It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:50

In a previous life, I was Chakka Khan, no wait...

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

In a previous life, I was Chakka Khan, no wait...

Postby droogs » 24 May 2021, 17:55

It must have been Ghengis Khan followed by Charlamagne and then Napoleon. Why else would I have had a single glass of toffeeapple cider on Saturday to celebrate the ripping out and replacement of my collapse flooring joists and floors and kitchen cabinets and the process of work to make new begin, to survive my lymphoma and starting to get my Haemachromatosis under control. yay

This morning wake up with a sore foot. go see a mna about making a new garage door for him and by half ten can hardly walk. Pain increases and take mega pain killers and they do nothing. Get an emergency at 5pm and find out I have flaming Gout!!!! From 1 glass of kiddy cider AAAAAAAARRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Re: In a previous life, I was Chakka Khan, no wait...

Postby Mike G » 24 May 2021, 18:07

Alan, after what you've been through this will be trivial. Gout is easily controlled these days.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby NickM » 24 May 2021, 18:20

Oh no, I've heard it can be very painful. Given the amount of rain we've had recently, are you sure it's not trench foot?

I hope it abates and that you manage to keep it under control (whilst still being to enjoy the odd glass of cider from time to time of course!).
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 24 May 2021, 18:28

We always used to say in the pub that it was obvious who had had gout - they were the ones who didn't laugh when someone came in and said they'd got it. I woke up with it for a twenty fifth birthday present, I've taken allopurinol for nearly forty two years. Drink gallons of water and lay off salt.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby Phil Pascoe » 24 May 2021, 18:30

One of the good things about having no feet, I suppose - no ankles to get gout in. :lol:
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Postby Blackswanwood » 24 May 2021, 19:35

That’s a bit of a shocker that it can be brought on like that. I’d always (incorrectly obviously) assumed that it took years of eating cheese and drinking port.

I hope it’s quickly under control.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby droogs » 24 May 2021, 20:42

the cheese port and venison were in the 80s and early 90s, I haven't had a drink in over 2 years, so really enjoyed the cider though, tasted sooooo nice. But I think for me it is the HCT which having wrecked my liver over my whole life, with at one point just under 40% function is still not ready for any booze. Ho hum, will I ever get to open my 25 year old highland park and supp.

The doc basically said it was the glass of cider that did it. Tablets he gave me are awesome, still sore but I,m not writhing on the ceiling anymore and the dog isn't to scared to come for a hug lol
droogs
Old Oak

Postby Phil Pascoe » 25 May 2021, 07:32

Cider used to trigger mine, but it was several litres of Triple Vintage, not one glass. :lol:
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Postby droogs » 25 May 2021, 09:45

@Phil Pascoe, much thanks for the advice, will do
droogs
Old Oak

Postby Phil Pascoe » 25 May 2021, 11:14

You've probably been given anti inflammatories now, but if you are prescribed allopurinol afterwards, take it all the time. Don't wait until the beginning of an attack to start taking it, it makes the attack worse than it would have been without it.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Postby HappyHacker » 25 May 2021, 12:06

As a long term sufferer I sympathise with you. Taking the pills (Allopurinol) works for me and it is years since I have had an attack and I do eat cheese and drink the odd cider. I know why sufferers do not laugh when someone says they have it: Because it's not funny, it's agonisingly painful.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Phil Pascoe » 25 May 2021, 12:45

I used to get it in my big toes. And ankles. And knees. If you think it's painful in your toe, wait til you get it in the knees. :eusa-doh:
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Postby Lurker » 25 May 2021, 16:25

The old fashioned remedy was eating couch grass, not a clue if it works, but it would be nice if this weed has some use.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby fezman » 25 May 2021, 18:13

Hi All,
I didn't think my first post would be about the dreaded Gout. Been lurking here for a while and post on the other place too.

Droogs you have my sympathies, I've had it about 8 years now. Get it in both ankles and the pain is off the chart.

I take allupurinol too. But the one thing that ALWAYS works for me is montmorency cherries. I found this out through an article https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/research/research-impact-at-northumbria/health-impact/studies-on-cherry-juice-unravel-a-multitude-of-health-benefits/

I tried the concentrate and it worked ok-ish. What does work for me are the dried ones from Costco. https://www.costco.co.uk/Grocery-Household/Food-Cupboard/Home-Baking/Kirkland-Signature-Whole-Dried-Cherries-567g/p/997394. Unfortunately they are in short supply at the minute, but when they do come back, I would really recommend them.

Ian
fezman
New Shoots

Name:

Postby droogs » 25 May 2021, 19:58

Thanks for the advice guys. SWMBO has already been checking things out and came back last night with a big punnet of cherries. Been so long since I had any I forgot about the stone :eusa-doh:
droogs
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 25 May 2021, 21:31

droogs wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. SWMBO has already been checking things out and came back last night with a big punnet of cherries. Been so long since I had any I forgot about the stone :eusa-doh:

When's the dentist appointment ? ;)
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby droogs » 26 May 2021, 09:54

Not needed but was a surprise
droogs
Old Oak

Postby Phil Pascoe » 26 May 2021, 11:13

I asked my GP if I should avoid sardines because they were bad for my gout, or eat loads of them because they were good for my high blood pressure ... :lol:
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Postby Woodbloke » 26 May 2021, 14:05

Phil Pascoe wrote:... good for my high blood pressure ... :lol:

I havre a cocktail of meds to keep that one under control; took the doc about three months to find the right combination, but apparently meds don’t work for all patients - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 26 May 2021, 14:45

I doubt many will beat my daily cocktail - aspirin, levothyroxine, dapaglaflozin, lisinopril, gliclazide, atorvastatin, allopurinol, sukkarto, meloxicam, tamsulosin, amlodipine and meloxicam. :eusa-doh:
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Postby droogs » 26 May 2021, 15:01

Beat it, I cant even pronounce it when reading without moving my lips :shock:

mind you it does look a bit like the ingredients list for a McChicken Nugget
droogs
Old Oak

Postby Woodbloke » 28 May 2021, 11:41

Phil Pascoe wrote:I doubt many will beat my daily cocktail - aspirin, levothyroxine, dapaglaflozin, lisinopril, gliclazide, atorvastatin, allopurinol, sukkarto, meloxicam, tamsulosin, amlodipine and meloxicam. :eusa-doh:

The statin med (atorvastatin) I used to take but it caused insomnia, which I still suffer from occasionally and I don’t think it’s going to clear up entirely. High cholesterol can be controlled through diet but cutting out most sat fat (which usually means dairy) ain’t a lot of fun - Rob

Edit - just ordered some new BP meds online using the Echo system from Lloyd’s pharmacy...brilliant!
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby droogs » 28 May 2021, 13:11

Well, i am up and about, cant run for the bus or the toilet :lol: but am gonna' head to the workshops and see what I can do
droogs
Old Oak

Postby Chris101 » 28 May 2021, 18:07

Best wishes Droogs. Hope you are getting back up to speed steadily mate.
Chris101
Sapling

Name:

Postby Phil » 29 May 2021, 08:15

Did not suffer from gout, drank Arthrexin for years which suppressed it. It also f----ked up my kidneys. Got a large 'knob' on the left big toe which was a result of gout! :oops:
This has now decreased in size with the taking of meds.

Puricos 200mg daily
Colchicine 1 tab on Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Also added to this is Trepiline, Altosec, Bezalip, Aspovar, Bilocor .............. :shock:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat