• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Are Log Home Kits Worth the Investment?

nokomeb

Seedling
Joined
Jun 19, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Name
nokomeb
LOCATION
United States
Hello everyone.

I’m considering building a log home and have started looking into different log home kits. They seem like a convenient option, especially for someone who wants to manage the building process without starting completely from scratch.

However, I’m unsure how much work is involved once the kit arrives. Do most kits include everything needed for construction, or should I expect additional costs for insulation, roofing, plumbing, and other materials? I’d also like to know how difficult assembly is for someone with limited building experience.

If you’ve built one, was it worth the investment?
 
We're not really going to be able to help you here on a UK-based forum. We don't have such things. There are some shed kits built of logs available, I believe, but not houses.
 
I’ve seen a few old log homes over here and I’ve always thought they must have been tough strong men with friends to build one!
Another way I quite like is to construct the walls (between end posts) out of 2’ slices of tree, ends facing in and out, with cement between, whether the cement is just on the outside as a weather seal and something else stuffed between the logs internally I’m afraid I don’t know.
Would love to follow your build pls.
Ian
 
Back
Top