• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

2 stroke ails again.....

AJB Temple

Sequoia
Reaction score
Name
Adrian
Just had a thread about old neighbour's chainsaw woes. Well, he had the machine back a couple of days and he's back in my DIY workshop. As it's pelting down with rain yet again, I took a look.

The fuel I use is Marline Ethanol free pre-mix, same as Aspen but a bit cheaper, and it's blue. I sent him off with a new 5 litre container of the stuff literally days ago. He brought his saw back in with red fuel in it, along with a hedge cutter also with red fuel in it. Neither of them would start for him. We had the blue versus red discussion and he said he was using up his old fuel before the new stuff and his oil is red. Tongue duly bitten in my case, we traipsed down the lane to his house, patted the donkey, and it was soon apparent that he has got a drum of red diesel for his old MF and had got muddled and put diesel in his two strokes. :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes: He was a bit embarrassed.

It turns out that you can start a 2 stroke with diesel, but you need arms like Popeye as diesel does not vaporise very well. I don't think any great harm was done (not like with a 4 stroke engine). Just tipped out the diesel into a can, pulled through a few times with the plugs out, put proper fuel in, squirted some easy start into the air intake and they fired up after a dozen or so pulls. Seem to run OK.

Yep. I was a bit panicked at first, with visions of horror stories of people putting diesel in petrol cars. But when you think about it, a 2 stroke is lubricated by oil in the fuel and red diesel is just light oil I suppose. It probably doesn't do the engine a great deal of good to run it on diesel but in this case he couldn't start it and we got the diesel out pretty quickly. I had a look at sensible people on YT before trying to start it. Not sure what would happen with one of the 4 stroke combi engines though that runs on 2 stroke mix as the fuel is drawn into the tappet chamber and also fed to the crankcase.

Back