It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:40

Anyone else having problems?

Please list any and all bugs, feature requests etc in here and we can pick them up from one place. Only one bug/request per thread please, and make the title relevant so they are easy to pick out.

Anyone else having problems?

Postby Mike G » 03 Feb 2021, 13:55

The only internet issues I am having at the moment are with this site. It is saying this a lot:

This site can’t be reached The connection was reset.
Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

I am also being signed out most times I leave the site, despite having "keep me signed in" ticked. The problems started last night. I have shut down and re-started, but to no avail.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Anyone else having problems?

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Feb 2021, 13:58

I'm OK.

Mac Mini. MacOS Catalina. Safari 14.0.2
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby 9fingers » 03 Feb 2021, 14:19

No problems here Mike.
1)win 10 laptop and a mozilla based browser
2)iphone and safari.
both with saved password and auto login set.
Roughly every couple of months I seem to be logged out and have to recall stored password and re-tick "keep me logged in" option.
Not sure why this happens - quite often at different times on each platform but it is rare enough not to worry about it.

It might be worth checking/changing the DNS server that you are using.

I use googles DNS servers but your google phobia might not approve. maybe give it brief try and see if the problems go away/change

here are a couple to try OpenDNS (208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222) and Google Public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Bob

PS a DNS (Domain Name Server) translates from the url name you type in into a ip address for the site you want.
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 03 Feb 2021, 14:21

I don't even know what a DNS server is. Why would the issues only affect this site?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 03 Feb 2021, 14:27

Mike G wrote:I don't even know what a DNS server is. Why would the issues only affect this site?

I added a PS to explain the function of a DNS.
DNS servers have to keep themselves up to date with the latest IP addresses so it is just possible that the one you are using is lagging behind for some reason which is why i suggested changing it to see if it helps.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Rezi » 03 Feb 2021, 15:16

I used to have exactly the same problem on UKW. I was constantly getting connection problems and it was only that site. I'm on the internet a lot and I never had the problem anywhere else. At the time I put it down to my location but when they upgraded the website software the problem stopped. I've never had it on this website. Have you tried clearing out the cookies?
Rezi
New Shoots

Name: Steve

Postby Robert » 03 Feb 2021, 16:09

No problems at all here.

If it is DNS issues then they may just go away on their own in a day or so.

if they don't there may be 2 places you can change to alternative DNS servers. i changed my router settings to use googles DNS so everything on my network uses them. You can just go into your windows network settings and change it for just your PC. Google or other search for instructions. it is not difficult to do and can easily be changed back again.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Vann » 03 Feb 2021, 16:46

I find I get logged out frequently (sometimes within a few minutes) when using the computer at work (windows10). No problems with the home computer. I think my smartphone also logs me out - but I hate doing posts from my smartphone (it's smarter than me) so I don't often post from it.

Cheers, Vann (from work w10)
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Andyp » 03 Feb 2021, 17:15

A bit late yo the pass but working fine in the EU.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 03 Feb 2021, 18:32

Robert wrote:.....If it is DNS issues then they may just go away on their own in a day or so......

I'm going to take this (safe) approach. BTW, this annoyance happens every time I hit the quote button, or the reply button, or open a link to another page on the forum. It came on yesterday, but absolutely nothing has changed with my computer, which hasn't been switched off for days (until I did a re-start in the midst of this issue).
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby StevieB » 03 Feb 2021, 18:34

Same here Mike, but no idea why and only this site. I put it down to the internet fairies having a bad day and will ignore it for a while :)
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 08 Feb 2021, 14:47

This nightmare continues. I have tried all the different DNS settings that Bob suggested, and it has made no difference. I stress again that the only place on the entire internet that I am having any issues is on WH2.

Whilst we search for an answer to this, could I ask if I could please have a temporary boost to the size of my PM inbox. It is impossible to clear PMs, because every time I go through the process it goes to a "This site can't be reached, your connection was reset" page, and the changes (deletions) don't happen. I have PMs on hold which I therefore can't access.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Feb 2021, 15:08

Not sure what's going on there Mike, and right now I can't delve, but in the interim I've boosted everyone's PM box from 100-200 messages. Hope that helps in the short term until we work out what's happening.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 08 Feb 2021, 15:11

Mike G wrote:This nightmare continues. I have tried all the different DNS settings that Bob suggested, and it has made no difference. I stress again that the only place on the entire internet that I am having any issues is on WH2.

Whilst we search for an answer to this, could I ask if I could please have a temporary boost to the size of my PM inbox. It is impossible to clear PMs, because every time I go through the process it goes to a "This site can't be reached, your connection was reset" page, and the changes (deletions) don't happen. I have PMs on hold which I therefore can't access.

OK not a DNS issue then.

Could you try comparing notes with Stevie B to see if there is anything you both have in common and yet might be regarded as unusual.
The PM thing is beyond my paygrade but will ping mark for you to see if there is a method to do what you ask.

can you describe your set up in terms of
isp:
browser and version:
Anti virus:
security settings in place:
Is your browser set to remember your TWH2 login credentials?
Any other browsers you have installed that you could try?
I know you don't have a smart phone but do you have access to other platforms you or your wife could try to compare?
If accessing the forum is a problem to answer this lot, you can email me and I'll post it back here.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 08 Feb 2021, 15:14

Caveat. I am no techie.

In here are a few things that might be worth a try

https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/host ... ion-reset/

Reset ( switch off for a few minutes) your internet box/router is one idea not muted here.

Try another browser.

If everyone was having this problem we would be inundated with complaints so although the problem is site specific it appears to be local to only a few members.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 08 Feb 2021, 15:16

Where do I look to find the answers to those questions, Bob? I'm not being difficult, I'm just displaying my ignorance.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Where do I look to find the answers to those questions, Bob? I'm not being difficult, I'm just displaying my ignorance.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

........and now we're double posting.....
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 08 Feb 2021, 15:32

Mike G wrote:Where do I look to find the answers to those questions, Bob? I'm not being difficult, I'm just displaying my ignorance.

And Im struggling with your "ignorance" :D

You must know who your ISP is - who do you pay for internet service?
Operating system announces itself every time you switch on the computer
If it is windows then system information will tell you the version (possibly not that important if you keep it up to date)
Browser : its the thing you use to access the internet. eg chrome, firefox, Edge, Opera etc etc Version is normally shown under help/about
What antivirus software did you install or don't you have any?
Security settings will be whatever you set or the default in your OS. It is really special things you might have set for other reasons that might be causing your problems.
Login credentials: do you type in your password and username everytime you enter the forum is it set to remember them for you.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby sunnybob » 08 Feb 2021, 15:36

call the experts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rksCTVFtjM4

But truly, turn it ALL off, count to 10 slowly, and turn it all back on again.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby StevieB » 08 Feb 2021, 15:40

For me, it is this site only, but intermittent. Nothing has changed, all the usual 'log me in automatically' boxes are ticked as expected. I am not on here frequently enough for it to be annoying, and I rarely get or send PMs so not noticed an issue with this either. As such I am not likely to be much help for comparative purposes I am afraid. If it helps though, several smilies do not display correctly and random images are also missing when I read threads!
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 08 Feb 2021, 17:20

9fingers wrote:......You must know who your ISP is - who do you pay for internet service?

BT

If it is windows then system information will tell you the version (possibly not that important if you keep it up to date)

Windows 10. It just updates itself whenever things are nicely settled and working well, solely to spoil things. System information....I have no idea where to look.

Browser : its the thing you use to access the internet. eg chrome, firefox, Edge, Opera etc etc Version is normally shown under help/about

Damn, it's seems it's Chrome. I must change that:
Version 88.0.4324.146 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Avast

Security settings will be whatever you set or the default in your OS. It is really special things you might have set for other reasons that might be causing your problems.

I don't know what these are, so I can't have altered them. Therefore let's assume the default applies.

Login credentials: do you type in your password and username everytime you enter the forum is it set to remember them for you.

No, I keep the box ticked which says something like "log me on automatically every time..", and otherwise my log ins are saved in some autofill programme. At the moment, I am probably logging on about every thirst time I visit.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

9fingers wrote:......You must know who your ISP is - who do you pay for internet service?

BT

Windows 10. It just updates itself whenever things are nicely settled and working well, solely to spoil things. System information....I have no idea where to look.

Avast

I don't know what these are, so I can't have altered them. Therefore let's assume the default applies.

No, I keep the box ticked which says something like "log me on automatically every time..", and otherwise my log ins are saved in some autofill programme. At the moment, I am probably logging on about every thirst time I visit.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

BT

Avast

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 08 Feb 2021, 18:47

Can I suggest that you log out of the forum. shut down your computer not just restart. Start up again.
Do you have an ipad or similar you can log in from instead of the computer?
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Next

Return to Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests