• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

new toy

wallace

Old Oak
Joined
Aug 17, 2014
Messages
1,379
Reaction score
548
Some will already have seen me show my new toy elsewhere. I have a list of things that I want and every so often will have a quick search. Well I found a hardinge lathe cheap. I couldn't view it but took a chance

monXvfU.png

The feed doesn't work and its way above my paygrade. It has rectifier/coil/ resistors :shock:

IdzeKbT.png

Jsa01Wf.png

iF978Za.png

x5i5a2m.png

RkSxj8x.png
 
Looks like a very nice find. Lucky you. One day I will get time to learn how to use a metalwork lathe.
 
If only you knew someone who knows how to clean up old machinery..... ;) :lol:
 
Detailed electrical info on these machines is difficult to come by so go carefully before wading in.

The thing you refer to as a coil is a Variac, a variable AC transfomer used to vary the speed of the feed motor.
The tag board carries 8 diodes wired as two bridge rectifiers for the field and armature of the feed motor. in the centre is a resistor which could be connected across the output of the armature rectifier.

I think the whole feed motor control is run on 120v possible from the big transformer in the feed cabinet.

You might well find that transformer is fed with 240v via one phase and neutral. VFDs do not usually provide a neutral and so this machine is not likely to work with a VFD.

The spindle speed control is also quite complicated as the variable speed drive is mechanical but the speed change is electrically driven (the whole machine predates all but the simplest electronics)

Tony Griffiths has various manuals at small ransom rates but could be worth it if you can be sure it fully covers your model and age range.

Other than coveting the HLV-H we had at work and watching a mate (now deceased) use it, I have no experience with this machine but it is a great find and worth getting functional. It is the brickiest of brick outhouses! :lol:

Bob
 
Jeepers. How do you know all this stuff Rob. :text-goodpost:
 
OK I've dug a bit deeper.

It appears that the main transformer is connected between two phases and so does NOT need a neutral.
This means a digital phase converter should be able to be used for conversion to three phase BUT as there are several transformers, relays solenoids etc used downstream in the machine then the frequency must not be changed from 50Hz so dont use a VFD hoping for speed control.

The feed motor in UK models is designed for 240v DC

I've pulled together various circuit diagrams for both the HLV and the newer HLV-H and uploaded them here
There is also a manual for the HLV-H for the determined dismantler!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Hope this might be useful.

Bob
 
Many thanks Bob, I got the lathe working. At first it wasn't too happy with my 3phase but after switching the wires around to seems happy. Must of been the dirty leg. The variable speed works. The motor doesn't sound very happy on low speed, it hums like when you have the wrong setting on the static converter.
The feed doesn't work so I thought I would check it out.

7EMAxeS.png


The bottom bearing is seized, with a bit of look it might be just that.

VG9OynL.png
 
What’s that gunk? Looks like you’re working on a woodwork machine.
As opposed to me that’s working on a woodwork machine and finding its been used to cut aluminium, this lot was fused together where it landed from the blade.
B41ECBF4-0DC8-488D-B4D6-BD0BA6204AE3.jpeg

Ian
 
This wasn't supposed to be a resto but a light recomission, it seems to going down hill. The bearings are shot in the apron and one of the clutch plates has dropped to bits.

CEeKzXs.png

btSP79S.png

Io3qgMn.png
 
wallace":2av75sb9 said:
This wasn't supposed to be a resto but a light recomission, it seems to going down hill. ......

Oh-well, look to the enhanced satisfaction in the future when you finally show it who was boss and force it into submission.
 
nice toy,
soon be fixed.....
I got lucky, a one owner from new Colchester Square top student.....
I know a lot slag them off a stone age machines....but suits me.....
been used as a storage unit after the electrics went bad.....
just replaced the old cr@p switch gear....
it's all mechaniical and quite simple........

never heard of a system like ur's....
sounds to me u'd be better off with a new 3 phase motor and a VFD....
all though expensive.....

good luck
 
I was thinking a modern high torque DC motor with speed controller.
 
Back
Top