• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Do you ever get sidetracked when starting a project.

duke

Old Oak
Joined
Dec 18, 2020
Messages
3,582
Reaction score
2,224
Location
Field, Ontario, Canada
Name
Scott
Started turning this small bowl over a year ago. It was somewhat green now it is air dried. Most frustrating đŸ˜¤1000003601.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: Col
Yeah. I started a new clock project about a year ago. A couple of weeks later we decided to move house.
 
It’s always a challenge working with green wood, especially when you have to wait for it to air dry. The transformation over time can be unpredictable, but that’s part of what makes woodturning so rewarding. The cracks, warping, or even slight imperfections give the piece its own unique character. Stick with it—once finished, that bowl will tell a story of patience and craftsmanship! What kind of wood is it?
 
I tried turning freshly cut wood once, it made such a mess I vowed never to do it again, not inside the workshop anyway.
 
I tried turning freshly cut wood once, it made such a mess I vowed never to do it again, not inside the workshop anyway.
I'm not a good turner but have made bowls , plates reproduced spindles etc., wonder what is the proper moisture content of greenwood for roughing out a bowl.
 
You’ll need a better man than I to answer that one.
Wet wood chips all over the workshop were enough for me to now only turn fully seasoned wood. Harder work no doubt but less messy.
 
You’ll need a better man than I to answer that one.
Wet wood chips all over the workshop were enough for me to now only turn fully seasoned wood. Harder work no doubt but less messy.
My experience using HSS when turning dry wood is you do a lot of sharpening.
 
....., wonder what is the proper moisture content of greenwood for roughing out a bowl.
There's no such thing as a proper level for 'Green' turning, but as others have remarked, expect to get very wet in the process.


There are good rules regarding the intermediate dimensioning of a conventionally orientated 'Rough green turned blank' though as it will go oval during drying.

1. Maintain an even thickness on all Sides and Base to reduce splitting risk whilst drying.
2. Allow sufficient thickness in the wall sides to accommodate out of round distortion, as much as one inch for every foot diameter (wood species/moisture dependant),
3. Make sure you consider how you are going to re-mount it to finish turning, mounting spigots/sockets etc. will also be distorted. (consider leaving centre location points back and front to aid re-centring fixings)
 
Last edited:
crop.jpg

As an aside, (given that the original image was just for illustration purposes for the sake of the thread title), if that 'Green' blank had been left on a lathe, or on a shelf for that matter for twelve months, then I would have fully expected it to be beyond being salvageable.

There is no indication that the End Grain has been sealed against moisture loss and unless it was already below 12% moisture content then I would have expected a high probability of it having extensive splits forming.


This missive I penned some years ago might be of help. to anyone new to handling Green Wood.
 
Last edited:
Oh yea , not salvageable and I won't even try to turn it now. If I only spent the time when I started, only good for the fire.
But seeing it on the lathe every time I'm in the shop is a reminder to finish what you have started!!đŸ¤¬
 
Back
Top