It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:05

Bog oak box

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Bog oak box

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Dec 2021, 18:13

Really nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Lons » 30 Dec 2021, 21:43

Woodbloke wrote:
MY63 wrote:It came out ok in the end.

That's slightly better than 'OK'! - Rob

+1 :eusa-clap:
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 31 Dec 2021, 18:22

Mike G wrote:This 1:1:1 mixture is brushed on then wiped off after 5 to 10 minutes. That lot will dry overnight and the gluing up of the frame can happen tomorrow. If the legs seem like too much of a contrast to the bog-oak, then I'll rub them back fairly hard and apply the darker finish. Finally, the end of this drawn out build is in sight.

It has to be an oil-based varnish, not a water based one. It can be any oil, but these days I use Osmo to try to use up what I've got left. Slap the mixture on any old how, but you have to wipe it off before it goes tacky, and then leave it to dry for 24 hours. Build up as many coats as you like, but 3 for most things is enough......6 or 7 for a table top.

I've just made up a small jam jar of this gloop as I had a very small amount of Osmo left in a pot. So it's one part Osmo, one part white spirits and one part part Liberon Finishing Oil (I have three tins of the stuff); stir thoroughly and apply. I've just used a cloth to put on a first thin coat with a couple more tomorrow - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 31 Dec 2021, 18:33

Woodbloke wrote:
Mike G wrote:This 1:1:1 mixture is brushed on then wiped off after 5 to 10 minutes. That lot will dry overnight and the gluing up of the frame can happen tomorrow. If the legs seem like too much of a contrast to the bog-oak, then I'll rub them back fairly hard and apply the darker finish. Finally, the end of this drawn out build is in sight.

It has to be an oil-based varnish, not a water based one. It can be any oil, but these days I use Osmo to try to use up what I've got left. Slap the mixture on any old how, but you have to wipe it off before it goes tacky, and then leave it to dry for 24 hours. Build up as many coats as you like, but 3 for most things is enough......6 or 7 for a table top.

I've just made up a small jam jar of this gloop as I had a very small amount of Osmo left in a pot. So it's one part Osmo, one part white spirits and one part part Liberon Finishing Oil (I have three tins of the stuff); stir thoroughly and apply. I've just used a cloth to put on a first thin coat with a couple more tomorrow - Rob

I think these are all essentially variants of "Sam Maloof's Mixture" being 1 part solvents various and 2 parts varnish/oils various
I've used 1part white spirit and 2 parts oil based PU (rustins) very successfully on my lounge furniture projects in the last few years. I've applied by brush and brushed it out to very thin coats with a minimum of 3 coats, de-nibbing and tack clothing in between. I suspect it could have been a little faster drying if I'd wiped off the excess but I got quite adept at watching for any runs when brushing out.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 31 Dec 2021, 19:04

9fingers wrote:
I think these are all essentially variants of "Sam Maloof's Mixture" being 1 part solvents various and 2 parts varnish/oils various
I've used 1part white spirit and 2 parts oil based PU (rustins) very successfully on my lounge furniture projects in the last few years. I've applied by brush and brushed it out to very thin coats with a minimum of 3 coats, de-nibbing and tack clothing in between. I suspect it could have been a little faster drying if I'd wiped off the excess but I got quite adept at watching for any runs when brushing out.

Bob

It's just that I suddenly remembered that I had a very small amount of unused satin Osmo (the final dregs of a tin, probably half and egg cup) so I thought I'd mix up a trial batch and give it a go. The first thin coat on a gash bit of oak is already almost 'touch dry', so it looks promising - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 31 Dec 2021, 19:22

9fingers wrote:......I think these are all essentially variants of "Sam Maloof's Mixture".....

Yes, indeed. However, I object to it being called Maloof's mixture (Americans do that all the time), on the grounds that it had been in woodworking text books a hundred years before he used it, and had probably been in common use for many years before that.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 01 Jan 2022, 10:00

Mike G wrote:
9fingers wrote:......I think these are all essentially variants of "Sam Maloof's Mixture".....

Yes, indeed. However, I object to it being called Maloof's mixture (Americans do that all the time), on the grounds that it had been in woodworking text books a hundred years before he used it, and had probably been in common use for many years before that.

Well I call it "Mike G's Magic Mix" as I'd never heard of Sam Maloof :lol:
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby pitch pine » 01 Jan 2022, 10:40

I am a covert to this too, thanks Mike. I used the same varnish plus any old oil (tung I think) and white spirit and it built up to a lovely even finish. Just stop the coats when it looks right to your taste. Forums are great for learning stuff like this.
pitch pine
New Shoots

Name: nick

Postby Woodbloke » 02 Jan 2022, 14:07

This is my little trial piece of oak, finished with four thin coats of MMM (Mike's Magic Mixture :D ), de-nibbled with some worn 600g Abranet and then give a coat of my 'go to' Swedish beeswax:

IMG_6370.jpeg
(398.79 KiB)

Seems to be a very pleasant, satin finish which I think I'll use a lot more in the future. As a 'Brucie Bonus', it would appear that the jar doesn't form a skin, which I found intensely irritating with pure Osmo. The jar is a very old one and the previous layers of Osmo can clearly be seen - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 02 Jan 2022, 15:59

Woodbloke wrote:.....Seems to be a very pleasant, satin finish .......
I always reckon on the finish being one-down from the level of gloss in the original varnish. So if you use satin varnish in your mix, it will be pretty close to matt, and if, like you did, you use gloss then it will finish satin-ish. If you really want it to be glossy, then do the last coat as gloss varnish and white spirit 50/50.

The very biggest advantage in my view, Rob, is that it is pretty foolproof. It doesn't rely on brushing skill (no "tipping out"), and it doesn't need a perfectly dust-free atmosphere. So for those who have a real-world workshop rather than a separate finishing room, you can tackle this finish without worrying too much.

And yes, you're right, it doesn't skin over in the jar.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby PAC1 » 02 Jan 2022, 16:15

It keeps forever as well. I found a 20 year old jar of it in a cupboard. It was fine.
It is excellent for carvings as the last thing you want is a brush full of varnish filling up a detail.
PAC1
Sapling

Name: Peter

Postby Woodbloke » 02 Jan 2022, 17:49

Mike G wrote:... like you did, you use gloss then it will finish satin-ish.

I don't use gloss Osmo, so this was the last dregs of a satin tin and the finish came out satinish as well, so quite similar to the original Osmo. I also though, gave it a coat of wax over the top. The non-skinning jar is a definite 'plus point' as is the ease of application; slosh it on all over (like the great smell of 'Brute' :lol: ) wipe off the excess and repeat etc - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 02 Jan 2022, 22:35

No it's the varnish gloss level I was talking about Rob. I don't think the oil gloss makes any difference.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby PAC1 » 03 Jan 2022, 16:29

Woodbloke wrote:
Mike G wrote:... like you did, you use gloss then it will finish satin-ish.

I don't use gloss Osmo, so this was the last dregs of a satin tin and the finish came out satinish as well, so quite similar to the original Osmo. I also though, gave it a coat of wax over the top. The non-skinning jar is a definite 'plus point' as is the ease of application; slosh it on all over (like the great smell of 'Brute' :lol: ) wipe off the excess and repeat etc - Rob

I would be interested in how the Osmo works. I still use linseed oil so if Osmo works without skinning over in the jar, that would give me more options.
PAC1
Sapling

Name: Peter

Previous

Return to Projects & WIP