It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:45

It’s getting closer

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: It’s getting closer

Postby Craig Salisbury » 30 Dec 2021, 12:27

Popping by to say hello and good morning......now i'll be off
- I am not grumpy, im pragmatic
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Name: Craig Salisbury

Postby RogerM » 31 Dec 2021, 00:10

Yet more sensationalist false news from the BBC tonight. "332 new deaths from Covid". They could have gone on to say that includes all Covid deaths since Xmas Eve, but neglected to add that essential qualifying piece of information.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Andyp » 31 Dec 2021, 07:42

I’m still waiting for any news organisation to quantify number of positive tests as a percentage of total number of tests taken.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 31 Dec 2021, 09:14

It was 50% a couple of days ago.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 31 Dec 2021, 09:53

Mike G wrote:It was 50% a couple of days ago.
\

Where did you find that Mike and how does it compare to the percentage tested say 1 year ago?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby novocaine » 31 Dec 2021, 10:29

They can only know that for pcr tests. A large number of the positive tests include lateral flow tests. What im hoping is the system is smart enough to recognise multiple tests for an individual (lat then pcr).

A large percentage of negative lateral flow tests aren't recorded apparantly.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Phil » 31 Dec 2021, 12:16

Some information on where we are ....................

“THURSDAY 30 DECEMBER 2021

CABINET APPROVES CHANGES TO COVID-19 REGULATIONS

A special Cabinet meeting held earlier today, 30 December 2021, has approved several changes to the Adjusted Alert Level 1 COVID-19 regulations.

This follows meetings of the National Coronavirus Command Council (NCCC) and the President’s Coordinating Council (PCC), which received updates on the management of the current 4th wave of COVID-19 in South Africa, which is mainly driven by the Omicron variant.

COVID-19 Update

The information gathered through the system used by the Department of Health has reported a 29.7% decrease in the number of new cases detected in the week ending 25 December 2021 (89,781), compared to the number of new cases detected in the previous week (127,753).

All indicators suggest the country may have passed the peak of the fourth wave at a national level.

Cases declined in all provinces except the Western Cape and Eastern Cape, which recorded increases of 14% and 18%, respectively. There has been a decline in hospital admissions in all provinces except the Western Cape.

While the Omicron variant is highly transmissible, there has been lower rates of hospitalisation than in previous waves. This means that the country has a spare capacity for admission of patients even for routine health services. There is a marginal increase in the number of deaths in all the provinces.

Changes to COVID-19 regulations

Based on the trajectory of the pandemic, the levels of vaccination in the country and the available capacity within the health sector, Cabinet has decided to make the following changes to Adjusted Alert Level 1 with immediate effect:

- The curfew will be lifted. There will therefore be no restrictions on the hours of movement of people.

- Gatherings are restricted to no more than 1 000 people indoors and no more than 2 000 people outdoors. Where the venue is too small to accommodate these numbers with appropriate social distancing, then no more than 50 per cent of the capacity of the venue may be used. All other restrictions remain in place.

The risk of increase in infections is still high given the high transmissibility of the Omicron variant. Government therefore calls on all organisers of these gatherings to ensure that all health protocols are observed at all times and that all attendees are encouraged to be vaccinated.

- Alcohol establishments that have licences to operate beyond 23h00 will revert back to full licence conditions.

The NCCC will continue to closely monitor the situation and will make further adjustments as necessary, particularly if pressure on health facilities increases.

The wearing of masks in public places is still mandatory, and failure to wear a mask when required remains a criminal offence.

South Africans are urged to continue observing basic health protocols to prevent the transmission of the virus.

Vaccination remains the best defence against severe illness, hospitalisation, and death from COVID-19. All people in South Africa who have not yet done so are encouraged to vaccinated as soon as possible. This includes people who are eligible for booster shots.

Parents are reminded to support their children aged 12 years and older to use this opportunity to vaccinate before schools open. This will avoid learners losing school time because of testing positive or as a result of contact with people infected with COVID-19.

Government wishes to commend all South Africans who have observed the health regulations and protocols over the festive season. Government urges everyone to continue to act cautiously and responsibly over the new year and for the remainder of the holiday season.

ISSUED BY MINISTER IN THE PRESIDENCY MONDLI GUNGUBELE”
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby TrimTheKing » 31 Dec 2021, 16:07

It’s come close to Trimble Towers today… No NYE gathering at my friends for me.

Test one on the left was very faint, but there, so I did another an hour later.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 31 Dec 2021, 16:46

TrimTheKing wrote:It’s come close to Trimble Towers today… No NYE gathering at my friends for me.

Test one on the left was very faint, but there, so I did another an hour later.

Thats a bummer!
Still you will be much better off working on the forum software update than getting pi88ed with mates!

At least you should not have to isolate for long now.
My son was tested positive something like Tuesday before Xmas. We were all asked to do regular tests until boxing day. SWMBO and I steadfastly negative and David positive each day but he has been free to mingle from last Monday so "they" must be pretty certain that the infectious phase is over after those few days. None of us had symptoms throughout.
Tomorrow will be our first day out (self imposed since 21st Dec just in case) to a local family NYD dinner and rescheduled Xmas gift exchange.

Hope you and yours are symptom free.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 31 Dec 2021, 16:49

Hope that is all it is Mark and no real symptoms.
Happy New Year :obscene-drinkingbuddies: :obscene-drinkingcheers:

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 31 Dec 2021, 16:52

Bad luck, Mark.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 31 Dec 2021, 16:55

Andyp wrote:Hope that is all it is Mark and no real symptoms.
Happy New Year :obscene-drinkingbuddies: :obscene-drinkingcheers:

...and from me! :obscene-drinkingcheers: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Craig Salisbury » 31 Dec 2021, 16:55

Good luck chap, have you thought about trying to kill the infection with alcohol?
- I am not grumpy, im pragmatic
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Name: Craig Salisbury

Postby Malc2098 » 31 Dec 2021, 17:01

Bloomin' 'eck! Rough timing.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerM » 31 Dec 2021, 18:11

What a bummer. Here's another one hoping that the symptoms are non existent or at worse, minimal. I prescribe Whiskey Mack in large doses as required!
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby novocaine » 31 Dec 2021, 18:19

Bugger.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby TrimTheKing » 31 Dec 2021, 18:25

Knew something wasn’t right last night (I had tested clear yesterday afternoon though). Tickle in my throat, snotty nose and shout 7pm I got a sharp pain/headache right in the middle of my head.

I never get headaches other than hangovers so knew it wasn’t right.

Tested this morning and nothing showed initially, then Mrs T came back from shops and did her then I picked mine up again just to check and could see the faintest of lines. Did the one on the right and was more pronounced.

Mate of mine just been to pick up a pack of tests from us as they’ve run out (I fully anti-bacced them before handing over) and we had a few beers in the garden, stood 20 feet apart, so I’ve had my NYE interaction now.

Currently a very slight discomfort in the throat, slightly snotty nose and the merest of headaches. I’m triple jabbed so fingers crossed this is as bad as it gets but I’ll keep you posted.

Just making some tacos for tea and will have a few more beers to make the most.

All the best chaps and chapesses.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Blackswanwood » 31 Dec 2021, 19:15

I wish you a speedy recovery Mark. One of our daughters has tested positive today - she has no symptoms but is feeling a bit sorry for herself!
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby droogs » 01 Jan 2022, 14:35

My condolences, I hope the symptoms are mild for you. Don't forget to take your staff with the bell on if you do have to go out.
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby TrimTheKing » 01 Jan 2022, 14:44

droogs wrote:My condolences, I hope the symptoms are mild for you. Don't forget to take your staff with the bell on if you do have to go out.

:)

Day 2 symptoms, woke with banging ‘hangover’ style headache (disappointing given I’d drunk no alcohol through the night), my throat feeling like I’d finished each beer then chomped and swallowed the pint glass each time, and a snot factory for a nose.

Headache is subsiding with a couple of paracetamol and a beroca, throat is better after getting liquid down it so now it’s just a streaming nose and feeling generally ‘meh’. If this is as bad as it gets then I’ll be happy.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Jan 2022, 14:56

Tip for everyone, we ran out of the nose only testing kits and just have the nose & throat ones. For my first two positive tests I did nose and throat, but once I knew it was definite for the third one I tested to see whether just nose worked. It did.

I've since tested yesterday and today doing just nose and both still showing as positive.

So for any of you who struggle with gag reflex issues (Roger) then, while not a scientific guarantee, my experiment shows that just nose works fine with the nose/throat tests.

I'll keep testing daily to see how it goes. Symptoms wise the headache has almost gone, just a very dull feeling which I would associate with a normal cold. Sore throat has gone and just left with a runny nose.

Thankfully I've not had any of the lethargy that my sister and her husband have had since they got it just before Christmas. Whether I've got the same version or not I don't know but I haven't been near her in weeks so I didn't get it from her.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 02 Jan 2022, 15:03

Good to know that the nasal ones do work.
We have been dutifully doing nasal testing but with only negative results.
David had a positive PCR test before Xmas but none of us had any symptoms and combining that with negative lateral flow nasal tests had raised a doubt in our minds on nasal test efficacy.

I hope you continue to improve with manageable symptoms.

Cheers
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 02 Jan 2022, 15:07

Good to hear Mark.

Our local practice nurse almost gave up trying to do a nasal swab on me. I seem to VERY sensitive up there. Throat swabs I've no issue with.
Hopefully by the time we travel next the need for tests would have passed again.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Jan 2022, 15:08

Just to be clear Bob, I am using the nose & throat tests, but only putting them in my nose.

I tested negative the day before using one of the specific nasal only tests, but then positive the following day using nose/throat and doing both elements.

It's only since testing positive that I've been using the nose/throat tests but only doing the nose part. I'm now 100% conclusive across three tests. Will be interesting to see when I finally stop showing as positive, then I will do another one in both nose & throat and see what that shows...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Jan 2022, 15:09

Andyp wrote:Good to hear Mark.

Our local practice nurse almost gave up trying to do a nasal swab on me. I seem to VERY sensitive up there. Throat swabs I've no issue with.
Hopefully by the time we travel next the need for tests would have passed again.

Weird how we're all different in that isn't it! I'm generally okay with the throat but if I hit the wrong place then my gag reflex is strong. I'm absolutely fine up the nose, but it does say only go an inch, and my hooter is so large that an inch is nowhere near getting up to the top! :lol:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat