank you for your knowledge, and your gift of sharing it. :eusa-clap:

Marcus.
Beanwood
Seedling

Name: Marcus

Re: Thank you for having me....

Postby Trevanion » 16 Sep 2021, 00:05

Welcome, Marcus!

There's absolutely no obligation to post anything, there are plenty of other people here that only post once or twice in a blue moon but read quite a bit, so don't feel like an odd one out, everyone's welcome regardless!
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 16 Sep 2021, 05:23

Dont forget that you only see the best work posted, my firewood bin gets filled up lots faster than my photo album :lol: :lol:
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 16 Sep 2021, 05:32

Welcome Marcus. Good to have you here.

We're not just woodwork, you know. Our "pub" conversations are much more pleasant than those at UKW, and are quite wide-ranging. Personally, I'd be more than interested in conversations about bees and chickens, for instance. We're getting chickens next spring, and we've talked about keeping bees for a while now.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 16 Sep 2021, 06:15

Don’t be shy Marcus, plenty of folks on here will help improve whatever skills you have.
You are also not the only one with a low output rate in the projects front. I have turned half a bowl in 6 months.
I also keep chickens who produce low cholesterol eggs ;)

Oops, forgot to say, Welcome.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby novocaine » 16 Sep 2021, 07:00

Hi Marcus.
Im a firm believer in quantity over quality when it comes to wood work, so i wouldnt worry about it, i rarley post anything of what i do, simply because most of it is so boring as to be of no merit but also because its normally pretty rubbish. Welcome to the club.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby johnward » 16 Sep 2021, 08:34

Welcome Marcos. This is an extremely friendly forum with knowledge and advise given willingly by the experienced members. Don't be nervous about posting any problems you have - they will be sympathetically answered.
John
johnward
Sapling

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 16 Sep 2021, 10:12

Welcome. We keep bees too (much more tricky than we thought) and have chickens under consideration. This is a friendly place, no one falls out, and there are lot of clued up people in various areas. I used to post elsewhere too, but rarely bother to visit anywhere else now.

We may need a chickens, bees and gardening sub forum. 8-) Oh - several of us are also amateur bakers too.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 17 Sep 2021, 13:42

Welcome Marcus, it’s the depth of knowledge here that always astounds me. And much nicer here too. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Beanwood » 17 Sep 2021, 14:19

Thanks for the welcome. Several of you have been kind enough to give me advice on the other forum (I now own a set of 'Joinery and Carpentry' as a result)
Beekeeping - well there's something I know quite a bit about - but the bees will always know more!!
Chickens were my wife's passion for a number of years - we've won awards at the National Poultry Federation with our French Faverolles - which was a bit of a big deal at the time - but now keep them for eggs.
Beanwood
Seedling

Name: Marcus

Postby Bojam » 30 Sep 2021, 13:32

Welcome Marcus! I'm also a new member, long-time lurker. Good to be onboard. Very friendly and hugely knowledgeable community. Do you have a rural smallholding? Or do you keep the chickens and bees in an urban garden? We've considered having chickens here but the garden isn't huge and I planted as many fruit trees as I could fit when we moved in, so space is really at a premium now. Still, we get a regular crop of bananas and plantains, mangoes, citrus, custard apples, papayas, pineapples from time to time... It's amazing how fast fruit trees grow and become productive in the tropics.
All the best!
Bojam
Seedling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 30 Sep 2021, 13:40

Bojam wrote:Welcome Marcus! I'm also a new member, long-time lurker. Good to be onboard. Very friendly and hugely knowledgeable community. Do you have a rural smallholding? Or do you keep the chickens and bees in an urban garden? We've considered having chickens here but the garden isn't huge and I planted as many fruit trees as I could fit when we moved in, so space is really at a premium now. Still, we get a regular crop of bananas and plantains, mangoes, citrus, custard apples, papayas, pineapples from time to time... It's amazing how fast fruit trees grow and become productive in the tropics.
All the best!

Oh please mangoes in the garden. That is nearly as bad as the images of bacon sarnies that occasionally get posted on here. Don't suppose you would like to swap for conference pears and bramley apples.
I wanna live somewhere else :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Return to Welcome (Introductions)