It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:15

Round door set from Wealden

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Round door set from Wealden

Postby RogerS » 31 Mar 2022, 16:50

Looking at this cutter set

round door set wealden.png
(359.4 KiB)

I think with some judicious fettling, removal of cutter bits and two passes (inverting between the passes) that it would be possible to have the roundover on both sides of the door. What does the team think ?

TIA
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Round door set from Wealden

Postby spb » 31 Mar 2022, 17:27

It should be possible, provided your stock is accurately thicknessed so as to reference from either face and get the same result. You'd just line up the tongue or groove part of the cutter with the one left by the first pass after flipping the workpiece over. I think the more sensitive operation would be setting your fence for the stile cut on the second pass.
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Postby Trevanion » 31 Mar 2022, 18:41

£83?! I'd sooner have a set of euro knives ground to my exact spec than pay that much for a pair of dinky router bits Roger. Especially if the router bits include faffing about, I can't abide faffing about!
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike Jordan » 31 Mar 2022, 19:54

If you have a spindle moulder, eurocutters 98/99 may be suitable.
I try to buy nothing from China.
Mike Jordan
Sapling

Name: Mike Jordan

Postby RogerS » 31 Mar 2022, 21:08

Trevanion wrote:£83?! I'd sooner have a set of euro knives ground to my exact spec than pay that much for a pair of dinky router bits Roger. Especially if the router bits include faffing about, I can't abide faffing about!

Fair point but that is for both cutters. I admit that I did blanch at the price.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 31 Mar 2022, 21:11

Mike Jordan wrote:If you have a spindle moulder, eurocutters 98/99 may be suitable.

Thank you for the thought. I do but neither of those would work. And, as I mentioned to Dan, one needs two cutters....scribe and profile.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 31 Mar 2022, 21:18

RogerS wrote:Fair point but that is for both cutters. I admit that I did blanch at the price.

Yes but what size door are you making? if under 25mm you could get both made onto a 55mm cutter or maybe even a 50mm, and if you don't have the limiters (you should really, but it wouldn't be the first time for you :D) that won't cost as much as the dual bit set and you will get a much better finish, plus the less faffing.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 31 Mar 2022, 21:26

Trevanion wrote:
RogerS wrote:Fair point but that is for both cutters. I admit that I did blanch at the price.

Yes but what size door are you making? if under 25mm you could get both made onto a 55mm cutter or maybe even a 50mm, and if you don't have the limiters (you should really, but it wouldn't be the first time for you :D) that won't cost as much as the dual bit set and you will get a much better finish, plus the less faffing.

Oooh...I like your thinking and I just happen to have a block large enough. :text-goodpost:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike Jordan » 31 Mar 2022, 21:53

I thought that 98/99 were scribe and profile?
I try to buy nothing from China.
Mike Jordan
Sapling

Name: Mike Jordan

Postby RogerS » 01 Apr 2022, 02:47

Mike Jordan wrote:I thought that 98/99 were scribe and profile?

They are but the actual shape is not what we're after.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 01 Apr 2022, 02:53

I have several Yonico cutters and they are very good.
The fact they are less than half price is irrelevant :eusa-whistle:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yonico-12241-R ... 5507566835
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 01 Apr 2022, 18:28

OK..so to close off on this and I appreciate all the suggestions.

In retrospect, the size of the round over in the router cutter is great for small cupboard doors (and I would have got a set that Sunnybob mentioned) but for large 2.2m tall doors, out of proportion IMO.

I liked Dan's suggestion of combining the two cutters but Chief Designer, understandably, wants the round over on both sides. That then pushes up the size of the cutter needed (if I want to do the profile in a single pass) and both scribe and profile can't fit on the blank. So double set of cutters. And the door thickness not much less than the main doors. I was trying to keep the thickness of the door a bit smaller than the main room doors for (my) aesthetic reasons. Only about 5mm in it.

I faffed around for ages thinking about it and thought ....JFDI...make the doors the same as the main room door. Use existing cutters. Just get on with it !

As an aside, while going through my existing set of cutters, kept coming across some that I couldn't remember what/when/where :oops: Even when Whitehill put a date stamp on the cutter, you'd think I could go back into emails or Flickr or forums posts to find out what they are for. Not a chance :oops: :oops:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery