It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:39

Accident prone Adrian strikes again :-)

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Re: Accident prone Adrian strikes again :-)

Postby AJB Temple » 19 Oct 2021, 12:44

Thanks guys.

The reason why I use self cutting screws and timber fix bolts is so I don't have to drill a pilot hole 8-)

In any case, for the last incident I couldn't have got the drill in the space. I freely acknowledge that part of the issue is that the wood is pretty hard. Most of it was cut after the big storm in the 80s and has been in our barn since then gradually maturing, like me.

Oddly enough, I have very little problem with Pozi screw heads. I find that with good quality bits in the driver they don't cam out and can be driven in and out a few times as needed. I do buy proper impact bits.

Most of the screwing (so to speak) I have been doing lately has been fixing oak battens all around the inside edges of oak timber framing, to secure insulation in place, and provide a backing for cement board prior to it being rendered. I must have driven in 300 or 400 pozi screws and that is why I use self cutters. These battens will never be seen again.

For this building I bought a job lot of Reisser screws quite cheaply and find these drive in and out pretty well. 95% of the time the screw is driven in by the impact gun and will never be touched again.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Accident prone Vann strikes again :-)

Postby Vann » 03 Nov 2021, 09:02

I had my first kickback with my big PK dimension saw two days ago.

I was ripping a short piece (~400mm long). The blade on a PK is 18" (450mm) dia. I am aware that ripping short pieces can be tricky, so carefully cut the piece with pushsticks, and pushed it clear. I then used a pushstick to flick the offcut clear. As the near end of the offcut pivoted away from the blade, the back end pivoted into the rear of the blade and.. Bang.. shot it 3 car lengths into a brick wall, catching my knuckles on the way past.

The damage: two grazed knuckles (one bleeding) and a bruise.

You don't have a monopoly on doing dumb things Adrian.

Cheers, Vann.

ps. I prefer Robertson (square) drive screws.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 03 Nov 2021, 09:33

Ooh, Sounds like a lucky escape. Hope you are OK.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby PAC1 » 03 Nov 2021, 13:54

Vann, that sounds like a lucky escape. Have a look for a Fritz and Franz Jig. It is to hold short bits of wood on large sliding tables fro ripping and crosscutting. They are easy to make and work well. Alternatively I made a jig that fixes to the slider and I clamp short pieces into it and then can rip them as needed without the risk of them taking flight. I would post a photo but I am 2000 miles from my workshop.
PAC1
Sapling

Name: Peter

Previous

Return to General Woodworking