It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:34

New Project

This is the place to go with all your issues, questions or handy hints on all things related to motors, electrickery, engineering, metalwork etc...

New Project

Postby Dalboy » 20 Jan 2022, 20:14

Towards the end of last year I treated myself to some nice new machines and not woodworking. Having only ever use a metal lathe when I was a school and never even touch a milling machine in my life I started a new project these parts took me a week to complete(And there are many more to come) that is only two or three hours each day. I even had to make some stickers so I knew which way the table moved when I turned the handles :eusa-doh:

No prizes for correct guesses what it is

DSCF2159.JPG
(361.01 KiB)

DSCF2156.JPG
(338.88 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Re: New Project

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 20 Jan 2022, 21:07

Model train.

Nicely done, Sir.
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby Malc2098 » 20 Jan 2022, 23:30

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Dalboy » 20 Jan 2022, 23:46

Still lots to learn thank you both.

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:Model train.

Nicely done, Sir.

Yes correct hopefully it will run on live steam one when finished
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Peri » 21 Jan 2022, 07:36

For a first milling project, that looks very neat and tidy :)
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby Andyp » 21 Jan 2022, 07:37

Wow! This is one to look forward to.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Dalboy » 21 Jan 2022, 16:36

Thank you Peri and Andy. I am looking forward to the adventure but I still want to find time for some woodwork in-between making this Loco.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby wallace » 21 Jan 2022, 20:08

I had an early wadkin lathe with a carriage and when you turned the handwheel left it went right. They changed the design on later models.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 26 Jan 2022, 18:56

Done most of the buffer beam this week until I realised that I needed a milling cutter to complete them. So Monday ordered from Tracey tools they arrived this morning post office must have pulled up their socks at last even my ME copy arrived two days early.

DSCF2161.JPG
(383.94 KiB)

On to yesterday I thought I would start another part while waiting for the cutter(always something can be made). That so far is great being able to do something until today. found one of the pieces of metal but the second must have been taken by the workshop gremlins.

So to help a little I had a little clean up not that it was that untidy as I do try to keep things clean and put away unless they are being worked on. still no sign of the part, Coffee time and onto the computer and ordered some castings for the rob Roy as well as a pile of steel also for the loco.

Back into the workshop and spotted an angle plate which had the smallest amount of rust trying to creep on to it I may as well get on top of that before it takes hold over to the vice and yes you guessed it there sitting in the vice was the missing piece of steel it is now with the other piece in a safe place until I forget where I put them.

Oh well another exciting week so far what will I loose next
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby CHJ » 27 Jan 2022, 00:04

Brilliant start to your new venture into metal manipulation. Many a long term exponent would do well to meet those standards.

Rust, sounds like you might need a low heat tool storage solution in your new shed.

Had to nip into my shed this evening to to turn up a drilling guide bush for local farmer whilst he waited, the tools in the the storage draw felt warm to the touch and the cabinet (old set of kitchen draws) only has an 11 watt bulb in it, on 24/7.
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Name: Chas Jones

Postby Dalboy » 27 Jan 2022, 00:33

CHJ wrote:Brilliant start to your new venture into metal manipulation. Many a long term exponent would do well to meet those standards.

Rust, sounds like you might need a low heat tool storage solution in your new shed.

Had to nip into my shed this evening to to turn up a drilling guide bush for local farmer whilst he waited, the tools in the the storage draw felt warm to the touch and the cabinet (old set of kitchen draws) only has an 11 watt bulb in it, on 24/7.

Thank you Chas I am pleased the way the frames came out just took my time and double checked all measurements.
I think the small amount of rust I found may have been while I had it in store before moving back into the new workshop just did not see it. Nothing else shows any sign of the dreaded brown stuff. I have a electric greenhouse heater on all the time with a thermostat that keeps the temperature just enough in there worked a treat in the old one as well
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 27 Jan 2022, 13:20

I think it’s more about humidity than temperature. My shed is unheated and the only thing that seems to get rust on it from time to time is a 1cwt Anvil sitting on the floor. I’ve not had rust on any of my machines.

Nice start on the Loco. Have you got somewhere to run it or will you be setting up your own track?
I used to go to the show in Guildford every year when I lived over that way.

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/ ... obilebasic
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 27 Jan 2022, 14:29

Woodster wrote:I think it’s more about humidity than temperature. My shed is unheated and the only thing that seems to get rust on it from time to time is a 1cwt Anvil sitting on the floor. I’ve not had rust on any of my machines.

Nice start on the Loco. Have you got somewhere to run it or will you be setting up your own track?
I used to go to the show in Guildford every year when I lived over that way.

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/ ... obilebasic

In my old shed/workshop all I ever had was a heater and did not have any problems with rust so will see how this one works as it is a lot bigger, nothing else has any signs of rust I think it was where it was put while changing over as I have only just got back into this one.

No where yet to run it but will be joining the local Engineering club so I can have a test certificate as well as somewhere to run it and meet others with the same interests.
I did approach management but that was turned down straight away so I did not submit planning for it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby CHJ » 27 Jan 2022, 17:59

As long as Metal machines or tools are 1-2 degrees above local ambient you will not normally get condensation on them.

If you regularly run machines and generate internal heat in motors etc, covering with old blankets overnight will retain the warmth.

My Lathe shed does not have heating, too crude a construction for regular heating with any efficiency.
The lathes sit behind a large area of south facing glass so never have rust problems, neither do my wood turning tools on racks that have the benefit of radiant window heat.
Only trouble I had was with chucks and accessories stored in cabinets below sunlight level, the 'heater' bulb solved that problem.

If you need a luxury solution to keeping machine bodies above ambient look up Bob's (9fingers) low voltage resistor heating solution.
Old link to you know where

Apologise for the hijack Derek.
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Postby Dalboy » 28 Jan 2022, 20:40

No problem Chas. I work on the temperature just above freezing mark and it seems to work for the majority of things.
Anyway back to the project new milling cutters arrived the other day but with other things going on the workshop got a miss.
The good news however is that I had a delivery of metal as well as some of the castings which look pretty good on first inspection

DSCF2171.JPG
(320.04 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 28 Jan 2022, 21:55

Nice start Dalboy. I putter around up to two days a week at a volunteer railway and I can recommend rubber-necking at your nearest - it's amazing what you can glean from guys working on 60 ton locos that is still applicable in the smaller scale what fits on your bench.
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby CHJ » 30 Jan 2022, 11:50

One aspect of work on model locos I encountered in my first experience was that making everything to the highest precision fit resulted in a satisfying assembly that had to be disassembled and 'relaxed' before it would consent to proceed.
CHJ
Sapling

Postby Dalboy » 03 Feb 2022, 20:39

Yesterdays work.
Cut the two slots in each buffer beam for the main chassis frames to fit into, there also was a little filing as the cutter left a half circle at the end so had to square that up so the frames fitted right into them. They fit very snug so a nice push fit into them. This is the first of many dry fits. I need to make some brackets so they can be riveted together but that will have to wait as other stuff need doing before they can be fixed in place.

It is surprising how long cutting 4 total slots can take especially as I am a novice at this type of modelling

DSCF2184.JPG
(314.25 KiB)

Started late in the workshop today a quick visit to the opticians to sort out new glasses.
Anyway I managed to mill to size a spacer block no photo just a plain rectangle of steel. Then started on the hornblocks by cleaning one surface as a reference and then clean the other side..
They still need to be brought to final size which will clean up the little bits and pieces. I have also given the ends a tidy up to bring them square before the main parts which will be the inside faces. These three will take a little time to complete as I don't want to have to order new castings.
These will eventually be split in half across the middle giving me six in total. I just thought it best to do as much work as I can before doing so

DSCF2186.JPG
(222.69 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby CHJ » 03 Feb 2022, 22:22

Good progress, 'softly softly gently does it' rules the day, putting it back is rarely a realistic option.

You are already doing in days what a starter to the subject might take weeks whilst tackling the learning curves involved with new machines.
CHJ
Sapling

Postby Dalboy » 03 Feb 2022, 22:54

CHJ wrote:Good progress, 'softly softly gently does it' rules the day, putting it back is rarely a realistic option.

You are already doing in days what a starter to the subject might take weeks whilst tackling the learning curves involved with new machines.

Thank you Chas I tend to spend a lot of time working out how to hold and in what order to make cuts before even turning on a machine. Some say that I have taken on something a little on the difficult side and should have picked something easy to start with but I feel that I will win in the end and I am sure that I will make mistakes but will try not too.
Having a mechanical background help just a little :lol:
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 11 Feb 2022, 19:44

As I am getting to the stage of the axles and the like I thought I would deviate and make the buffers just as a practice before turning the axles first one went terrible now you see why I decided to do these at least they are easier to just remake

DSCF2189.JPG
(308.92 KiB)

Anyway scrapped that one and started again this time with better results. Those that know my work in making wooden models will know that I would rather scrap something and remake it if I am not happy with that part I don't believe in trying to salvage something and it end up looking worse than the first attempt which failed.

So 4 of them which look much better

DSCF2200 buffer.JPG
(231.77 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby CHJ » 12 Feb 2022, 13:14

:eusa-clap:
CHJ
Sapling

Postby Dalboy » 13 Feb 2022, 18:33

More work on the buffer assembly I managed to turn all the outside of the stocks and then reverse one of them and drilled a small through hole and opened up a section for the buffer to fit into. Still need to drill the other three.

The completed stock on the left with the buffer on the right

DSCF2226.JPG
(172.77 KiB)

Slide together I still need to make the springs the front and rear spring are different strengths as well as some nuts to hold them in place

DSCF2227.JPG
(168.01 KiB)

The buffer beam with the buffer assembly just pushed into place

DSCF2214.JPG
(246.79 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 13 Feb 2022, 19:03

Fascinating Derek,
I’m struggling with a sense of scale though. How big will the finished loco be?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Dalboy » 13 Feb 2022, 19:21

Andyp wrote:Fascinating Derek,
I’m struggling with a sense of scale though. How big will the finished loco be?

This may help give an idea of the size HERE
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Next

Return to Engineering - Electrical/Metalworking