It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:39

V & A coffee table Finished!

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

V & A coffee table Finished!

Postby Andyp » 15 Jan 2022, 17:52

Remember the ideas I had for a coffee table?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6814

I’ve started!

Stuck Malcolm's pattern on to two pieces of laminated pine boards and screwed together.
47E7EFC1-1EEE-44B3-9F53-C4B223999620.jpeg
(247.04 KiB)

Cut the biggest pieces out on the bandsaw.
AE6EEEA2-02C4-4CC9-A4AB-06865538AA31.jpeg
(245.79 KiB)

The inside cutouts on the scroll saw
D5F1EE33-5F18-4117-8E5E-A6B314A6F077.jpeg
(188.07 KiB)

FA054071-3D3F-4B62-BCF4-3445158C20E7.jpeg
(309.46 KiB)

And offered up to an existing table to see how it would look
76E1BEF4-CEE7-4AAB-AD12-4F2D4B063E2B.jpeg
(179.67 KiB)

From this I can see that the feet need more meat and there is not a lot of room for the rails at the top. :eusa-think:

What about a stainless steel stretcher between the legs to hold them apart? Fixed in the middle of the A’s crosspiece .

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

I am now on the lookout for some 1” oak boards to make the real thing from.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: V & A coffee table

Postby Andyp » 15 Jan 2022, 18:32

Just made a 6mm stretcher to see how it looks. Needs to be a lot thicker of course but she approves.

08ED19DB-BC30-441F-ABB7-80C25B831450.jpeg
(471.61 KiB)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 15 Jan 2022, 18:56

Love the prototyping, Andy. Watching with interest.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 15 Jan 2022, 23:06

Nice design. ;)

Nice job.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby AJB Temple » 15 Jan 2022, 23:23

Good work. :text-bravo: I would experiment with carving to differentiate the V &A. Agree the feet need to be a good deal thicker as that end grain is vulnerable.

Do you have a lathe? A turned bar between the legs (may need to be made in 2 or 3 pieces) might look good.

Will you let the legs into the top underside with a hidden or maybe wedged tenon? Would add rigidity and as a through wedged tenon, with contrast wedge, might show it off as hand made cabinet making.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 16 Jan 2022, 09:13

Well it’s a start.
For the carving do you mean carving some grooves to highlight one of the letters eg the V like this

8AE4435E-3C85-47E1-9794-D0BF06BE6D89.jpeg
(179.93 KiB)

For attaching the top I am thinking about through cylindrical loose tenons, aka, dowels. Either wedged or not. I like the combination of oak and walnut which was used to great effect on the settle. A walnut stretcher as well perhaps.
Last edited by Andyp on 16 Jan 2022, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit image

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Cabinetman » 16 Jan 2022, 11:25

Hi Andy, I acquired some cast iron table ends which in effect were pretty much what you’re doing with the V and A, this was a lot of years ago, I put a top on it but needed a stretcher, I imagine the original had been cast-iron so I used a piece of mahogany and planed facets on it and fitted staircase type nuts and bolts to the ends where it went through the cast-iron and tightened it all up, the end section of the mahogany where it touched the cast-iron was about an inch and a half square? The table never was hugely stable and if I was to do it again the stretcher would be redesigned so that it had a higher cross-section, certainly no less than 2 1/2 inches, but that was a 7ft dining table.
Rather than have such a large piece of wood going across at the bottom you may be able to add another two at the top which would give you more stability as well as something to fasten the top to, looking really good up to now. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Jan 2022, 11:53

Andyp wrote:Well it’s a start.
For the carving do you mean carving some grooves to highlight one of the letters...

This is going to be a good'n :D For the carving, I'd go the whole nine yards and break out the carving gouges to relief carve the whole lot (or part of it) to accentuate where the two letters cross - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 16 Jan 2022, 12:10

I'd beef up the delicate letter endings with two horizontals as in the crude diagram below. these would over hang a bit and be thicker than the VA section by say 10mm either side you could even M&T the letter ends into the horizontals.

VA2.jpg
(17.08 KiB)

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 16 Jan 2022, 14:05

OK. here is where I am this morning.
Ian correctly pointed out the advantages of upper rails which is something I had in mind before.

legendsA.jpeg
(183.49 KiB)

The red boxes represent the horizontal rails with dowels to hold in place. The dowels to attach the legs to the top are also in green. I could also add buttons to the rails to hold the top.

The weak end grain I only see as an issue for the feet and I would really like to keep the overall design unaltered so I propose just two, relatively thin, pieces of horizontally grained timber under each as shown in black. Maybe under the V as well.

That level of carving Rob goes against my KISS principles, sorry.

A simple turned wooden stretcher maybe in order. Lathe not big enough to do in one piece but could be made in pieces as Adrian suggests.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 16 Jan 2022, 14:13

Maybe rout a small radius roundover on all the cut edges and mimic the profile by carving where you have indicated on your photo?
If you are putting the feet on the ends of the A's I think I'd leave the end of the V off the floor as it will be both strong enough and to avoid more problems getting 6 feet in the same plane to stop rocking.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 16 Jan 2022, 14:42

yes Bob, I was thinking that as well.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Jan 2022, 15:12

Andyp wrote:That level of carving Rob goes against my KISS principles, sorry.

All in favour of the KISS principle Andy, but I'd be tempted to go the extra mile on this one. The relief carving doesn't have to enormous, rather where one letter is a few mm higher than t'other, 'specially at the areas where they intersect. I reckon if you tried it out on some scrap pine and did a very rough 'lash up' you'd see what I was on about...it would give a sort of a 3D dimension to the ends and would look rather 8-) 8-) - Rob

Edit: I'd suggest that the 'A' could be made a tad lower than the 'V'
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Jan 2022, 20:16

If I'd have got my doigt out last year and got the component parts of my CNC router machine then, it could be ready by now and I might have been able to carve the V & A ends with it. After all, I still have the original file.

But, now…..it could be years before I finish this wiring. :)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Pinch » 16 Jan 2022, 20:38

Great start Andy! Looks very good.

I totally agree with Roberto - a wee bit of relief carving is definitely the way to go matey! 8-) :D

In fact, with the size of your legs, you could quite comfortably do the work with a block plane, maybe a spokeshave and then some paring work with chisels - a bit like the plaque in you rather lovely settle. :eusa-whistle:

143a.jpg
(73.63 KiB)

I know the above plaque was one-sided and is slightly different to your legs, but you could easily implement for both sides. Time consuming, but so worth the effort.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:

:text-bravo:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Andyp » 16 Jan 2022, 20:39

Malc2098 wrote:If I'd have got my doigt out last year and got the component parts of my CNC router machine then, it could be ready by now and I might have been able to carve the V & A ends with it. After all, I still have the original file.

Do you really think I will have this finished any sooner :)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Jan 2022, 21:12

Andyp wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:If I'd have got my doigt out last year and got the component parts of my CNC router machine then, it could be ready by now and I might have been able to carve the V & A ends with it. After all, I still have the original file.

Do you really think I will have this finished any sooner :)

:lol:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Cabinetman » 17 Jan 2022, 01:18

Pinch wrote:Great start Andy! Looks very good.

I totally agree with Roberto - a wee bit of relief carving is definitely the way to go matey! 8-) :D

In fact, with the size of your legs, you could quite comfortably do the work with a block plane, maybe a spokeshave and then some paring work with chisels - a bit like the plaque in you rather lovely settle. :eusa-whistle:

143a.jpg

I know the above plaque was one-sided and is slightly different to your legs, but you could easily implement for both sides. Time consuming, but so worth the effort.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Pinch, that is VERY beautiful, superb workmanship. Ian
:text-bravo:
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Andyp » 17 Jan 2022, 08:09

Although posting stuff on here gives me an added incentive to get things done, by wishing to adapt a design executed so well by Pinch has set me up for an undoubted fail. It will never look that good.

I will however succumb to the collective pressure on here and have a go at “carving” that pine. Just don’t hold your breath it could take some time.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 17 Jan 2022, 08:17

Andyp wrote:Although posting stuff on here gives me an added incentive to get things done, by wishing to adapt a design executed so well by Pinch has set me up for an undoubted fail. It will never look that good.

I will however succumb to the collective pressure on here and have a go at “carving” that pine. Just don’t hold your breath it could take some time.

Excellent Andy. I think you'll find it easier than you imagine and it doesn't matter with the 'lash up' if the fit n'finish isn't perfick, it's the overall impression that your after - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 17 Jan 2022, 08:42

Andy, have you by any chance got one of those old Bosch power chisels ? If so then get yourself some Flexcut chisels.

Or if you can wait then you can borrow mine. I hadn't used it for over seven years until the staircase and can't envisage using it in anger in the foreseeable future. Mind you, God alone knows what hoops we'll have to go through now thanks to Brexit - the 'gift that keeps on giving'.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 17 Jan 2022, 12:49

RogerS wrote:Andy, have you by any chance got one of those old Bosch power chisels ? If so then get yourself some Flexcut chisels.

Or if you can wait then you can borrow mine. I hadn't used it for over seven years until the staircase and can't envisage using it in anger in the foreseeable future. Mind you, God alone knows what hoops we'll have to go through now thanks to Brexit - the 'gift that keeps on giving'.

Hi Roger, no, I do not have a power chisel and while I really do appreciate the offer it seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut. A nut that I am not overly excited to crack in the first place.

I do have some carving chisels (actually belonging to the missus) so will give it a go on that pine. Although I am sure oak may well be easier to shape.

I am going to take a leaf out of Pinch’s book and buy the oak PAR from British Hardwoods who supplied the timber for the settle.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 17 Jan 2022, 13:02

Andyp wrote:
I do have some carving chisels (actually belonging to the missus) so will give it a go on that pine. Although I am sure oak may well be easier to shape.

Easy enough on pine (and oak) provided you make sure your gouges etc are über sharp. I use the leather wheels on my Tormek (+ honing paste of some denomination) but a leather strop (for the outside bevel) and a oddment of folded leather for the inside will work just as well - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Windows » 02 Feb 2022, 10:00

If you do decide to go with the overlap grooves instead of carving, you’d get a weave effect if you changed half of the lines you drew in the previous photo. As you drew it, you had one letter above the other, but it’s no more work to have them weave by alternating the grooves at each junction.
Windows
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 02 Feb 2022, 12:59

Windows wrote:If you do decide to go with the overlap grooves instead of carving, you’d get a weave effect if you changed half of the lines you drew in the previous photo. As you drew it, you had one letter above the other, but it’s no more work to have them weave by alternating the grooves at each junction.

:eusa-think: I haven't yet placed gouge on wood on those prototypes, I could do one of each. I am looking forward to this about as much as a turkey looks forward to Christmas. But I will have a go.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Next

Return to Projects & WIP