AJB Temple
Sequoia
- Joined
- Apr 15, 2019
- Messages
- 7,823
- Reaction score
- 1,291
It's funny, I can remember pretty much all of my teachers. As a kid (13 or so) I really looked up to the metalwork teacher as he was super cool (though severe) and taught us to use the forge, lathes grinders, acid baths and so on. He knew exactly which kids he could trust and which were idiots. I can still vividly remember the lessons on heat treating, filing dead square cutting screw threads and so on at that age. At the same time the woodwork teacher was a very different sort of bloke, much more laid back, but he helped me make my first electric guitar, some of which was done each week (two days each week as I recall) in the hour after school when he was getting set up for the next day. His daughter would help too sometimes - she really liked sanding. He painstakingly helped me make sure the scale measurements were right, and cut the fret slots using a jig he made for me. Gave me a very positive attitude towards school.