• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Breadmaking Machine

A little while back Panasonic sent me an email about their new Bread Makers together with a discount code. This seemed a good time to buy a new machine but all models were sold out! I’ve looked at their site a couple of times since then but no luck until a couple of days ago. We now have a shiny new SD-YR2550 sitting on our counter making us a brown loaf. :D
 
Our "daily bread" - well, usually every other day - is made using an old Panasonic that is staring to look pretty tired, but has been kept going with many replacement parts from eSpares. But on Saturday, for the first time in ages, I baked by hand. Tsourekakia - Greek enriched, braided rolls flavoured with Mahlepi - ground cherry kernels (bought from the wonderful Agora Greek Delicacies).

My they were nice, and very soon all gone. I do have the possibility to fire up the wood oven (just about visible at the bottom of the garden in a photo in this thread. Trouble is it eats through as much wood as the stove does in a week !
 
I've just used our Panasonic to make an adjusted white dough recipe for a couple of batons. figured I'd share it.

1.5 tsp yeast
600g white bread flour
2 tsp sugar
0.75 tsp salt
30g slightly salted butter
140ml milk
210ml water

it's delicious. even my MIL has stolen the recipe.

did have to show her how to roll a barm to get a nice smooth top but that's another matter. :lol:
20210502_173434.jpg
 
We had to replace our original white Panasonic after about nine years or so as the lining on the tin and paddle was completely cream-crackered, such that I had to turn the tin upside down and beat the living daylights out of it to remove a loaf. We bought a replacement Panasonic machine from AO with a stainless steel body and dispenser jobbie for additional ingredients. The yeast also now has it's own little separate dispenser in the lid - Rob
 
My SD253 has had at least 2 new pans, 3 paddles, a and replacement spindle - the dog clutch type bit that engages with the bottom of the pan. And a bodge with a bit of sheet copper to fix the broken raisin & nut dispenser. I think it has done more than 2000 lots of bread. The plastic of the lid is staring to go brittle with the heat, and I don't think you can get spares of those :cry:
 
Woodbloke":2t4bjxhi said:
We had to replace our original white Panasonic after about nine years or so as the lining on the tin and paddle was completely cream-crackered, such that I had to turn the tin upside down and beat the living daylights out of it to remove a loaf. We bought a replacement Panasonic machine from AO with a stainless steel body and dispenser jobbie for additional ingredients. The yeast also now has it's own little separate dispenser in the lid - Rob

I don’t think we’ll be using the yeast dispenser. I bought some dried French yeast from bakery bits and it’s best activated by adding to warm water and allowed to dissolve. I’ve been using this method for some time now and it works fine in the Breadmaker.

https://www.bakerybits.co.uk/saf-levure ... ried-yeast
 
Woodster":ljolto5p said:
Woodbloke":ljolto5p said:
We had to replace our original white Panasonic after about nine years or so as the lining on the tin and paddle was completely cream-crackered, such that I had to turn the tin upside down and beat the living daylights out of it to remove a loaf. We bought a replacement Panasonic machine from AO with a stainless steel body and dispenser jobbie for additional ingredients. The yeast also now has it's own little separate dispenser in the lid - Rob

I don’t think we’ll be using the yeast dispenser. I bought some dried French yeast from bakery bits and it’s best activated by adding to warm water and allowed to dissolve. I’ve been using this method for some time now and it works fine in the Breadmaker.

https://www.bakerybits.co.uk/saf-levure ... ried-yeast
I just keep it simple and lob the required amount of dried yeast into the dispenser; works fine. I did though, buy a similar looking container of dried yeast intended for home baking and not for the breadmaker; that wasn't so fine until I read the label on the tin :eusa-doh: - Rob
 
Strange, I've had 2 panasonics spreading across 30 years. On both, the recipes always stated put yeast in the pan first, then the flour to stop the yeast being activated by the water.
 
sunnybob":1i2ot0su said:
Strange, I've had 2 panasonics spreading across 30 years. On both, the recipes always stated put yeast in the pan first, then the flour to stop the yeast being activated by the water.

Same here with our first one; yeast in the pan first of all and then all the other ingredients. With this one though, the yeast is dropped into the flour etc some time into the mixing process; results are still the same though - Rob
 
sunnybob":3ho54esx said:
Strange, I've had 2 panasonics spreading across 30 years. On both, the recipes always stated put yeast in the pan first, then the flour to stop the yeast being activated by the water.

Yes that’s quite right and that’s what we used to do originally. The new machine though has a yeast dispenser that the old one didn’t have. I like the results we get with saf-levure yeast though and that needs to be activated in warm water.
 
Just out of idle interest I looked up reviews of bread making machines. Of the top 12, 9 of them were Panasonic. I have an old and barely used (maybe 50 times) Panasonic in the loft in perfect working order. Can't really see the appeal of paddle machines. :(
 
AJB Temple":1zogmwcl said:
Can't really see the appeal of paddle machines. :(

Much, much less faffing. Chuck all the ingredients in the machine, set the programme, hit 'go' and then get on with some woodmangling or laying blocks :D Five minutes tops to make a loaf - Rob
 
Phil Pascoe":36p41yuh said:
That's the thing - once you've baked a few hundred using a stand mixer and dough hook they don't take much longer than that without the machine.

:text-+1:

8AA7CA66-AB01-451B-9C86-049C0E9D7B33.jpeg

21ABE1BD-9D78-471A-9FF2-3E3F66EFD80A.jpeg

Did you know you can ask the baker at Tescos for a portion of fresh yeast, usually FOC?
 
I used to get it from Tesco when we shopped there - now we get everything delivered. I find the orange label Allinson's dried yeast predictable. Everyone has their favourites - I don't get on with Shipton Mill flour or Saffleur yeast. I can't get on with sour dough much as I'd like to. I must have tried cultures bought, given and started on at least twenty occasions to no avail. Yours are looking good - I bake mine darker because we both like it that way.
 
Main benefit of the maker is that i can set it of an evening to finish at 6am. Out the pan, make a brew, back upstairs for 3S the make a sandwich and im out the door with something i know is good without half the crap in a bought butty.
 
It has been brought to my attention today that I need to start (and continue) eating less bread. :oops:
 
AJB Temple":2spvw9oe said:
It has been brought to my attention today that I need to start (and continue) eating less bread. :oops:
Sounds familiar. My darling dear and love of my live has decided to cut down on gluten in an experiment to see if thats part of her issue. Which means i will be cutting down on gluten and therefore bread. Today was the last hurrah so to speak. Tomorrow its quinoa and something something.
 
novocaine":2frc76pt said:
AJB Temple":2frc76pt said:
It has been brought to my attention today that I need to start (and continue) eating less bread. :oops:
Sounds familiar. My darling dear and love of my live has decided to cut down on gluten in an experiment to see if thats part of her issue. Which means i will be cutting down on gluten and therefore bread. Today was the last hurrah so to speak. Tomorrow its quinoa and something something.

I've heard people refer to quinoa as a "superfood". I believe frazzles are another example.
 
Well to be fair the dictat was not limited to bread. The basic fundamental problem is that my wife still fits perfectly into her wedding dress.

I have never fitted into her wedding dress but I am sure you can get the general drift. Lockdown has not been kind to my waist line as I find myself baking bread and then, unfortunately, eating it. I also like butter on it - not very thinly spread.
 
Phil Pascoe":ou931rjp said:
I have heard it referred to as other things. :lol:

Its pronounced qwin oh ahhhhhhhh not keen waaaaaaaa. Pretentious crap next ypu be telling me its pronouced que que not cuscus.
 
Phil Pascoe":1uq9mc3f said:
That's the thing - once you've baked a few hundred using a stand mixer and dough hook they don't take much longer than that without the machine.
I see that as swapping one machine for another.

I have a bread machine. I also bake bread by hand. It depends on what result I want to achieve. Sometimes I even achieve something vaguely resembling the result I set out to achieve :lol:
 
AJB Temple":3azmo9pz said:
Well to be fair the dictat was not limited to bread. The basic fundamental problem is that my wife still fits perfectly into her wedding dress.

I have never fitted into her wedding dress but I am sure you can get the general drift. Lockdown has not been kind to my waist line as I find myself baking bread and then, unfortunately, eating it. I also like butter on it - not very thinly spread.

Ah, I see. Diet discipline is not easy. But if you can get into the habit anything can be palatable after a while. My father calls margarine cart grease. I can’t abide waiting for butter to become soft enough to spread without tearing fresh bread to pieces so I have never regularly bought it. A treat at Christmas only.

We bake a lot of our own cakes and biscuits, and all of our jams and marmalade all can be made with at least a third less sugar and still taste good.
Cooking without salt is also possible but takes a while to get used to.
All of this we have done before being told we had too btw, not wishing to sound smug. I can fit into my wedding suit and my birthday suit ain’t bad either :)
 
Andyp":1aeegzbg said:
Cooking without salt is also possible but takes a while to get used to.

It does indeed and as head cook and bottle washer, I haven't used salt in cooking for decades. High blood pressure also means that it's a good way of cutting down on sodium chloride, though I do sneak the occasional tub of olives into the shopping trolly. SWIMBO has proper sea salt on her grub and I use the Lo-Salt stuff, which also goes into the breadmaker - Rob
 
Woodbloke":3c8lwyrj said:
Andyp":3c8lwyrj said:
Cooking without salt is also possible but takes a while to get used to.

It does indeed and as head cook and bottle washer, I haven't used salt in cooking for decades. High blood pressure also means that it's a good way of cutting down on sodium chloride, though I do sneak the occasional tub of olives into the shopping trolly. SWIMBO has proper sea salt on her grub and I use the Lo-Salt stuff, which also goes into the breadmaker - Rob

What's the point of not cooking with salt then putting it on your food afterwards???

I season all my food (I never use loads of salt, but a pinch to help with flavour release, but NEVER put any extra on. The only time salt gets put on top of food in our house is on when we have a cheat day and have a chippy tea. Chippy chips without salt & vinegar just don't cut it!
 
Lets one person use normal salt, and one use the potassium alternative, without cooking twice. Makes sense if only one of you is on sodium restrictions.
 
TrimTheKing":13rvz3ie said:
What's the point of not cooking with salt then putting it on your food afterwards???

Apart from highish cholesterol, I also have high BP (when it was first measured years ago by my doc during a routine MOT, it was 200+ over 100+ and constant meds have brought that down to an acceptable figure,) so I don't stick any sodium chloride in food. I then use Lo-Salt (66% less sodium) to add a little bit of je ne said quoi to my nosh when it's on the table. SWIMBO, on the other hand, who has no ailments of any sort, uses a few flakes of organic sea salt. When we have guests round I always tell them that there's no salt in their grub and they should add it accordingly to the nosh on their plate as required - Rob

Edit - do you have salt on your children? :lol: :lol:
 
TrimTheKing":td2ckao8 said:
What's the point of not cooking with salt then putting it on your food afterwards???

I don’t do that either, ’cept as you say on chips and they are the oven variety.
 
Woodbloke":1d052mp4 said:
I also have high BP (when it was first measured years ago by my doc during a routine MOT, it was 200+ over 100+
Wow - were you going for some kind of record?

Whenever a Dr checks my BP they inevitably check it a second time to be sure the reading is correct. My average reading is 115 over 75. I have no idea why it is that low.
 
Really enjoyed reading this thread! Since first lockdown, I've been making our bread in a machine (pizza bases, too - they go down well) having hardly ever used it before - tho it is rather old. Seeing some of the lovely pics on here, I decided to have a go at doing the dough in the machine and baking in the oven. No bread tin so I used a large Pyrex dish, hence it looks more like a cake than a loaf. I've not tried it yet, but apparently it tastes good :-)
_MG_0281.jpg
 
Just4fun":2o0rvg2j said:
Woodbloke":2o0rvg2j said:
I also have high BP (when it was first measured years ago by my doc during a routine MOT, it was 200+ over 100+
Wow - were you going for some kind of record?

Whenever a Dr checks my BP they inevitably check it a second time to be sure the reading is correct. My average reading is 115 over 75. I have no idea why it is that low.

Can't remember exactly, but it defo over 200, maybe 212 or 220. I was in a state of considerable anxiety for the rest of that day and Dr Lynne put me on a concoction of meds straight away. It took her several attempts to get the BP down but eventually it seems to have settled at around 140ish/80ish, which is still a little on the high side but acceptable and l don't think it's going to go any lower - Rob
 
Just4fun":3v2clgyq said:
Whenever a Dr checks my BP they inevitably check it a second time to be sure the reading is correct. My average reading is 115 over 75. I have no idea why it is that low.

I'm similar. Just had my bi-annual service through work and mine was 104/70. My last 4 reading over 8 years have been

106/72
114/70
110/72
104/70

I don't know what that means, but it's apparently a good thing.
 
Back
Top