It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:22

Slow woodworking

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Slow woodworking

Postby Steve Maskery » 27 May 2022, 23:45

I'm really beginning to appreciate the advantages of slow woodworking.
These days, I can wear my contact lenses, and therefore Do Stuff for just a few hours a day, 3 or 4 --- 6 hours is a long day, and I pay for that the following day.
But there are advantages. I have time to THINK.

I'm making a set of dining chairs. They were supposed to be finished by last C********, but I'm beginning to wonder if they will be finished by this next one...

But I've had two Good Ideas during the project, that I would not have had if I had simply gone ahead and made them as I envisaged at the start.

Being a slowcoach has its benefits!
S
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Slow woodworking

Postby Mike G » 28 May 2022, 15:35

I'm with you there, Steve. I've removed much of the electric tool operations from my woodworking over the last few years, and this has greatly increased my enjoyment of the hobby. I don't work particularly fast, but I work pretty efficiently, and put the hours in when necessary: slow woodworking, but still getting some timely results.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 28 May 2022, 16:38

Great, if not essential for a hobbyist as it really does give you time to think your way through a project, 'specially if there are bits of it that are unfamiliar. Try the same trick in a professional 'shop however and you'll be shown the door fairly smartly; you need to be able to do top quality work in the shortest time possible which means that there a shortcuts that a pro' will know about enabling the minutes to be shaved off the time allownance - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Raymedullary » 28 May 2022, 18:37

Yes SIR!!!!!!
Raymedullary
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 28 May 2022, 21:26

"Zen and the Art of Woodworking" by Steve Maskery. I'd buy a copy :)
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 28 May 2022, 21:33

RogerS wrote:"Zen and the Art of Woodworking" by Steve Maskery. I'd buy a copy :)

Excellent! I'll work on it!
:)

S
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 29 May 2022, 07:45

Yay, Steve’s buying a motorbike!
;)

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AndyT » 29 May 2022, 08:03

I share your thinking Steve.
For me, there have been two distinct stages in my woodworking.

At first, with limited funds, I needed to make the things I needed and the quicker I made them the sooner I and my family could use them. That's when I added to my power tools.

But now, at a similar age to you, I have less urgent need of new furniture. However, I do really enjoy having a project on the go for the days when it's what I most want to do. Hand tools come to the fore. Finishing is always a bit of a disappointment as it means I can't have the same sort of pleasurable workshop time until I think of something else!
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Andyp » 29 May 2022, 08:07

I’d love to get 3 hours a week in the workshop never mind 3 hours a day.

The journey is always as important, if not more so, than the destination.

Glad I dont do woodwork for a living though.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 29 May 2022, 08:20

RogerS wrote:"Zen and the Art of Woodworking" by Steve Maskery. I'd buy a copy :)

Quality............a philosophical analysis of what quality means in woodworking. It really could be a book, but only if Bob Persig writes it, I'm afraid. And I think he's dead.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 29 May 2022, 15:09

Mike G wrote: I don't work particularly fast.

This is what is known in the trade a Bo Locks. I have witnessed this bloke working, and slow it is not. :lol:
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 29 May 2022, 22:26

Sounds like a runaway best seller to me!
Now that I have definitely retired I am deliberately doing things the slow old fashioned way, it’s very liberating and the sense of satisfaction is huge, but it’s terrible to realise how my hand skills have atrophied away over the years of having to use equipment to pay the bills. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Peri » 29 May 2022, 22:53

What made the biggest difference to my work and made me slow down? Joining the forums.

At one time I'd just think 'That'll do'.

Now I think 'I might want to post up a picture of this - I can't leaving it looking like that. all those old boys on the forum will think I'm a spherical drawer-pull' !

My standards have improved drastically :D
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Name: Steve

Return to General Woodworking