It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:17

New Project

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

Re: New Project

Postby Dalboy » 23 Apr 2022, 11:47

DaveL wrote:
Cabinetman wrote:Just realised the scale of the beast you’re making!
Probably wrong but to me the balancing weight on those wheels looks a bit big compared to the mass of the centre lug, have you tried them for balance on an axle? Ian
The balance weight is not just for the centre mass of the wheel, the crank pin and connecting rod also adds weight.

Lots of things to take into consideration. as you have stated

wallace wrote:I've always wanted to try my hand at model engineering. I picked up a lovely little BCA jig borer for £90 a couple of years ago from facebook.

There are plenty of plans out there it all depends on what you like from small stationary type engines, locos and even traction engines. something simple to start with as there are various kits out there where you can buy castings. It all depends on the equipment you have and any experience you have.

I may have picked a project that is a little more advanced for a total novice like myself as I am only just started in model engineering especially working with metals instead of wood which many of the models I have built in the pass.

CHJ wrote:Outstanding progress Derek, don't forget to label your working Jigs and keep them safe as a set.
Long after project completion they will have value, especially for someone attempting the project with more limited skills, equipment or time.

You can't get anymore limited experience than I have :lol: :lol: :lol: learning as I go but have done a lot of research before starting this journey.
I am lucky that I was able to buy the larger machines in one go but still buying the little nick naks that go along with it as and when needed.
And as for time I seem to have plenty of that with all the things I try to fit into a day ;)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby CHJ » 23 Apr 2022, 13:32

Dalboy wrote:You can't get anymore limited experience than I have

Limited experience in Metal Machining you might have, but you have a lifetime of experience and demonstratively a very high level of craft skill that many can only aspire to and will rarely achieve.
Last edited by CHJ on 24 Apr 2022, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Name: Chas Jones

Postby Dalboy » 24 Apr 2022, 11:30

CHJ wrote:
Dalboy wrote:You can't get anymore limited experience than I have

Limited experience in Meatal Machining you might have, but you have a lifetime of experience and demonstratively a very high level of craft skill that many can only aspire to and will rarely achieve.

Thank you for the compliment Chas
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 24 Apr 2022, 19:28

More done on the wheels started the crank pins by turning the end that is pressed into the wheel and cutting each one to just over the length needed. I managed to complete two and fit them.

The photos show the two complete one with a pin showing the machined end and the last a photo of the four still to complete. I had a total of three failures where I machine off 2 thou too much so on the rest I made them 1 thou over and used wet and dry for the very last bit. The two I have completed are a nice press fit

DSCF2425.JPG
(377.64 KiB)

DSCF2427.JPG
(388.67 KiB)

DSCF2431.JPG
(386.02 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 25 Apr 2022, 15:38

Finished the crank pins and fitted them. Still need to make the axles but will make some eccentrics which will need to go onto one of the axles before they are fitted to the wheels.

DSCF2433.JPG
(435.13 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 05 May 2022, 18:08

Been a little busy lately so was not able to do much on the loco. Now the weekend is over and all my woodturning put away after a great weekend at a rally(No photos)

I have however managed to make the parts for the motion plate and bracket as I am waiting for some more steel to do the axles.
Anyway I made these over a couple of days while trying to catch up in the garden.

DSCF2442.JPG
(474.33 KiB)

DSCF2448.JPG
(375.56 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby CHJ » 05 May 2022, 18:31

Very neat and sharp edged profiles.
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Postby Dalboy » 05 May 2022, 20:19

Thank you Chas
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby CHJ » 05 May 2022, 22:49

I did my initial training as an instrument maker before moving to aviation electronics, my best pal Neville (& subsequently my best man & eldest's godfather) never managed to beat me in the end of year awards but took to modelling as a hobby with a 5-1/2" scale loco that was an order of clean finishing that I could only aspire to, this background has always influenced my appreciation of work seen at various model engineering shows and work in progress articles.
CHJ
Sapling

Postby Dalboy » 10 May 2022, 16:48

Well I managed to make a jig so that I could drill the offset holes in the eccentrics when I turned them well jig made eccentrics turned and holes also drilled. Just the holes for a grub screw to lock them to the axle.

I forgot to take a picture of the jig but will try tomorrow as I will also be using it to drill the grub screw holes

DSCF2460.JPG
(351.79 KiB)

A test fit to a steel bar of the same diameter as the axle which will be silver steel.

DSCF2462.JPG
(395.57 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby CHJ » 10 May 2022, 22:54

Those are very satisfying pictures, clean and consistent, the reality must be considerably more-so.
CHJ
Sapling

Postby NickM » 11 May 2022, 07:38

Those look good. When my dad was doing a lot of metal model making, I think he spent most of the time making tools and jigs for doing tasks like that.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 11 May 2022, 18:40

Thank you Chas and Nick. I know what he meant Nick I make so many jigs even when I made my wooden models.

As promised todays work and an overview of the jig use.

This is the set up for doing the off centre hole and drilling and tapping the thread for the grub screw may not be how many would do it but it seemed to work for me.

The jig with a turned eccentric this was after I had drilled and reamed them just to show one in situ.

DSCF2471.JPG
(251.85 KiB)

Again just set up for the photo as it would sit on parallels and be lined up with the end of the vice for repeatability. Note the slit so it could grip the eccentric from moving during this operation

DSCF2470.JPG
(291.9 KiB)

second operation I had marked the eccentric so that I could line it up with the scribed mark on the little jig. Drilled and tapped

DSCF2468.JPG
(264.06 KiB)

DSCF2474.JPG
(267.46 KiB)

Needed to finish the tapping in a vice

DSCF2476.JPG
(314.67 KiB)

Cleaned the inside of the bore where the thread came through using a small circular diamond burr to clean up the burrs

DSCF2481.JPG
(294.38 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 14 May 2022, 21:54

Set too and got the three axles cut and turned to length followed by turning down 1/2" at each end for a good fit so the wheels can be pressed on.

I also made a start on a fence locking handle for my axminster wood bandsaw as I was getting fed up of keep walking past it and saying "I must repair that sometime" you know what I mean a round tuit job. I could buy a new part but why do that if I have the machines to do the repair myself and it will not be made from plastic like the original that is why it broke in the first place(sorry no photos will take some when complete)

DSCF2511.JPG
(386.61 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby CHJ » 14 May 2022, 22:30

Good luck with the 'Round To its' they are like hens teeth around here.
CHJ
Sapling

Postby Dalboy » 16 May 2022, 18:21

Spent today making up a jig/fixture to quarter the wheels I am trying to keep it simple. I cut two pieces of ali plate 10mm thick and squared it all around to 3.750" found the centre and drilled and tapped a hole through both at the same time this was tapped to 5mm as that is what I had in a screw for the purpose I needed it for. From that centre I marked and drilled the offset equal to the offset of the crank pins followed by reaming it to 1/4" the same as the pins.
Took a few photos to give an idea how the set up will work once complete.
Because I squared each plate by turning one 90deg will give the correct angle for quartering. The two screw threads will have a point machined to go into the centre of the axles by slackening them off a fraction at a time while pressing the assembly together should keep everything in line I will be doing this on a surface plate to keep the jig from twisting.

DSCF2520.JPG
(342.71 KiB)

DSCF2521.JPG
(371.37 KiB)

DSCF2522.JPG
(372.92 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby NickM » 17 May 2022, 09:12

Looking good, and I can tell you're really enjoying making this!
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 18 May 2022, 17:22

NickM wrote:Looking good, and I can tell you're really enjoying making this!

Thank you Nick. Yes enjoying every minute.

Not much done today so no photos just machining bits and pieces for jigs so I can finally assemble the axles and wheels as well as start the connecting rods
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 20 May 2022, 20:43

Getting ready to start the connecting rods and for some of the machining I need the use of my rotary table but to hold the plate which I machined flat so that I can mount a connecting rod to it I need to first make some T nuts as the ones on the milling machine are just way to big.
Got the T nuts shaped and rough cut to length with one end square I now need to machine them to the correct length that I have worked out I need as well as drill and tap a hole in the for these operations I need to make up a stop so I can do all the repeat operations and complete them.
A case of one job needing more jobs to complete the first does this sound familiar :lol: :lol: :lol:
Never mind learning a lot from this and none of the things will be a waste of time as they can be used time and time again.
I am sure there will be more like this in the future
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby CHJ » 21 May 2022, 11:37

Dalboy wrote:..... learning a lot from this and none of the things will be a waste of time as they can be used time and time again.
I wonder how long it will be before you unearth some bits of jig 'specials' and wonder "what did I make those for".
CHJ
Sapling

Postby Dalboy » 21 May 2022, 15:41

CHJ wrote:
Dalboy wrote:..... learning a lot from this and none of the things will be a waste of time as they can be used time and time again.
I wonder how long it will be before you unearth some bits of jig 'specials' and wonder "what did I make those for".

I still have jigs from making the wooden models from way back luckily I can remember each one I had made, when I start forgetting then I will start to worry :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just an update.

One job ticked off before getting back to the Rob Roy. Mind you there is still one more to do which I needed this one for.

And that is a stop for the milling machine vice as I have multiple parts to make for the rotary table and this was one that I should have made before now as I knew I would need it.

It is only a basic design but should do the job required of it

DSCF2526.JPG
(307.25 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 25 May 2022, 18:25

This is the set up I have been preparing as well as a connecting rod having been machined still in place

DSCF2527.JPG
(380.61 KiB)

This is the first stage as can be seen two holes drilled and one end rounded. Still needs a taper milling from the rounded section up to a square section where the large hole is and also machining the two sides to thin the part.

This requires two of these I did have some problems mounting the piece on the rotary table but beat it into submission in the end. The next one will be easier as will the 4 coupling rods

DSCF2529.JPG
(301.73 KiB)

DSCF2531.JPG
(232.87 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby CHJ » 25 May 2022, 21:57

Good work on getting that done on the rotary table, in days gone by I could see that being done with a hand file and some case hardened buttons.
CHJ
Sapling

Postby Dalboy » 25 May 2022, 22:29

CHJ wrote:Good work on getting that done on the rotary table, in days gone by I could see that being done with a hand file and some case hardened buttons.

With the time it took filing with buttons would have been quicker :lol: . But at least if I have to set up again it will be quicker as learnt a lot.
I do have some case hardening powder so could have made a set of buttons
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 18 Jun 2022, 11:36

Anyway finished the connecting rods with all the bronze bearings and the brass oiler which is only 5/32" diameter.

DSCF2582.JPG
(269.89 KiB)

I also managed to quarter the wheels and fit them to the frame I now have a rolling chassis just a few things to make before starting on the cylinder assemblies.

DSCF2585.JPG
(315.46 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Engineering - Electrical/Metalworking