It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:17

Anyone having trouble with Three ?

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Anyone having trouble with Three ?

Postby RogerS » 23 Jul 2021, 17:10

Just recently I've been missing incoming calls. No indication on my phone. People say that it goes straight to answerphone or they get a message saying that I am on a call (when I'm not) and then it goes to answerphone.

Where I am the reception post their 5G 'downgrade' has got worse and so most calls are via wi-fi calling but still the same problem. While on a support chat session, she commented that wi-fi calls would depend on the network. I asked her whose...Three or mine..and she ducked the question.

I think they have network saturation issues. I know that the mobile data on my local mast is usually at 100% which makes audio streaming useless. I think their core network is having problems. I found that they had changed my voicemail delay to only 5 seconds. Down from my original setting of 30 seconds. That makes sense if they are having saturation problems.

So anyone else having problems ? Their customer service is still excellent.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Anyone having trouble with Three ?

Postby AJB Temple » 23 Jul 2021, 18:33

Surely excellent customer service means providing a reliable network, not fast acknowledgement that it is sub par.

Hong Kong owned business, now under effective Chinese control.....you can see where this is going. We unfortunately use 3 for our gate automation system. I keep meaning to switch it away from them.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 23 Jul 2021, 18:36

All mobile providers have technical issues from time to time. I used to be with Vodafone. Their customer service is so dire I nearly lost the will to live. They lie. They lie again. They keep on lying. Never again.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 23 Jul 2021, 18:40

I agree re Vodafone.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 23 Jul 2021, 20:33

I’ve never directly used the major networks and never had any issues with customer services.

I used to be with Giffgaff using o2 no operational issues but went away from them when they put up their prices adding more mins/data/text than I could possibly use

Now I use 1p mobile using EE. £30 per year for more than I can possibly use and no tech issues. I always buy my phones outright so no credit charges.
Swmbo uses ASDA who have recently changed from O2 to vodaphone. No issues but she is an extremely low user hardly testing the service.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 23 Jul 2021, 21:57

9fingers wrote:I’ve never directly used the major networks and never had any issues with customer services.

I used to be with Giffgaff using o2 no operational issues but went away from them when they put up their prices adding more mins/data/text than I could possibly use

Now I use 1p mobile using EE. £30 per year for more than I can possibly use and no tech issues. I always buy my phones outright so no credit charges.
Swmbo uses ASDA who have recently changed from O2 to vodaphone. No issues but she is an extremely low user hardly testing the service.

Bob

We're not comparing apples with apples. Bob. 1p is a PAYG. Chances are you don't use the mobile network as much as either I or Adrian do.

My OP is also about calls coming IN.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby HappyHacker » 23 Jul 2021, 22:52

I use Three but very little mobile network usage these days. I have not noticed any problems locally, Cheshire and for a recent week Staffordshire. Everyone I know using other networks has significant issue with every supplier at some time. When i chose Three a good few years ago it had been recommended by a friend heavily involved with a variety of providers and their networks as having one of the best supporting network architectures and performance. I have no idea if that is still the case.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby RogerS » 24 Jul 2021, 04:33

I found this article albeit a year old

https://www.lightreading.com/5g/three-u ... -id/765754
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Blackswanwood » 24 Jul 2021, 06:52

My phone is on a corporate arrangement with Vodafone and as I live in a bit of a black spot used to use a Sure Signal which they are withdrawing and so now use WiFi calling. Since this change I have exactly the same issue that you describe Roger. Wherever possible I use the call function in WhatsApp.

Ironically my son is on Three and gets a better signal.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby Doug » 24 Jul 2021, 08:02

I had similar problems with Orange years ago at home plus calls would just drop out, I moved to giffgaff 3 years ago & have had no such problems, it impressed me that they got in touch when my usage dropped & they suggested a cheaper tariff, in 20 years Orange never did that.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 24 Jul 2021, 08:39

Many thanks to all.

I've ordered a PAYG SIM from o2 to try out. It will be interesting to see if there is any improvement.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 24 Jul 2021, 11:00

We’re in a bad mobile reception area irrespective of network. I’m with Three PAYG and haven’t had any issues since they introduced WiFi calling.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 24 Jul 2021, 13:47

Thanks for the heads ups on Wi-FI calling.
I've just enabled it on my phone preferences and despite being with a 3rd party PAYG (1P mobile) it appears to work.
When in wifi range, the top left of the screen says EE wIFi Call instead of 1p which comes up when out of wifi range.

Result!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 27 Jul 2021, 14:46

Many thanks for all your suggestions. I got an O2 PAYG SIM to check out coverage. Excellent. Even get 4G. Three admit that they have issues and offered a pittance. So I told them to stuff it and cancel my contract. I've got 13 months to go and they tried the old Exit Fee malarkey. So I politely also told them whereto stuff that. Bottom line, they've waived the charges components of the exit fee ..about £130 and I've knocked them down to £69 for the phone. Since I can sell it on eBay for £200, I call that a result.

Incidentally it's worth noting that, for some reason or another, Three can only apply a recurring discount on your bill once within any contract period. At least that's what they say and I was pretty assertive..pushing up through the customer service levels.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 28 Jul 2021, 12:33

Well, that was fun while it lasted. O2 use Equifax for their credit reference check. I'm not known to them. No idea why not. Experian give me the top score but that matters little. Equifax get a zillion 1* bad reviews on Trustpilot.

Just ordered a SIM from EE and we'll see how that goes.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 28 Jul 2021, 13:43

No that landords are not allowed to charge any fees for both tenant find and credit referencing, I use Experian's free service, asking the tenant to register and send me the results. They seem very through.
As an test example I put myself through Experian so I could document the process for tenant referrals and scored far higher than Credit Karma who I regularly use to monitor my own credit history.

Listening and reading personal finance guru Martin Lewis is seems that different organisations do their credit referencing in various ways and not only using the "big names"

I've been surprised that neither Experian nor Credit Karma picked my company directorship and CK have not established a financial link to my wife through our main joint Nationwide bank account that we have held since mid 1980s
Despite this, my wife who has no credit history of her own and has not had any income since 1987 until her state pension started a few years ago has a pretty respectable CK score about 10% lower than mine and yet can't get a credit card for example because she has no significant income.
Not that she needs a CC as we have joint ones in my name.

Bottom line is that credit scoring and trying to understand various decisions is a minefield. Oh yes if you want credit products make sure you are in a degree of manageable debt.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 18 Aug 2021, 18:10

Doug wrote:I had similar problems with Orange years ago at home plus calls would just drop out, I moved to giffgaff 3 years ago & have had no such problems, it impressed me that they got in touch when my usage dropped & they suggested a cheaper tariff, in 20 years Orange never did that.

Thanks for the heads up on GiffGaff. I've joined them and so far am really pleased with the whole set-up. I like quirky.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat