It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:44

Mosquito deterrent

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Mosquito deterrent

Postby Lurker » 22 Jul 2021, 06:07

I know some of you get this problem year round and probably know what works, so would welcome some advice.
Her majesty and I have been bitten quite a lot in the past two evenings as we leave open our bifold door but have the tv and light on in the lounge.
We have citronella candles in the garden but I don’t like flames indoors.
Did ultrasonic deterrents work.

I remember from foreign holidays we used to use a plug in thingy with a chemical pad, but obviously would like to avoid these without further investigation as to the chemicals.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Mosquito deterrent

Postby AndyT » 22 Jul 2021, 07:15

Avon Skin so Soft spray works, in my experience. The Avon website just says it makes your skin lovely, but plenty of other sellers list its insect deterrent properties as what makes it useful. Cheap and widely available.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Philly » 22 Jul 2021, 09:01

I do a lot of camping/hiking and the bugs love me - the feeling is not mutual... :lol:

I use two approaches. First is wiping something on. I've found most repellents to be a bit hit and miss or just plain nasty (yes, I'm talking about you DEET!). I now use Smidge, been getting great results with this against most flying bugs. Not unpleasant to use, smells kinda nice and just works.

Second thing I use is mosquito coils. They work pretty well but depends on wind direction. I've recently got hold of a Thermacell - they do quite a few different models but basically it is a small hand held device which has a small gas bottle to power it and you slide in tabs of their repellent. No nasty smells and within five minutes I get a nice safe zone around me. You get about four to five hours on a tablet so not expensive to use when you think of the misery of being eaten alive!

These two things combined have made life a real joy outdoors in the warmer months, hopefully this will be a help for you?
Philly :D
Philly
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Robert » 22 Jul 2021, 09:19

Not been bothered by mozzies yet this year but I've read that the catnip plant is a strong deterrent and as we have a plant in a pot I shall try it out when the time comes. Assuming our cat hasn't chewed it back to its roots again that is.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Lurker » 22 Jul 2021, 09:30

Having lived in the far north of Scotland I think I have body spray repellents cracked.
What I wanted was something in the house to keep the things at bay.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 22 Jul 2021, 09:35

Philly wrote:I do a lot of camping/hiking and the bugs love me - the feeling is not mutual... :lol:

I use two approaches. First is wiping something on. I've found most repellents to be a bit hit and miss or just plain nasty (yes, I'm talking about you DEET!). I now use Smidge, been getting great results with this against most flying bugs. Not unpleasant to use, smells kinda nice and just works.

Second thing I use is mosquito coils. They work pretty well but depends on wind direction. I've recently got hold of a Thermacell - they do quite a few different models but basically it is a small hand held device which has a small gas bottle to power it and you slide in tabs of their repellent. No nasty smells and within five minutes I get a nice safe zone around me. You get about four to five hours on a tablet so not expensive to use when you think of the misery of being eaten alive!

These two things combined have made life a real joy outdoors in the warmer months, hopefully this will be a help for you?
Philly :D

That looks interesting, I guess it's a bit pricey because it needs a portable power source.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 22 Jul 2021, 09:38

Robert wrote:Not been bothered by mozzies yet this year but I've read that the catnip plant is a strong deterrent and as we have a plant in a pot I shall try it out when the time comes. Assuming our cat hasn't chewed it back to its roots again that is.

I'll bear that in mind as I quite like the smell of catnip and I think I have some seeds somewhere.
But I need a quicker solution.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Philly » 22 Jul 2021, 09:52

Lurker wrote:That looks interesting, I guess it's a bit pricey because it needs a portable power source.

They do a few different models. I meant to add that the cheap plugin ones you see on Ebay use the same type of tablets - I've been trying some out in my thermacell and they work pretty much as well as the originals. So worth trying one of the plug in ones as they definitely work and I've not noticed any nasty chemical smells or side effects.
Cheers
Phil
Philly
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Lurker » 22 Jul 2021, 10:21

Sounds like I am heading towards a plug in.
Next issue is a decent one where I don’t need to worry about the plug going up in flames.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 22 Jul 2021, 14:40

Andy got it right. Avon Skin-so-Soft is the only thing I know of which will keep tsetse flies at bay, midges at arms length, and mosquitoes away. And it is pleasant to use. The hard boys of the SAS use it in jungle warfare.......you can just picture them as they set off to go wading neck deep through a swamp slathering themselves in a women's beauty product. :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Philly » 22 Jul 2021, 14:48

Mike G wrote:Andy got it right. Avon Skin-so-Soft is the only thing I know of which will keep tsetse flies at bay, midges at arms length, and mosquitoes away. And it is pleasant to use. The hard boys of the SAS use it in jungle warfare.......you can just picture them as they set off to go wading neck deep through a swamp slathering themselves in a women's beauty product. :lol:

You have to watch with the Avon stuff - they changed the recipe and it's not the same formulation as the original. It looks the same but reports are that it doesn't work as well any more. I was fortunate to buy some of the original stuff from an Avon seller who was shifting old stock at a car boot and she confirmed this.
Philly
New Shoots

Name:

Postby novocaine » 22 Jul 2021, 14:51

I take my wife with me.
the little buggers love her rich blood so much that the leave my less refined claret alone. :lol:
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Lurker » 22 Jul 2021, 14:53

Mike G wrote:Andy got it right. Avon Skin-so-Soft is the only thing I know of which will keep tsetse flies at bay, midges at arms length, and mosquitoes away. And it is pleasant to use. The hard boys of the SAS use it in jungle warfare.......you can just picture them as they set off to go wading neck deep through a swamp slathering themselves in a women's beauty product. :lol:

The heat must be affecting your comprehension ability :D
..... or You didn’t read my replies above, did you :eusa-naughty:

The Avon lady (ding dong) has already called (months ago!)
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 22 Jul 2021, 14:55

novocaine wrote:I take my wife with me.
the little buggers love her rich blood so much that the leave my less refined claret alone. :lol:

Happens here too, but her demanding that I come up with a solution is almost as irritating as the mozzies :D
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 22 Jul 2021, 15:04

Lurker wrote:
novocaine wrote:I take my wife with me.

Happens here too, but her demanding that I come up with a solution is almost as irritating as the mozzies :D

I could make suggestions as to a solution, but my wife might read it. :text-lol:

when we worked in the less salubrious parts of the world (Nigeria, Singapore, Kazakhstan) where Mozzies are huge and come armed to the teeth with all their mates (I think of them like Scousers, they always turn up when you don't want them and they always come with friends) we used citronella oil burners. there was an electrical diffuser for it but I have no idea if they are available here.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Lurker » 22 Jul 2021, 15:22

I was leaning towards citronella, but then I read a research article in Science (American magazine ), which reckoned that it was next to no good.
So..... your positives are were the sort of thing that I was seeking.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 22 Jul 2021, 15:34

Citronella does work, but only if they are placed so that the fumes block the entrance or person.
The hot fumes only rise so theres no point having them 5 ft in the air on sticks or on window sills, the insects fly underneath and never know theyre there.
Put them on the floor, around you or across the opening. If its a year round problem, install fly screens. We have them on every window and some doors. Very discreet sliding panels.
If I get bothered by flying insects I use AUTAN spray on my legs and back. DO NOT breathe the stuff. :eusa-naughty:
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 22 Jul 2021, 17:18

Thanks Bob, that makes sense.
I can put them just outside the bifold doors, we currently have a sun sail above and outside these.

I think fly screens are a bit of over kill. It’s due to rain all weekend and then it will soon be winter :D
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 22 Jul 2021, 17:37

Just outside Larnaca airport, there are extensive salt flats that are wet all winter with flamingos in residence. Once summer comes and the salt flats dry out the flamingos migrate and the mosquitos are legendary. people who live there dont dare walk around with just shorts on :eusa-naughty:
I dont live there. :eusa-dance: :eusa-dance: :eusa-dance: :lol: 8-)
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 22 Jul 2021, 18:10

teeny tiny shot gun?
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 22 Jul 2021, 19:59

Philly wrote:

You have to watch with the Avon stuff - they changed the recipe and it's not the same formulation as the original. It looks the same but reports are that it doesn't work as well any more. I was fortunate to buy some of the original stuff from an Avon seller who was shifting old stock at a car boot and she confirmed this.

Oldest sales trick in the book. How about the alternative. The new stuff is much more effective than this old stock which is why I am at this boot fair.
If it works than great.
Can Avon stuff only be brought from the Avon sales people, door to door?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 22 Jul 2021, 21:31

Mike G wrote:..... The hard boys of the SAS use it in jungle warfare.........

I think you will find that's an urban myth.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Philly » 22 Jul 2021, 22:27

The Marines use it on guard duty in Scotland, that's where it got the reputation from. Not sales talk, there's lots on military forums about how it has changed and now doesn't work nearly as good. But if it works for you, great! Personally I find the oil based repellents always end up getting into my eyes, which is why I was so happy to find Smidge (it soaks in).
Philly
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Jul 2021, 06:59

RogerS wrote:

It is, I recollect I had it on ‘good authority’ - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 23 Jul 2021, 07:05

Woodbloke wrote:
RogerS wrote:

It is, I recollect I had it on ‘good authority’ - Rob

All I could find was reference to the Marines. I would have thought that it was against the 'hard man' ethos of the SAS. All the web references refer to 'extensive web research' but none give any actual source for this story.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat