It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:55

Kindle Sharpe!!

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Kindle Sharpe!!

Postby Woodbloke » 26 Jul 2021, 17:42

Being a big fan of Cornwell and Sharpe in particular, there’s a new one out; ‘Sharpe’s Assassin’ but I’m buggered if I’m paying 15 spondulicos for the Kindle version :evil: - Rob

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sharpes-Assass ... /ref=nodl_
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Kindle Sharpe!!

Postby Trevanion » 26 Jul 2021, 19:19

Well bloody hell, if you told me there was a new Sharpe book without that link I would've told you to pull the other one :lol:

£15 for something that exists in the ether, and can be taken from you at any time, I think I'll stick to physical items thank you!
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Gill » 26 Jul 2021, 20:51

Most of our novels come from charity shops.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby Cabinetman » 27 Jul 2021, 02:44

Funnily enough, just started to re-read the whole series about a week ago. Immensely pleasurable books.
Has everybody managed to read Sharpe’s Christmas ? I seem to remember it wasn’t on general release but a very good story.
I shall be waiting till September! Sorry Gill, I think you may have to wait a little while longer.
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Jul 2021, 07:10

Cabinetman wrote:Funnily enough, just started to re-read the whole series about a week ago. Immensely pleasurable books.
Has everybody managed to read Sharpe’s Christmas ? I seem to remember it wasn’t on general release but a very good story.

‘Sharpe’s Christmas’ was an excellent little short story, only released on Kindle I believe. When No.1 son was in his ‘yoof’ stage, he wouldn’t read anything so I gave him my paperback ‘Sharpe’s Tiger’ which he read in almost one sitting and then went on to devour all the rest inside a very short space of time.

I really do like the Sharpie books as they’re what I call ‘faction’, where our hero is interlaced in the true events of the Peninsular War. The TV series with SB (who was great as Sharpe) are disappointing in many respects, particularly the action scenes where there’s not nearly enough blood n’gore or indeed soldiers. The DoW, apart from one incident during the campaign, never lost an engagement, much to irritation of Napoleon Bonaparte. We could have done with Sir Arthur a few years later during WW2 :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 27 Jul 2021, 08:20

Faction??

Thoroughly recommend you pursue Matthew Shardlake via C.J. Sansom's excellent five novel series Rob.

Dark Fire, Sovereign, Revelation, Dissolution, Heartstone.

There may be more, but I haven't bought a book in the last couple of years - been otherwise occupied.

Cheers to all in Wilton.
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby TrimTheKing » 27 Jul 2021, 09:09

I like ‘Faction’. If you want another of a similar vein then have a look at the Flashman series.

Flashman was the bully in Tom Brown’s School Days but a different author (George Macdonald Fraser) took the character and wrote a whole series of books about him in different military conflicts through history. Really good books.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Blackswanwood » 27 Jul 2021, 10:39

Following the theme C.S. Forester's Hornblower and Patrick O'Brian's Jack Aubrey (Master and Commander) novels are a good read.

I'd give it a few months and then take another look at the Amazon price on Sharpe - I'd wager a shilling it's halved by Christmas.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Jul 2021, 11:06

Blackswanwood wrote:Following the theme C.S. Forester's Hornblower and Patrick O'Brian's Jack Aubrey (Master and Commander) novels are a good read.

I'd give it a few months and then take another look at the Amazon price on Sharpe - I'd wager a shilling it's halved by Christmas.

I’ve read all the ‘Hornblower’ books at least six times now and they never fail to excite particularly the battle between HMS Lydia and the ‘Natividad’ in the Pacific. CS Forester was a brilliant, perfectionist wordsmith and apparently only wrote about 2-300 words a day, but every one was perfect; it would be very difficult to find anyone who could give such a realistic account of life in the Georgian Royal Navy. Here’s the thing though; on HMS Renown, did mad Captain Sawyer fall or was he pushed?

During the war in NYC he met up for dinner with a very young, very tall RAF pilot by the name of Roald Dahl and Forester encouraged him to take up writing after hostilities; the rest, as they say, is history (or the BFG etc)
Regarding Sharpie, Cornwell had read all the Hornblower books and wanted to create a soldier during the Peninsular War who was the equal of Horatio Hornblower in the RN. The 50’s film and TV series were utter rubbish - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Blackswanwood » 27 Jul 2021, 11:40

Woodbloke wrote:
Here’s the thing though; on HMS Renown, did mad Captain Sawyer fall or was he pushed?

I think he fell - but whether he could have been grabbed and saved is another matter ...

I agree on the tv series being a shadow of the books. I watched them with my son (who at the time loved it) and used to annoy him by pointing out that post battle Hornblower's uniform and hair miraculously had no sign of wear and tear!
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby Cabinetman » 27 Jul 2021, 19:07

TrimTheKing wrote:I like ‘Faction’. If you want another of a similar vein then have a look at the Flashman series.

Flashman was the bully in Tom Brown’s School Days but a different author (George Macdonald Fraser) took the character and wrote a whole series of books about him in different military conflicts through history. Really good books.

Thoroughly agree about Flashman, but younger readers may find him a little un PC! Probably why us older ones think they’re a good read. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby MartinF » 28 Jul 2021, 10:38

As well as the Hornblower series, C.S. Forester wrote a couple of books about the Peninsular War, “Death to the French” and “The Gun”. The former was, reportedly, part of the inspiration for Bernard Cornwell’s Sharpe books as the hero was a rifleman in the 95th Rifles.

With regard to the Flashman books, George Macdonald Fraser wrote an account of his time in the 14th Army in Burma called “Quartered Safe Out here” which is well worth reading and both funny and harrowing at times.

Two other series of books that I have read in the past are Douglas Reeman’s books about Richard Bolitho which are similar to the Hornblower books and Allan Mallinson’s books about Matthew Hervey, a cavalry officer during the first part of the 19th century who, like Flashman, takes part in various conflicts around the globe.
MartinF
New Shoots

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat