• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

The view from my dining room

GaryR

New Shoots
Reaction score
Name
Gary
Apropos of nothing except to share a bit: this is the view from my dining room window as I sit here, looking south/southeast across the Willamette Valley. It is full on spring here and bursting with new growth. On a clear day and with fewer leaves one can see the still snow covered Three Sisters mountain peaks in the Cascade mountains on the horizon 90 miles away. I love all the layers in the view from here. I feel lucky to have found this place when we moved to Oregon.
44C93034-AD7B-4459-A813-25591EE4F41E.JPG

Last edited:
Looks wonderful Gary. I haven’t been to Oregon, yet!
I am constantly amazed at the scenery in the States, mile after mile in every direction there are trees and hills with really appealing houses nestling in amongst them. It’s quite stunning.
Ian

Looks like a very english garden to me (except for the view) not what I imagine American back yards to look like .

Simply to show that the old country still has some worthwhile scenery; my dining room has two sets of windows.

To the north:

DSC05212.jpg

And to the east:

DSC05332.jpg

I should add the photographs are a couple of years old, and not quite at the same time of year. The trees are just coming into leaf now. We actually had sub-zero over-night temperatures over the weekend and some sleet on Sunday. Still, at least the lambing is over.

Simply to show that the old country still has some worthwhile scenery; my dining room has two sets of windows.

To the north:

View attachment 26241

And to the east:

View attachment 26243

I should add the photographs are a couple of years old, and not quite at the same time of year. The trees are just coming into leaf now. We actually had sub-zero over-night temperatures over the weekend and some sleet on Sunday. Still, at least the lambing is over.
The formal garden with all the hedging and topiary is a lot of work, how do you fit it all in with the sheep raising? Nice views.

The formal garden with all the hedging and topiary is a lot of work, how do you fit it all in with the sheep raising? Nice views.
Simply because I do very little of it myself. I have helped the shepherd out from time to time with strays and such (as an aside, sheep have to be some of the stupidest animals on the planet. I remember fishing a lamb out of Prince Charlie’s well (I think every well in Scotland has to be called that) in front of the house. What sort of animal decides to jump down a metre wide stone lined well with no discernible bottom?).

And whilst I have cut hedges in the garden, the box hedges have taken about a hundred years to establish, so we’d rather leave it to some one that is a bit more experienced than me.

Very cool view. I've spent the last few days cutting yew and box and some other stuff that grows way too fast and although it looks nice I am starting to think all I want is a nice BBQ terrace overlooking the sea or a river.....

That is a great view, Gary.
and BTW..welcome to TWH2, from me, I am in Michigan
:)

Very cool view. I've spent the last few days cutting yew and box and some other stuff that grows way too fast and although it looks nice I am starting to think all I want is a nice BBQ terrace overlooking the sea or a river.....
high enough so that floods or tsunamis wont wash it away;)

Last edited:
I can see your point. Something like our southern terrace? (only looks onto a burn, mind you).

DSC04663.jpg

Or our place in Tyresö (no longer ours now – bloody politicians - but the view was spectacular). Deck to the left hand side.

DSC01445.jpg

I'll annoy people with more photographs when I get access to my other computer.

What's that white stuff on the ground, Tiresias? ;)

What's that white stuff on the ground, Tiresias? ;)
Very bad dandruff.

Old photographs, as I said. I've managed to bugger up the hard drive on my former main computer.

Here is the house from the air. Or google map. The second red circle is where we used to moor the boat. About 30 m elevation down from the house.

Untitled.jpg

I can see your point. Something like our southern terrace? (only looks onto a burn, mind you).

View attachment 26245

No!!! The whole point is No hedges, topiary, lawns, pot plants, bushes, trees, watering. It should be a terrace with a BBQ and a nice view and nothing else. Also self cleaning car as an extra.

How would that go down with your partner? Isn’t she a horticulturalist?

What you need is staff. Makes it a whole lot easier. Pricier. But easier.

Actually in Sweden the limited amount of grass there was only need mowing about 4 times a year. The moss and the conifer forest sort of looked after themselves. Lichen and rock is pretty maintenance free too. The Borders… different. The ‘burgh – upkeep free from a garden point of view. Although my partner dug out a window box last week.

So you could just move north.

North is cold. And wet. Terrace needs to be 30 degrees year round. Only just enough rain. And not too windy either. (Lived in Nederland for a while overlooking sea, which was a lovely view but you couldn't see it as the wind was never ending).

Back