• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Photography: lubricating a tripod ball+socket.

Eric the Viking

Nordic Pine
Joined
Dec 10, 2020
Messages
929
Reaction score
373
Location
In the downstairs shower, trying to fix the leak.
Photography question:

I am the sort of twerp who buys a lightweight carbon fibre tripod, discards the pan+tilt head and then sticks a really solid and chunky ball and socket head on top of it. Pan+tilt = video, but too frustrating and slow for stills stuff, especially panoramas.

The preferred head is an ancient Manfrotto 308RC with a quick-release plate, and I've had it for around 35 years or so. It stays put rock solidly when you ask it to. Sadly, like me these days, it's also prone to not unsticking occasionally, so I have to lubricate it from time to time. Even after all this time, I can't settle on what to use.

Grease means gooeyness, that I have to keep off the other gear, and that's a pain. I was just about to pack it for a trip, and whatever-I-used-last-time has gone liquid, so I've just spent a frustrating 10 minutes with kitchen paper wiping off black residue--of something, so it can go in the suitcase.

Our kitchen is 'unusual' in that there are sometimes things in it that my wife says shouldn't be there, including presently a small can of Liberon Machine Wax.

Which got me wondering. The wax that Liberon usually leaves behind would be tolerable, but will it work for unsticking a ball head?

Thoughts welcome.
 
Photography question:

I am the sort of twerp who buys a lightweight carbon fibre tripod, discards the pan+tilt head and then sticks a really solid and chunky ball and socket head on top of it. Pan+tilt = video, but too frustrating and slow for stills stuff, especially panoramas.

The preferred head is an ancient Manfrotto 308RC with a quick-release plate, and I've had it for around 35 years or so. It stays put rock solidly when you ask it to. Sadly, like me these days, it's also prone to not unsticking occasionally, so I have to lubricate it from time to time. Even after all this time, I can't settle on what to use.

Grease means gooeyness, that I have to keep off the other gear, and that's a pain. I was just about to pack it for a trip, and whatever-I-used-last-time has gone liquid, so I've just spent a frustrating 10 minutes with kitchen paper wiping off black residue--of something, so it can go in the suitcase.

Our kitchen is 'unusual' in that there are sometimes things in it that my wife says shouldn't be there, including presently a small can of Liberon Machine Wax.

Which got me wondering. The wax that Liberon usually leaves behind would be tolerable, but will it work for unsticking a ball head?

Thoughts welcome.
I have had similar issues. Too much lube and it will not lock properly. I have had success with the tiniest amount of vaseline petroleum jelly applied in minuscule quantity. Also quite good on the rack and pinion system.
 
I have a ReallyRightStuff BH-55 ball head and the owner's manual is very clear about not using any lubrication on the ball. Any part of the ball head that requires lubrication has already been permanently lubricated. Using any lubrication will decrease the lockup capability.
 
Why not go for a new one?

This is my cousin's company.
They're really nice but I'm wedded to the Manfrotto plates, in part because I have a specialist pano head I've adapted to work with them, and I'm not keen on the Arca-Swiss style. The Manfrotto ones have a nice interlock, so you can't easily drop the camera too. Also I already have a good, if quirky, carbon-fibre tripod. And several heavier duty ones too.
 
I have a ReallyRightStuff BH-55 ball head and the owner's manual is very clear about not using any lubrication on the ball. Any part of the ball head that requires lubrication has already been permanently lubricated. Using any lubrication will decrease the lockup capability.
I think that's how mine was initially, but the coating seems to have worn, although it's still functional otherwise. It's a very sturdy ball head, which is why I bought it in the first place, and I haven't seen anything as good since. The BH-55 is excellent, but would be too heavy,

image_15037.webp

This is the model I have. It's a 3/8" thread into the QR plate, but the plate isn't removable from this ball head (there's no sign of a press having been used - I think it was Loctite). I have lots of both camera plates and QR fittings for things like copy work, and camera plates live on my 300 f/4 and pano head for quick setup.

Needless to say when locked it's rigid, and any give in the system is elsewhere. The shaft above the ball is about 10mm diameter. Genuine Manfrotto camera plates fit the QR plate best, but the Chinese knockoffs serve and don't fall off or come loose. I have quite a few of the QR knock-offs as they can be fitted to other supports (e.g. the camera position on my pano head), and whilst they're not perfect they do work.
 
I can't help but wish I'd known Eric as just a few weeks ago I sold a couple of heads to Wex for peanuts and would have been happy for you to have one for free. :(

* Manfrotto 322RC2 Horizontal Grip Action Ball Head
* Manfrotto 460MG 3D Magnesium Head

I also sold a Giotto MH1301 on facebook for £15 just last week all virtually unused.
 
I have been frustrated by the QR plate being "permanently" attached to the column and ball, but... it's just occurred to me that a bit of well-aimed heat might cook the thread lock so I can separate them. I am pretty sure I can remove the safety interlock and cam first, so they’re not harmed.

That would mean I can strip the whole thing and clean it thoroughly, which would be a better starting point. At that point PTFE spray and talc can be experimented with...
 
I can't help but wish I'd known Eric as just a few weeks ago I sold a couple of heads to Wex for peanuts and would have been happy for you to have one for free. :(

* Manfrotto 322RC2 Horizontal Grip Action Ball Head
* Manfrotto 460MG 3D Magnesium Head

I also sold a Giotto MH1301 on facebook for £15 just last week all virtually unused.
Very kind thought!

It's had as good a clean as I can manage for now, and I shall have another go at unscrewing the QR plate when we get back. I also found a perfectly sized zip lock bag to cover the ball in a suitcase, so it won't make a mess (it sticks out of the tripod bag - why do they never make them three inches longer than the tripods?).
 
Back
Top