It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:46

I know it's not cricket....but....

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

I know it's not cricket....but....

Postby Lons » 24 Jul 2021, 18:23

As someone who very rarely watches cricket because I find it soooooo slow I'm finding the 100 matches on at the minute very enjoyable, does that make me an unwashed heathen Michael sir?
I've even watched a couple of the ladies matches though I admit I prefer beach volleyball. :lol:
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Re: I know it's not cricket....but....

Postby Doug » 24 Jul 2021, 18:43

I prefer the test cricket but have to admit it’s been nice to get ball by ball on terrestrial tv, finally something worth having a television for.
As for the 100 itself it’s a bit of a lottery but quite exciting all the same & like you Bob I’ve watched the ladies & enjoyed that too.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 24 Jul 2021, 19:16

I too have enjoyed watching the hundred. International cricketers playing with some relative unknowns from the home nations. It has been dumbed down and jazzed up in some respects to try an attract a younger audience and hence more youngsters playing the game. Both of which could have been achieved with the existing formats of the game had they been on free to air TV.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 24 Jul 2021, 20:04

No. Just no......
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Blackswanwood » 24 Jul 2021, 20:44

I cannot make up my mind about the hundred. I don’t want to like it but keep finding myself watching it. Having been to a few IPL games I’d say it’s worth it for the experience but not to try and watch cricket.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby novocaine » 24 Jul 2021, 20:57

Can I sit in the sun for a day with a crate of something and some tasty sandwiches and watch a hundred? If the answer is no, then it's not cricket. It's good for media though,they can make Advert revenue without wasting a full week on 2 teams.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Raymedullary » 24 Jul 2021, 21:02

At least they now appear to focus on the game more than the cream tea! And are now a healthier bmi generally speaking.
Last edited by Raymedullary on 24 Jul 2021, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
Raymedullary
New Shoots

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 24 Jul 2021, 22:04

I watched some on TV and didn't think it worked. Excessive graphics and false excitement. I was not at all convinced that the professionals were taking it seriously.

The lead out women's version was much touted on R4 woman's hour this week. Mainly focussed on journalists asking why the women were being paid much less than the men.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lons » 24 Jul 2021, 22:45

I think not taking it seriously is probably part of it Adrian and the players certainly all have smiles on their faces though it's clear they haven't lost their competitive nature. I agree it's not cricket which is why I headed the thread as such but it is entertainment and there seems to be a large percentage of kids in the audience.
Certainly not for the purists but if it attracts youngsters and those heathens like me who wouldn't be watching otherwise I can't see how it can be a bad thing. I can see Mike shaking his head from here. :lol:

Not sure about the LED lights in the stumps and the razzmatazz which is too much like American baseball however.

We were involved in and sponsored an annual 2 day event held at the Gosforth (Newcastle) cricket ground in the eighties which had a similar atmosphere and just a fun event, organized on behalf of Callers Pegasus it attracted some of the big names though I don't think we ever gave Ian Botham any cash, he just came for the free beer and 5 star hotel food. :lol:
Last edited by Lons on 25 Jul 2021, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Lons
Old Oak

Postby Robert » 24 Jul 2021, 22:48

I'll watch cricket in any format so no problem with it being 100. I even watched some weird indoor format with bonuses if they hit targets on the walls :)

What is a problem with the 100 is the awful screen overlays up the sides and across the bottom. I have noticed they are turning the graphics off at times now so maybe it will get better.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Andyp » 25 Jul 2021, 06:49

I agree about the graphics Robert. Distracting and take up far too much of the screen.

What has the hundred got in terms of excitement that T20 hasn’t? 20 balls less, thats all. OK So the bowlers can bowl 5 or 10 balls in a row, does that really speed things up? Like you I am happy to watch it but I can’t quite see the point.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Doug » 25 Jul 2021, 07:04

Robert wrote:
What is a problem with the 100 is the awful screen overlays up the sides and across the bottom. I have noticed they are turning the graphics off at times now so maybe it will get better.

I have to admit I didn’t like those, I just figured it was how it is done these days, I’ve never seen Sky sports but imagined it to be similar to how they cover the twenty 20?

I believe the 100 was always about getting youngsters into the game both watching it & playing it, it’s alright folks being sniffy about it but without this sort of promotion of the game the other facets will suffer. Look at the West Indies, when I was a lad they were the team with tremendous players who’s names I still remember all that’s gone now as youngsters have opted for other more exciting sports with better financial gain, English cricket needs this if it’s not going to suffer a similar fate.

My only criticism is if they were serious about encouraging youngsters then all the matches should have been available free to view, we know exactly how well the up take of sport is after something like the Olympics is all over the television so I really think they’ve missed a trick there.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 25 Jul 2021, 07:22

It is all about the money Doug isn't it?
All of those sport federations that have sold their TV rights to Sky say the same thing. The extra money enables them too invest more in grass roots etc etc. Forgetting that all the money in the world is useless if the clubs cannot attract new players.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Doug » 25 Jul 2021, 08:57

I agree Andy, & I understand to a point but surely Sky now have enough cricket & if the aim of the 100 is to truly encourage youngsters & presumably it’s those who don’t have access to Sky sports that they are trying to engage with then they are shooting themselves in the foot.
As has been said it’s not that different to Twenty 20 so why give it Sky at all
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lons » 25 Jul 2021, 09:45

Doug wrote:I agree Andy, & I understand to a point but surely Sky now have enough cricket & if the aim of the 100 is to truly encourage youngsters & presumably it’s those who don’t have access to Sky sports that they are trying to engage with then they are shooting themselves in the foot.
As has been said it’s not that different to Twenty 20 so why give it Sky at all

It's definitely all about money as said and it doesn't matter how much revenue they get all of them will strive to outgrow and swamp the competition, there are huge financial rewards which is why BT, Amazon et al have dipped their toes in the water. I think all sport should be available on free to watch TV (maybe the BBC could afford more if it didn't pay people like Lineker all those £millions). Certainly all competitions involving national teams should be free to all.
There is another side to that of course as there are those who will scream and shout at more sport on TV as anyone who saw the thread over on the other side complaining about the Euros and Wimbledon will have noted.

I very grudgingly subscribe to Sky sports as it's the only way I can get decent selective access to F1, football and golf and to be fair to them they usually are pretty slick.
Lons
Old Oak

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat