Windows
Old Oak
What’s the difference between paint and stain?
Not really. Strictly speaking only dye is absorbed into the wood's cells because dye dissolves fully (molecularly) in solution and therefore can bind with wood cells. Wood stain contains insoluble pigments that lodge in crevasses in the wood: frequently wood stain includes a dye in the mix, but the stain itself can't bind with the wood's cellular structure.Mike G":1t5saisc said:Stain is absorbed into the surface.
Richard":2wk9p1k7 said:Not really. Strictly speaking only dye is absorbed into the wood's cells because dye dissolves fully (molecularly) in solution and therefore can bind with wood cells. Wood stain contains insoluble pigments that lodge in crevasses in the wood: .....Mike G":2wk9p1k7 said:Stain is absorbed into the surface.
Lons":2jzw0e3e said:.... it doesn't really matter in practice as long as it "does what it says on the tin".
Windows":2g49y6ij said:The effect I desire is “has some colour and won’t rot for 15 years without maintenance”. What’s the product that’ll give me that?
I haven't really confirmed what you originally said. The stain element of a wood finishing product in its original descriptive meaning, is insoluble pigment. As such those pigments don't penetrate the wood molecules and what they do is lodge in crevices, e.g., exposed pores in the vascular tissue, the coarser elements of ring porous species such as ash or oak, and so on. Frequently what's sold as stain includes dye which, as I said earlier, is a colourant that fully dissolves in the carrier, i.e., at a molecular level. And at this molecular level dye can be absorbed by the fibres that make up wood thus changing the colour of the fibres. Pigment can't do this and pigment stains include a binder, e.g., linseed oil, to help the pigment bind to the surface of the wood's crevices. Sometimes there's a clue in the product's description it being labelled dye stain which tells the user there is both dye and stain in the product.Mike G":13vsu4jc said:I'll stick with my original sound-bite difference, though. I think you've even confirmed it. Stain is within the surface of the wood, without creating a film.
Windows":2p67s8b6 said:The first two answers matched my basic understanding of the terms. And then I came across opaque woodstain (specifically the Dulux version) and looked a little closer at previous stains I’d used and determined that pigment is deposited on the surface. So if lack of surface pigment and translucency are not characteristic of stain, what is stain? Is opaque woodstain stain or paint?