It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:00

Chisel Bevel Angles

The place to talk about tools 'without tails', so come here with all your plane and chisel, burnisher and bradawl chatter.

Chisel Bevel Angles

Postby Andy Kev. » 25 May 2022, 19:53

Can anybody explain why the angles on some of these chisels is so steep?

https://www.jimbodetools.com/collection ... els-102306

Given that they're obviously old kit, I assume that the previous user had a good reason for those angles on the wider chisels. Can't think what it was though. (I'm assuming that there's no serious distortions due to the angle at which the pictures were taken.)
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Chisel Bevel Angles

Postby Cabinetman » 25 May 2022, 20:18

Possibly being used for heavy morticing, and previous owner thought it would protect the top of the chisel when levering ?
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Trevanion » 25 May 2022, 20:28

Andy Kev. wrote:Can anybody explain why the angles on some of these chisels is so steep?

https://www.jimbodetools.com/collection ... els-102306

Given that they're obviously old kit, I assume that the previous user had a good reason for those angles on the wider chisels. Can't think what it was though. (I'm assuming that there's no serious distortions due to the angle at which the pictures were taken.)

It does look steep, but then a chisel will work at any angle it's sharpened to, within reason. I find when I grind mine at 25-degrees and gradually hone them over time they will eventually end up nearer 45-degrees by the time they need a grind again.

It might've been a case of personal preference for whatever task the previous owner was using them for, as Ian said, possibly morticing, chopping hinge pockets, any sort of rough work where crisp cuts aren't totally required as with paring and such.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andy Kev. » 25 May 2022, 20:47

Thanks. Both of your replies are interesting. They perhaps indicate that the chisels were owned by a pro who sharpened his chisels for specific tasks.

For an amateur like me, that is a bit of an eye-opener and an insight, as all the books tell us that you sharpen your chisels to one angle and that's it (although the gradual steepening of the bevel with repeated rehonings is presumably taken as granted).
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 25 May 2022, 21:08

Andy Kev. wrote:Thanks. Both of your replies are interesting. They perhaps indicate that the chisels were owned by a pro who sharpened his chisels for specific tasks.

For an amateur like me, that is a bit of an eye-opener and an insight, as all the books tell us that you sharpen your chisels to one angle and that's it (although the gradual steepening of the bevel with repeated rehonings is presumably taken as granted).

There's no doubt that 25 to 30-degrees is the sweet spot for a general-purpose woodworking chisel, but say if you're working in quite spongy softwoods then perhaps an angle of 20-degrees or less could be beneficial for the crispness of cut, or if working with a hard timber like Iroko which dulls tools quickly, an angle of 35-degrees or more could be beneficial for the longevity of the edge.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 26 May 2022, 07:51

Trevanion wrote:There's no doubt that 25 to 30-degrees is the sweet spot for a general-purpose woodworking chisel, but say if you're working in quite spongy softwoods then perhaps an angle of 20-degrees or less could be beneficial for the crispness of cut, or if working with a hard timber like Iroko which dulls tools quickly, an angle of 35-degrees or more could be beneficial for the longevity of the edge.

The late David Charlesworth (discussed elsewhere) was an early advocate of A2 steel which, owing to its structure at the cutting edge, has a horrible habit of crumbling. He found that by increasing the honed bevel to 32 or 33 degrees the edge was still retained and didn't crumble - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 26 May 2022, 10:46

This thread is teetering on the brink of a sharpening thread and all that it can lead to.

Mods are aware :D

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andy Kev. » 26 May 2022, 12:58

9fingers wrote:This thread is teetering on the brink of a sharpening thread and all that it can lead to.

Mods are aware :D

Bob

Think of it more as a "sharpened" thread and we might just get by. :D
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 26 May 2022, 22:13

Popcorn. Jacob. Just sayin'.....
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby Trevanion » 26 May 2022, 22:15

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:Popcorn. Jacob. Just sayin'.....

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby thetyreman » 27 May 2022, 20:45

anywhere between 17 and 35 degrees works
'Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do' Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
thetyreman
Sapling

Name: Ben

Postby Lurker » 27 May 2022, 21:22

thetyreman wrote:anywhere between 17 and 35 degrees works

Utter rubbish, I swear by a 36 degree secondary bevel ;)
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby CStanford » 01 Jun 2022, 14:31

Surely if we're working a back-bevel to around 2/3rds of one degree then we need to be more exact with the main bevel. 33 and 2/3rd degrees could very well be paring nirvana. ;)
CStanford
Seedling

Name:

Return to Hand Toolery