• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

New toy

When you say little......

Do you know anyone who restores old machinery? In the right hands that could buff up OK. :D

I thought you were trying to sell things, not buy more things! 😂
Its good for the soul, once one has cleared a load of junk to treat himself to a little trinket:) I seem to have bought a metal shaper as well.

Mike, I reckon it'll clean up ok with a good degrease. A have a hankering to build a little steam engine.

Its good for the soul, once one has cleared a load of junk to treat himself to a little trinket:) I seem to have bought a metal shaper as well.

You’ll be making your own machines soon!

Did you sell the Hardinge in the end?

If you build a BIG steam engine, you could use it to run all the other machines.
Just planting an idea...

You’ll be making your own machines soon!

Did you sell the Hardinge in the end?
Yeah a guy drove up from essex to have a look, said he wanted it and then said can we load it now. :) I says not likely, it takes about 2hrs to get it from the shed to the pavement. And then he wanted it lifting into his van with just an engine hoist. He then just says ok and walks off. Strange folk about. He then messages in a weeks time saying hell come and collect it.

Andy I know a guy in Ireland who has a farm and his family have a portable steam engine thats been in the family 100 years, there's one of those old films 'hands' I think of his grandad using it for threshing in the 70's. Anyway he uses it to run a wadkin 24" planer and a big rip saw at the same time.

Toy number 2, this appeared on ebay recently and was cheap enough and close enough for me to get. It was too heavy for me to manhandle out of the car by myself so I asked my nephew to lend a hand. I was very dubious about asking him, my concerns were well founded. We got an end each and slid it off the back. It was like a road runner cartoon with the anvil over the cliff. Thud onto the road, luckily only a little handle snapped as it passed his kneecap. In the end I had to pick it myself to put on a pallet.

70efbb7a-346b-4cd4-b722-ece23faf1906.jpg

f16e3a4c-4bd3-48dd-92d8-9442daaa868c.jpg

Not sure of the maker.

Attachments

• 8ecef185-19e8-4bdb-be13-17e35f3ad1d8.jpg
    8ecef185-19e8-4bdb-be13-17e35f3ad1d8.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 2
Nice looking little shaper. That's one of those things that's on my "if only I had space and time available" wish list!

CSI - you'll be able to solve American crimes with that Wallace !

But seriously, a shaper is a machine I'd like to add to my workshop. Shame there's no room, no budget, and no skills to operate one... (sigh).

Cheers, Vann.
It must be an oddball if Tony @ lathes.co doesn't know what make it is. The gearbox is repurposed I reckon

86dbb904-932f-4a32-802c-831c7a217e47.jpg

Back