• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Pulleys

Mike G

Petrified Pine
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
12,663
Reaction score
3,404
Location
Suffolk
Name
Mike
Can someone help with the nomenclature of pulleys, please. Now, I understand diameter, I think, but then there are two other numbers listed such as "24/8mm". I assume that 24 is the diameter of the shaft, so I can only think that 8 is the width of the keyway. Is that right?

For instance:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/150mm-v-belt-pulley-248mm/
 
Yarp, you assume correctly.

I try to buy taper lock pulleys exclusively now if something needs replacing, much easier to deal with, a much better quality product and it's pretty much a permanent fix and will never move on the shaft.
 
.........toddling off to Duckduckgo "taper lock pulleys".......
 
Mike,

If you click the link for the technical data, it will show a little table, confirms your statement about the dimensions.
 
Trevanion":2seonsgw said:
Yarp, you assume correctly.

I try to buy taper lock pulleys exclusively now if something needs replacing, much easier to deal with, a much better quality product and it's pretty much a permanent fix and will never move on the shaft.

Cast iron taper lock pulleys (or sheaves, if you prefer) are definitely the way to go. Worth the money all the way.

Kirk
 
In the description there doesn’t seem to be any mention of the belt size for use with these pulleys?
 
Woodster":m0y3cdvz said:
In the description there doesn’t seem to be any mention of the belt size for use with these pulleys?
Or profile.
PCD is not a term I've heard applied to pulleys either - usually effective diameter is used.
In my experience at least, PCD is Pitch Circle Diameter - the diameter of the circle in which holes are drilled in a flange for example.
Mike, if there's anything critical about this project, go to Fenner's website and you'll get chapter and verse, including Taperlocks (a trade name, but other makers are out there e.g. Dunlop).
Taperlocks are brilliant but just be aware that the correct tightening sequence is critical or you'll have two halves!
Duncan
 
Back
Top