It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:53

Woodworm damage repair

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Woodworm damage repair

Postby rxh » 29 May 2022, 16:45

I have been given an old oak chest with some localised woodworm damage. I have injected treatment liquid into the holes but the edge has crumbled in the area shown in the photo. I intend to fill the holes with coloured wax but I would be grateful for any suggestions for making an inconspicuous repair to the crumbled area.
Attachments
IMG_7767.JPG
(272 KiB)
rxh
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Woodworm damage repair

Postby AJB Temple » 29 May 2022, 17:47

I think from personal experience that the only real course of action is to pare it away and let a new piece in. Old hardwood furniture often has small repairs and if done well, adds to the character.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 29 May 2022, 22:10

AJB Temple wrote:I think from personal experience that the only real course of action is to pare it away and let a new piece in. Old hardwood furniture often has small repairs and if done well, adds to the character.

I agree, it’s the accumulated grunge in the edges and hollows that is the difficult bit to replicate. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Trevanion » 29 May 2022, 22:23

I would poke it with something sharp and thin first, like a scalpel or a stanley knife blade to see if it's really spongy in that area, if it is it may need further stabilising before you do anything rash to it as if you start cutting into it you may open a can of (wood) worms that will be more difficult to repair.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby rxh » 30 May 2022, 18:16

Thanks for your replies. After probing, I decided to let in a piece of wood, slightly dovetailing the ends. I'll pare it down to size when the glue has set.
Attachments
IMG_7770.JPG
(245.93 KiB)
rxh
New Shoots

Name:

Return to General Woodworking