It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:47

Weird Pronunciation in a YouTube Video

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Weird Pronunciation in a YouTube Video

Postby Andy Kev. » 21 Jun 2022, 10:28

I recently watched Schindler's List on the TV and found Ralf Fiennes' portrayal of Amon Göth to be remarkable. I wondered how accurate it was and came upon a YouTube clip. It turns out that the film version of Göth was, if anything, watered down because some things would be just unshowable.

However, that's not the reason for this thread. What struck me about the clip was the almost surreal pronunciation employed by the commentator. I found it painful to listen to. The problem stems from his emphasis nearly always landing on the wrong places in his sentence. I'm fairly sure, in fact I'd bet on it, that nobody talks like that in real life. Have a listen (sorry about the subject matter being so horrible):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAgIKNGfD2Q

I came to the conclusion that the commentator is someone who is probably literate (he appears to be reading from script) but very poorly educated. The only other place I've come across wild pronunciation like this is in the broadcasts of cabin crew in aeroplanes.

Do you think that people like this believe that such a way of speaking makes them sound knowledgeable? It has the opposite effect on me. Any suggestions on where it comes from? Am I being over sensitive?
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Weird Pronunciation in a YouTube Video

Postby Cabinetman » 21 Jun 2022, 10:53

Bit like Rowan Atkinson in court as a barrister after having completed a correspondence course using all the wrong pronunciation, aleebee instead of alibi etc. Like a lot of grumpy old men I find myself castigating - (shouting at) the people on the radio for their miss pronunciations. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby AJB Temple » 21 Jun 2022, 11:04

Carol Klein is also a word and sentence mangler of similar ability. I am forced to watch gardening programmes and Ms Klein therefore attacks my ears quite often.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lurker » 21 Jun 2022, 11:28

AJB Temple wrote:Carol Klein is also a word and sentence mangler of similar ability. I am forced to watch gardening programmes and Ms Klein therefore attacks my ears quite often.

True, but she does seem to have a personality, I quite like her.
Can’t stand MontyDon.
Bring back Percy Thrower !!
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby wallace » 21 Jun 2022, 11:46

On the subject of pronunciation have you noticed the way americans say aks instead of ask and ruff instead of roof. :D
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 21 Jun 2022, 11:55

AJB Temple wrote:Carol Klein is also a word and sentence mangler of similar ability. I am forced to watch gardening programmes and Ms Klein therefore attacks my ears quite often.

Its not just me then.

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby John Brown » 21 Jun 2022, 12:01

Some Americans say "aks". Just like some Brits say "free" instead of "three". I find the latter more painful, maybe because I'm British.
If you want weird phrasing and pauses, check out William F Buckley Jr.
John Brown
Sapling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 21 Jun 2022, 12:10

Couldn't watch it all but what I did listen to sounded condescending to me.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Doug71 » 21 Jun 2022, 12:36

Not quite what this thread is about but kind of related and I feel the need to share in the hope it will help me calm down after something my son yesterday.

I have 2 sons aged 10 and 12, same as other kids their age they often use Americanisms like diaper or sidewalk, It does annoy me, I sometimes try to correct them but they don't see the problem.

Yesterday I was left with my head in my hands when my eldest son who has a cold announced "My nose is running like a faucet."

I think a YouTube ban is in order for them.
Doug71
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Jun 2022, 12:41

I listened to it all the way through. It was to me at least, clearly delivered in a monotonous, slightly nasal voice and he seemed to be reading from a script which accounted for the 'flat' delivery but I didn't find it weird as there are plenty of other narrators on UToob that are a lot worse.

We also saw Schindler's List very recently and the film brought back memories of our short break to Krakow. We were able to visit his original factory without a guide and I went up the stairs immediately inside the arch on the lhs that can can clearly seen in the film. Even the yard and factory buildings beyond the entrance were derelict and I was able to peer inside to see the shop floor where the pots n'pans were made. Very surreal - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 21 Jun 2022, 12:53

I didn't think it too bad, it just sounded to me as if he had only been given two minutes warning he had to read it out and it was his first attempt at reading it.
Fortunately, maybe, I have no idea who Carol Klein is. :lol:
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby John Brown » 21 Jun 2022, 13:22

Doug71 wrote:Not quite what this thread is about but kind of related and I feel the need to share in the hope it will help me calm down after something my son yesterday.

I have 2 sons aged 10 and 12, same as other kids their age they often use Americanisms like diaper or sidewalk, It does annoy me, I sometimes try to correct them but they don't see the problem.

Yesterday I was left with my head in my hands when my eldest son who has a cold announced "My nose is running like a faucet."

I believe faucet is an old English word.
But anyway, what with Johnson, Trump and Putin, I've got worse things to worry about than a few American words. Of course, the fact that I have an American wife, three American stepdaughters and five grandchildren, who all use some American words or pronunciations, could be relevant.
John Brown
Sapling

Name:

Postby Vann » 21 Jun 2022, 20:28

I've been watching quite a few youtube clips on the Ukrainian war recently. I've noticed some strange pronunciations and strange repetition of words. I decided some commentators must be using computer generated voices.

However I'm not convinced that is the case with the Goth clip.

A when it comes to strange pronunciations - well, I'm a Kiwi so I'll get my coat.... ;)

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Lurker » 21 Jun 2022, 20:30

Doug71 wrote:Not quite what this thread is about but kind of related and I feel the need to share in the hope it will help me calm down after something my son yesterday.

Sounds to me like let’s see who can wind dad up the most competition.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andy Kev. » 22 Jun 2022, 04:43

John Brown wrote:Some Americans say "aks". Just like some Brits say "free" instead of "three". I find the latter more painful, maybe because I'm British.
If you want weird phrasing and pauses, check out William F Buckley Jr.

"Aks" is an old southern English word for "ask" (which originally was more predominant in the north and eventually became the official version of the verb) and it still survives in some southern dialects. Emigrants from the south are likely to have taken it to America with them.

Quite a few Americanisms are preservations of things which have died out in British English.

Other Americanisms represent direct translations from other European languages or simple imports from other languages. Brits who are weak in their own language or who just want to sound trendy by using Americanisms tend to import them into English.

Examples: "Hej" is Swedish for "hello". Descendants of Swedish emigrants used it in their English and then it became mainstream and quite a few Brits are now using it. It is of course there in English (from the Viking) but it's use was always more exclamatory e.g. "Hey! You there! What are you doing?"

"Meet with" as in "I met with him" seems to be a direct translation of the German "treffen mit". Because German emigrants were used to the preposition mit = with, they just translated it into English. Of course in British English there is no preposition. However, linguistically weak people in the media adopted it and now it is widespread.
Last edited by Andy Kev. on 22 Jun 2022, 04:55, edited 2 times in total.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andy Kev. » 22 Jun 2022, 04:47

Phil Pascoe wrote:I didn't think it too bad, it just sounded to me as if he had only been given two minutes warning he had to read it out and it was his first attempt at reading it.
Fortunately, maybe, I have no idea who Carol Klein is. :lol:

It never ceases to amaze me how people see things so differently. Naturally I believe you when you say you don't think it too bad. For me it is almost painful.

My point is not his pronunciation - he has tried his best with Polish and German words - but rather his (to me) wholly unnatural speech rhythms.

Consider, for instance the simple phrase, "See you in the morning". The stress is on the final word. He would put the stress any of the three middle words, presumably as he sees fit. He uses these unnatural stresses in nearly every sentence. I'm not talking about Oxford English or Received Pronunciation here: I'm talking about normal English speech rhythms.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 22 Jun 2022, 07:56

Yes. A normal speech rhythm is expected from experienced newsreaders etc. but is difficult to achieve for most people on the first reading of something.

Your point is not pronunciation? Poor choice of thread title, then. :lol:
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Postby tracerman » 22 Jun 2022, 09:32

Firstly apologies if this has already been mentioned ;

When my parents moved us from Bristol to southampton in 1956 , Dad was the station chemist in the old Southampton power station . As a scientific bod , he hated hearing the word research pronounced ree-search . Its not , research is one word . ( I doubt the French say Ree - cherches ) .

Next door to the power station was the open-air swimming pool referred to locally as the Lydo and Dad was always at pains to point out that it should be pronounced "leedo " as the Romans would have done .

Who started this trend of starting a scentence with " so" ?

Annoyed of Southampton .
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby Woodbloke » 22 Jun 2022, 10:21

tracerman wrote:

Annoyed of Southampton .

A current trend which I find intensely irritating :evil: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Tiresias » 22 Jun 2022, 11:02

tracerman wrote:

Annoyed of Southampton .

‘So shaken are we, so wan with care’. Henry IV Pt1.

You may have heard of the playwright.

‘So the Lord awaked as one out of sleep: and like a giant refreshed with wine.’ Psalm 76.

But I know what you mean – ‘so’ being used as a sort of linguistic placeholder much as umms and ahhs and well are used, whilst the speaker is thinking out what to say. I can think of some politicians whose verbal run up is the equivalent to starting from the boundary rope.

John Skelton (16C?). I seem to remember a poem where several consecutive lines begin with ‘so’.

And (there’s another one, starting a sentence with a conjunction), I’m just being mischievous. So please forgive my frivolity.
Tiresias
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 22 Jun 2022, 12:43

Andy Kev. wrote:....Am I being over sensitive?

In a word....possibly ! I didn't find anything out of the ordinary in the way that he spoke TBH.

What I find much more grating is the way a lot of women speak these days ...either with the Aussie interrogative rise at the end of each sentence or those that sound like a gerbil being castrated with a very blunt and rusty razor blade. Many American women fall into this second category.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 22 Jun 2022, 12:57

RogerS wrote:
Andy Kev. wrote:....Am I being over sensitive?

In a word....possibly ! I didn't find anything out of the ordinary in the way that he spoke TBH.

What I find much more grating is the way a lot of women speak these days ...either with the Aussie interrogative rise at the end of each sentence..

You can lay the blame fairly and squarely on 'Neighbours' for that misdemeanour; thank God it's been kicked into the long grass. KM was tolerable though :D - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 22 Jun 2022, 13:34

I think that the soaps have been responsible for many of the woes in todays society. The odd times I have happened to dip in while punching through the channels, shouting and aggressive confrontational behaviour seems to be the 'norm'.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 23 Jun 2022, 17:15

As a survivor of Junior Latin, I find it intolerable that the proper Latin and Greek endings are so mis-pronounced. "Funjai" being a particularly irksome lingual laziness. As for "a criteria", well it tempts me to fracture the sixth commandment.
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby Phil Pascoe » 23 Jun 2022, 17:19

Yes. Latin words ending in "i" pronounced "aye"............. the same as words ending in "ae"

Pedants are we. :lol:
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat