It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:14

Begging letter from the other place.

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Postby Pete Maddex » 27 Nov 2021, 18:56

Asking me for money! I have only accidentally clicked on the site in the last half a year, came up with loads of advertisements so I shut it down.

Did anyone else get the email?

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Begging letter from the other place.

Postby DaveL » 27 Nov 2021, 19:00

They kept sending me emails, even though I have not been on the site in 10 years, so I have blocked emails from them.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Steve Maskery » 27 Nov 2021, 19:10

Me too. I thought it was rather optimistic of them, given the manner of my departure...
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Argus » 27 Nov 2021, 19:59

I got one of those yesterday disguised as a 'Black-Friday' promotion.
Basically, the twenty quid joining fees was reduced to fifteen..............

I haven't fallen out with anyone and still have a look occasionally and I've been a 'face' over there for over 19 years.... I ain't going to start paying for it now.

It use to be an interesting place to spend some time..........
Argus
Sapling

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 27 Nov 2021, 20:06

Me too. I see they also own Kitchen Knife Forum too as well now. Annoying.
Last edited by AJB Temple on 27 Nov 2021, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby CHJ » 27 Nov 2021, 20:17

I've had one PM to my old UKW account from Amin and three spam emails offering the same deal, taken a bit longer than I expected to start trying to drum up subscriptions.

I guess un-edited or filtered blanket mailing shots are to be expected from a source that is income orientated.
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Name: Chas Jones

Postby thetyreman » 27 Nov 2021, 22:33

they also own groupdiy.com
'Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do' Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
thetyreman
Sapling

Name: Ben

Postby Stuart » 27 Nov 2021, 22:55

It stayed on my screen for as long as it took me to click the delete button!
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 27 Nov 2021, 23:00

Are these emails or advertisements you're seeing? I haven't had any emails, and as far as I know I am still a member. I don't see any advertisements on the internet because I have Adblock Plus installed.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby CHJ » 27 Nov 2021, 23:06

I had a 'so called conversations' (private messages) from Angie (admin) and emails to my server to old email links that were used to check UKW forum operations and spam phishing? sources.
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Name: Chas Jones

Postby Trevanion » 27 Nov 2021, 23:23

What did I tell you all? Nobody listened to me! I was mad they said! :lol:

Does anyone fancy PMing me a copy of the email? They wiped my account details so I of course don't get any emails from them anymore, thankfully!
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 27 Nov 2021, 23:34

It was a direct message, or should I say conversation from Angie, Dan. I imagine it went out to anyone with an account, I don’t really understand what they think it will achieve as the same sort of message is on a banner already, but I guess they buy these forums to monetise them so it’s to be expected.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 28 Nov 2021, 00:00

Doug wrote:It was a direct message, or should I say conversation from Angie, Dan. I imagine it went out to anyone with an account, I don’t really understand what they think it will achieve as the same sort of message is on a banner already, but I guess they buy these forums to monetise them so it’s to be expected.

Thanks for sending it to me Doug, much appreciated!

I know we're not really supposed to discuss it here on WH2, but having a look on google I notice that they've bought a lot more forums in the last 6 months than they had when I last checked which they had about fifty that I could find. Ben mentions GroupDIY and there's a thread there where a poster mentions UKW's takeover, but what's interesting is that the thread linked (which was my thread actually) has now been deleted from UKW, presumably to prevent other people from googling it.

https://groupdiy.com/threads/i-am-suspicious.77660/page-2#post-989872

Everything about Groupbuilder is dodgy, from their business practices to the way they treat posters, having a subscription service that you couldn't cancel initially before it was brought to their attention was very suspect, especially as they had been doing this for a few years with other forums.

This is a very interesting read too:

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?p=287824

I wonder if Trim has had any emails from them about this place? :eusa-think:

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 28 Nov 2021, 00:05

No contact here yet, we’re not busy enough I imagine.

I can assure you this forum will never be sold while myself and the other mod team are running it. Not that anyone would want a forum where you can’t post a picture the right way round…
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Gill » 28 Nov 2021, 00:13

Surely the Other Place is legally required to delete your personal data if you rescind your permission for them to hold it?
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby Trevanion » 28 Nov 2021, 00:23

TrimTheKing wrote:Not that anyone would want a forum where you can’t post a picture the right way round…

:lol:

TrimTheKing wrote:No contact here yet, we’re not busy enough I imagine.

I'm not so sure, it seems their strategy is to either send emails or put posts on forum pages with their contact details, this is an example off a forum that seemed even quieter than this one:

Hi,

Hope this day finds you and your community well. My name is Faith Lopez and I handle acquisitions with GroupBuilder. We own a whole network of forums on a variety of topics and have been managing forums for over 20 years.

I wanted to connect with you to see if you would be interested in discussing an offer for your forum. If you are, please let me know the best contact email so we can chat more.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

All the best,

Faith Lopez

Email: faith@groupbuilder.com

You can find dozens of posts like that from the past few months if you look for them, their email appears in this spam database several times, all under different IP addresses in all different countries across the world.

https://www.stopforumspam.com/domain/groupbuilder.com
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lons » 28 Nov 2021, 00:26

I don't think there is anything to prevent them retaining the content Gill and if I remember correctly there were a couple of incidents where a departing member deleted all his hundreds of posts and caused chaos when it disappeared, I think they stopped that by limiting the time available to edit posts.

I got the email /conversation and immediately deleted it as I certainly took offence at the "black Friday" offer approach, I'm still a member and look in occasionally but as many predicted it's well and truly down the pan.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Vann » 28 Nov 2021, 06:07

I got both an email and a PM. I still visit, and contribute, from time to time - but everytime I see posts from certain members my blood starts to heat up (and that doesn't include Jacob).

At one time I was going to cough up some money - but it got too complicated to avoid payment methods I don't like, so I didn't and I won't.

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Phil » 28 Nov 2021, 07:30

I visit about 3 times a year on the Scroll Saw forum, don't login.

Logedin this morning and there was an Angie message.

I am not sure if there is a new currency being traded?

Cost was $15.00 GBP :o

What is the exchange rate?? :lol: :lol:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Andyp » 28 Nov 2021, 07:42

I can assure you this forum will never be sold while myself and the other mod team are running it. Not that anyone would want a forum where you can’t post a picture the right way round…

:text-bravo: :text-goodpost:
And has my wholehearted support.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 28 Nov 2021, 08:10

Trevanion wrote:......

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?p=287824......

How on earth did you find that? And yes, it really is interesting. Anyone with a few spare minutes might usefully have a quick read.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 28 Nov 2021, 08:17

Andyp wrote:

:text-bravo: :text-goodpost:
And has my wholehearted support.

:text-+1:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 28 Nov 2021, 08:22

Mike G wrote:
Trevanion wrote:......

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?p=287824......

How on earth did you find that? And yes, it really is interesting. Anyone with a few spare minutes might usefully have a quick read.

Just read, fascinating insights and I now know what a stomp box is too.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Trevanion » 28 Nov 2021, 11:59

Mike G wrote:How on earth did you find that?

Quite easily actually, I used the exact phrase function of Google (It probably works on DuckDuckGo too) to search "Forum" "GroupBuilder", it was literally the second result.

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AndyT » 28 Nov 2021, 14:03

Interesting stuff, confirming my own suspicions. And I think it helps me with a minor decision of my own.

Going back quite a while, when the forum picture hosting was awkward and limited to v low res, it became normal to use any of several free third party sites. I used Photobucket, which seemed a good idea at the time. Then they changed the terms of service and wrecked thousands of posts on forums around the world.
I didn't like that and I was vain enough to think that some of my old posts were still likely to be useful, so I bought some cheap server space and devised a crude but effective editing routine, so I could work through my old posts and make all the image tags point to the new place. I'm still paying for that site and when I stop all the pictures will disappear from my old posts.

On here, I just upload photos to the forum, whether from my PC or mobile, and appreciate the auto resizing that is done. I'm not uploading any new content to my own site.

So Mark, if you need contributions from some of us towards the hosting fees for WH2, turning off my own site and making a donation feels like a better way to spend that cash.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat