It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:02

Mike's ext'n & renovation (sunroom stone floor & plinth)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (ledge & boarded door)

Postby Mike G » 29 Oct 2021, 15:02

MattS wrote:........ I was admiring some of the internal doors, particularly ones with wooden latches... you weren't tempted to go down that route? No idea on what is historically correct for your house put they did feel nice in wood.

I did that on the last house I built, but my wife was pretty clear that she preferred blacksmith made latches rather than wooden this time around.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (Oak framed sunroom)

Postby Mike G » 11 Jun 2022, 17:43

Time to get on with the last major project on the house: a sunroom. This is a conservatory with a solid roof, rather than glass, and mine will be oak framed over a brick plinth with a slate roof. Here's a couple of drawings:

The back of the house has looked like this for 4 or 5 years, awaiting this project. The left hand double door leads into the lounge, and the right hand one services the kitchen:

I did some basic setting out, and cut the sand & cement temporary surface to the line of the outside of the brickwork, using an angle grinder:

I did a little hand digging, setting out the line of the retaining wall. This project is somewhat complex with the changes of level involved, curved retaining wall, ramp, and so on. The footprint is about 3.3m x 6m, and I am going to build it on a reinforced raft. There is no need for a building inspector to be involved, as it is an unheated external space, separate from the house with an external door between.....so the raft is simply my own design.

Those of you with good memories might remember that I fitted the lead flashing for this sunroom 3 or 4 years ago when I rendered the house. It might be longer ago than that, and you can see it below the left hand two windows.

I hired this little 3 ton machine for the day:

I had a biggish job to do in the garden with it first, so I started on the sunroom excavation around lunchtime. First, I scraped off the temporary sand & cement "patio" surface:

This is the state of play after I finished with the digger. It was pretty rough, as I only had access from one side, and had to pull all the spoil towards me and drag it backwards into a corner of the veggie patch, like this:

It's all in rock-hard clay, which tore roughly rather than cut neatly, but I didn't do an awful job with the digger, and best of all, I didn't put a bucket through the doors!

Slow going. Anyway, today I spent all day with a shovel, spade and mattock, and straightened everything out by hand:

Note the build-up at the far end of the excavation. The far wall will act as a retaining wall, with only 2, or maybe 3, courses of brick above ground level.

Here's an idea of the levels. Note the top of the house foundations. Note also that the top of slab is the top of the brick step at the door threshold, so you can see the thickness is about 160mm, except at the edges where is is a further 100+mm deep. There will then be 50mm of insulation, 70mm of screed, and then stone to come level with the existing:

This project is going to be in fits and starts though the summer, so don't expect rapid progress.
Last edited by Mike G on 11 Jun 2022, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 11 Jun 2022, 17:48

You are a glutton for punishment Mike. :lol:

Diggers are great fun.

If you need a hand when you get to putting the frame up, let me know, I am happy to pop over. I always prefer helping someone else to actually finishing my own jobs. 8-)
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 11 Jun 2022, 17:54

Thanks Adrian. You're always welcome to come and help. I think erection of the frame will be pretty straightforward, though, as the longest piece of timber is only 10 feet.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Jun 2022, 17:56

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 11 Jun 2022, 18:03

Oh Adrian dont spoil the fun we all get watching Mike do all of this single handed. :)

I am sure it will be a notch or two above nice.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Phil » 17 Jun 2022, 08:58

Watching from far ...................

Will look good 8-)
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby TrimTheKing » 17 Jun 2022, 18:56

Ahhh lovely, another Mike project!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 17 Jun 2022, 21:20

Concrete is booked for Tuesday PM. I could have been ready for this week, but a builder friend of mine struggled with just 1/2 a cubic metre yesterday........it was setting before he could tamp it properly and trowel the edges. So, I've waited for this hot spell to end, and my 4-1/2 cubic metres shouldn't be too much of a strain next week.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 17 Jun 2022, 22:59

Hope you can get the truck up to it Mike, I did one by the wheelbarrow load once— never again!
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Mike G » 18 Jun 2022, 08:24

I'll be building a chute, Ian. The truck can get close, but not close enough for its own chute to reach. I've asked for a wet mix to help it flow into place.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 18 Jun 2022, 09:21

Not close enough? You need one of these.
E09D69DA-7BB6-4413-88C3-52239787D195.jpeg
(551.13 KiB)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 18 Jun 2022, 13:31

I haven't room for a pump, and anyway they cost about £250. Three scaffold boards and some plastic sheeting cost me nothing. The concrete company dropped by today to check out the access. It took him 30 seconds to say......."all's good, see you Tuesday".
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 18 Jun 2022, 14:12

Fair enough. Hope it goes well.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby AJB Temple » 18 Jun 2022, 15:13

£250 down here would be cheap. When we did the new kitchen and utility/larder I had about 18 cubic metres and there was no way we could have laid that lot without pumping it and even then it was a race against time. I paid the pump guy to get the mix shifted around. Luckily it flowed quite well. I did the big area and wife and offspring did the side room. Mine was level 8-)

Never thought of making an extension chute. Wish I had known that trick when we did the piano room pour. Will be interesting to see it in action.

Good luck with the weather Mike.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby jimmy s » 18 Jun 2022, 23:17

I'm looking at £600 to hire a pump here.
jimmy s
New Shoots

Name: Jimmy Simpson

Postby Mike G » 21 Jun 2022, 18:18

The concrete has gone in, and it couldn't have gone better. Here's the set-up:

You don't get a lot of chance to take photos when the mixer arrives, but here's the start:

......and the result:

I always have an over-flow location for any spare concrete, and this time it was a small shed base:

There was a couple of barrow-fulls left over after that, and that got put in a small footing for part of the stepped retaining wall which is also part of the sunroom project. Everything got tamped in short order, and cleaning the tools and boards etc probably took longer than the actual pour. I'd ordered 4-1/2 cubic metres of C35, of which about 4 cubes went into the sunroom raft.

As it's warmish, I'll put a mist over the concrete before I go to bed this evening, to try and slow down the set.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Blackswanwood » 21 Jun 2022, 18:41

Looks like a good start Mike although I imagine a bit of cloud cover would have been welcome today.

I’m intrigued that you don’t need building control - is it as simple as having external doors between the house and sunroom?

Cheers
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby Mike G » 21 Jun 2022, 19:45

Almost. There is no heating out there. If there was, then it would be of interest to Building Control, and I think the whole structure would then need to be inspected.......not just for Part L compliance.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby the bear » 27 Jun 2022, 16:42

Looks like I'm a bit late to this latest update. Good to see more of your progress, inspiring to see you do so much yourself (if only I could turn that inspiration into anything like the same workrate. Looking forward to seeing this part progress as I'm currently sat in the oaf frame extension on my house.

Looking at the background of some of those photos it looks like you finished the bike shed, a long time ago I'm sure, did you join it to the garage in the end, can't quite make out if theres a middle bit. And do I spy a new shed by the workshop?

All the best

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 27 Jun 2022, 17:02

Mike are sure you don’t deliberately order an extra 1/2 cubic metre just so you can build another shed? How many does a man need. :)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 27 Jun 2022, 18:02

The bike shed isn't connected to the garage really, but it looks like it is. There is a firewood store between the two, with a tiled roof. That stands independantly of the two buildings either side, and doesn't have a "floor". It's so that no building inspector can ever say that the 3 buildings are connected and therefore count as one for building control. Therefore, as independant buildings each under 30 sq m, there has been no need for Building Control to get involved.

The shed by the workshop has been up for 5 years, I guess. It's a store for building materials and tools, so that I can keep the workshop entirely for woodworking stuff.

The 11th and final shed, Andy, is to house our new chipper shredder, which is about 6 inches too wide to fit into the garden shed. It will also have chicken food and bedding in it.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 27 Jun 2022, 18:29

If you are going to keep chickens then presumably you will need to build a coop. How will you protect them from marauding foxes in a non-eyesore way?
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 27 Jun 2022, 19:15

I'm building the coop at the moment, and that will be situated inside a fully-wired enclosure. The run will have a chicken wire roof, as well as wire buried in the ground around the bottom of the "walls". There are foxes all over the place around here, so if you keep chickens you have to take fulsome precautions.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 27 Jun 2022, 19:58

My run and coop was fox proof. Pine marten proof is another matter. We had never seen one until it showed up on the trail cam. Very rare in suffolk apparently but you dont want to be the first.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP