It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:10

Energy

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Energy

Postby Phil Pascoe » 17 Sep 2021, 18:51

Most of my consumption is at night anyway, and it wouldn't be difficult avoid the 4.00pm - 7.00pm (or whatever the v. expensive time is) for most of the rest.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby RogerS » 17 Sep 2021, 21:44

Alasdair wrote:.....You need to be able to store the energy to take advantage of agile.

By the time you've factored in the capital cost of whatever you need to store it, doesn't make sense to me.

Actually..... :eusa-think: ...just had a thought. I've still got this

Stick in some immersion heaters on a time switch...
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby droogs » 18 Sep 2021, 11:48

I'm with Octopus and even with us having been home basically 24/7 for the last 2 years our bill is £90 a month for dual fuel on the greenest source tariff and will be until the summer :D
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Woodster » 18 Sep 2021, 12:06

I’ve said to the other half that the way the weathers going I expect the heating may have to be turned on in November! :lol:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 18 Sep 2021, 22:45

Interesting (in a bad way) article:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58610561

This graph speaks volumes:

gas prices.png
(162.23 KiB)
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 19 Sep 2021, 08:54

Not unexpected, there were lots of workplaces closed down worldwide and demand was low.

Soon, people will realise that electricity isnt produced by fairies at the bottom of the garden and we haven't sufficent generating capacity to cover ever increasing demand.
A few brown outs and the XR infants will be putting away their toys.

Gas makes fertiliser which make CO2 which is important for the food industry ...... Who knew ?
How many other essentials a similarly linked.
Last edited by Lurker on 21 Sep 2021, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby droogs » 19 Sep 2021, 09:41

You're right Steve the graph does speak volumes, literally. I didn't realize you are such a Paraprosdokian.
:text-bravo:
droogs
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 19 Sep 2021, 09:58

Worth posting this link again

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 19 Sep 2021, 11:54

Lurker wrote:
Gas makes fertiliser which make CO2 which is important for the food industry ...... Who knew ?
How many other essentials a similarly linked.

Marmite. Marmite is a by product of beer. :lol: Which also produces CO2.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby 9fingers » 19 Sep 2021, 12:37

I'm trying to unravel the gas price causing co2 shortage media story.
I recall a co2 shortage last year too.

As stated above CO2 is a by product of the ammonia industry most of which goes into fertliser production (ammonium nitrate). In the summer season farmers dont need much if any fertiliser so the fertiliser plants(haha) cut right back on production and do things like taking equipment off line for maintenance in the quiet period.
This seems logical and I suspect there is not too much linkage with gas pricing at the moment until such time as the farmer want fertiliser and the cost of that will increase down the line into grain and vegetable pricing.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby droogs » 19 Sep 2021, 13:22

simple grew your own in pots in the garden and then it wont matter lol
droogs
Old Oak

Postby Lurker » 19 Sep 2021, 14:48

droogs wrote:simple grew your own in pots in the garden and then it wont matter lol

Been there, spend a fortune on seeds, waste hours tending the crops.
Drought, badgers (yes really) and pigeons eat or kill most.
Except for an odd glut of something that in short time you can't give away and are sick of eating.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 20 Sep 2021, 14:14

I've been running one of the comparison sites to look for the way the market is reacting.

Many quotes are now identical indicating that the the price cap is operating. I'm not sure if this is using the new cap figure due to be enforced from 1st October or not.
All other attempts to find the cap tariff as distinct from the cap price for mr average consumption widely published is proving difficult.

My supplier AVRO online offers me a 12 month fix starting 1/1/22 when my old 12m deal runs out which is just £50 more than the capped figure for my consumption. I'm tempted to accept this as it would cover me for the inevitable cap increase on 1/4/22
Trouble is that when I press to button to accept it, they say please phone us and then when I do, they have effectively closed the phone line and hang up.

There would appear to be a degree of turmoil to put it mildly. Seems like Steve was lucky to have got a deal the other day no matter how painful it might have been.

Listening to the media, we seems to have lowest cost for variable tariff, highest cost for 12 month fix and 24 month fixes cheaper than 12 month ones - Barmy!!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Steve Maskery » 20 Sep 2021, 17:38

Yes, Bob, barmy. I assume that they are forseeing the short-term future price will rocket and are factoring that in. If you are prepared to take the risk, stay on the ("cheap", ha-ha) SVT, but pay the price, literally, when things get even worse. It's difficult to imagine, really, but presumably there is no limit to the price in the wholesale market. There isn't a cap there, is there?

I've been checking my bank account for this refund from Green. No sign of it yet. I've just tried to phone them "You are number 62 in the queue..."
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 20 Sep 2021, 19:08

I have little sympathy for the cut price energy firms going bust. They bought customers by offering low prices, but as we are now discovering made no attempt whatsoever to manage their risk of wholesale gas prices going up sharply. They did not hedge by buying forward or using the futures and options markets to manage their risk. In effect they took a total punt on wholesale prices staying stable or low, which is why they were cheaper and why they are now falling over like nine pins. The regulator was asleep and has a lot to answer for, as such firms should never have been licensed without showing that they have risk management methods in place.

The rest of us will pick up the tab one way or another, either through general price rises when the market participants collapse down to a few players (price cap cannot be sustained or no one will be willing to absorb customers of the failed firms) or through future taxation to pay for government loans to the big players.

Perhaps it is time for key utilities such as gas, sewerage, electricity, heating oil, water and internet to be under state ownership so that we all pay our way equally.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MattS » 20 Sep 2021, 20:18

Worrying times, for so many people on lower incomes in particular. Also worrying that R4 this morning quite a few people were starting to use this as an excuse to talk about removing green levies. To mirror the early comment about XR infants, a load of rich old men trying to make themselves richer in the short term at the expense of the planet.

Whilst I agree Adrian that it certainly looks like many of these companies were wholly unprepared for any wholesale price increases, I know nothing about finance. But weren't they brought in to the market to reduce the monopoly from the big energy companies and all the signs seem to suggest the government are quite happy to let it go back to a few big boys making all the money from normal people. No surprise really.

I reckon if Johnson suggested nationalising it would probably be hailed as genius, whereas Corbyn was ridiculed. However as much chance of Johnson doing that as Corbyn becoming Prime Minister!
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Blackswanwood » 20 Sep 2021, 20:50

Steve Maskery wrote:
I've been checking my bank account for this refund from Green. No sign of it yet. I've just tried to phone them "You are number 62 in the queue..."

The CEO of Green was on the news earlier Steve saying that without early support from Boris & Co they are unlikely to survive the winter. It may be worth invoking the direct debit guarantee via your bank. Even if they ask you to wait a few days it’s a matter of record with them.

The whole thing is a mess and I agree with the earlier comments that the regulator has a few questions they should be answering.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 20 Sep 2021, 22:02

Blackswanwood wrote:.....

The whole thing is a mess and I agree with the earlier comments that the regulator has a few questions they should be answering.

As in not considering Roger's Law ?

"What if ?"
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 21 Sep 2021, 04:25

lights out.png
(137.34 KiB)

Best start stocking up on torch batteries then :?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 21 Sep 2021, 06:50

No, the lights won't go out, but it will cost one's entire income to keep them on.
S
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Gill » 21 Sep 2021, 13:24

My torch has both a solar cell and a winding handle. It may prove to be a wiser investment than gold.

Incidentally, we recently changed energy suppliers and this morning we received our final account which claimed we owed our previous suppliers (SSE) almost £1500! After waiting half an hour on the phone to talk to their representative, His Lordship persuaded them that they owed us £150. I wonder how many people would have simply accepted the claim.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby 9fingers » 22 Sep 2021, 18:42

I see two more suppliers, both mentioned in the this thread Avro and Green have gone mammaries upmost.

@Steve, If you have not already done so I suggest that approach your bank and invoke the DD guarantee scheme to cover your "problem"

I suspected Avro, my supplier, had a problem when a few days ago all their phone lines had been closed.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Steve Maskery » 23 Sep 2021, 10:33

I've spoken to my bank. All very straightforward. Well, fairly straightforward.
There is a difference between the DD amounts she has and the amount that Green said they owe me. The difference is £292. I don't know why. But the rest, almost a grand, should go back into my account any year soon.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 23 Sep 2021, 11:24

Steve Maskery wrote:I've spoken to my bank. All very straightforward. Well, fairly straightforward.
There is a difference between the DD amounts she has and the amount that Green said they owe me. The difference is £292. I don't know why. But the rest, almost a grand, should go back into my account any year soon.

You should be able to see the exact amount of over payments from your bank statements (request copies if necessary)
The variability might be in terms of interest and compensation which arguably is not the banks fault but Green's. I'd accept the amount they off graciously and try and get a statement from them of how they arrived at the amount. Then consider starting a dialogue with the ombudsman for the rest but don't hold your breath as Green will have a mile long queue of creditors from their customers who are likely to be in credit from their monthly DDs exceeding their consumption over the summer.
However your case is not dissimilar from them and OFGEM might also be pushing to get customers money back.
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 23 Sep 2021, 11:42

9fingers wrote:.... as Green will have a mile long queue of creditors from their customers who are likely to be in credit from their monthly DDs exceeding their consumption over the summer.
Bob

My understanding is that credit accruals are transferred to the new supplier who takes over responsibility for repaying. However, not sure if that applies in Steve's case since he no longer has an active account with Green to transfer over to the new supplier. :eusa-think:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat