• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Screwfix No-nonsense Lightweight Filler - AVOID

RogerS

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 21, 2014
Messages
15,648
Reaction score
1,334
Location
Somerset
Robert's polyfilla tip reminded me that I've ben meaning to warn you guys about using this stuff.

It doesn't fully dry out, leaving a sort of soft rubbery finish that is a bugger - nay, an impossibility - to sand smooth without furry bits left behind.

Avoid this stuff like the plague.
 
RogerS":3jlj7siv said:
Robert's polyfilla tip reminded me that I've ben meaning to warn you guys about using this stuff.

It doesn't fully dry out, leaving a sort of soft rubbery finish that is a bugger - nay, an impossibility - to sand smooth without furry bits left behind.

Avoid this stuff like the plague.

I'm sure I have read this comment from you before Roger. Maybe it was in another place?
Curious though as the description in the catalogue talks about sanding it once cured.

The other "No Nonsense" products I've used have been OK - mainly silicones and acrylic fillers but they are not designed to be sanded :D
I tend to used Toolsatan where possible but SF have opened up about 1m away** in Romsey recently and that plus click and collect are swaying my purchasing a bit.

** I realise 1 mile only gets you to the end of your driveway these days Roger :lol:

Bob
 
Not sure of the different makes but the lightweight filler I’ve used has been great. Even used some lightweight plaster to fill a trench left by the electrician and that was good as well. I generally use ScrewFix, Wickes or B&Q.
 
RogerS":ayg2foib said:
Robert's polyfilla tip reminded me that I've ben meaning to warn you guys about using this stuff.

It doesn't fully dry out, leaving a sort of soft rubbery finish that is a bugger - nay, an impossibility - to sand smooth without furry bits left behind.

Avoid this stuff like the plague.

That’s the premixed stuff, right? I used it once. Never again.
 
diffuseandrews":32et15jm said:
RogerS":32et15jm said:
Robert's polyfilla tip reminded me that I've ben meaning to warn you guys about using this stuff.

It doesn't fully dry out, leaving a sort of soft rubbery finish that is a bugger - nay, an impossibility - to sand smooth without furry bits left behind.

Avoid this stuff like the plague.

That’s the premixed stuff, right? I used it once. Never again.

Spot on !
 
I used some of the "deep crack" filler from Wickes the other week. it was pretty good but it did take a few days to fully cure when put in 20mm deep chases for some wiring I was doing. God knows how long it'd take if you did the full 50mm suggested on the instructions! For stuff that deep I think I'd just knock up a bit of sand/cement mortar and then use the filler as a skim on the top..

Apart from that the only drawback to it was the colour, its dark grey, which means it takes several coats of paint to fully hide it. I'd use it again though.
 
will1983":2t6cz9sw said:
.....
Apart from that the only drawback to it was the colour, its dark grey, which means it takes several coats of paint to fully hide it. I'd use it again though.

There are two cans of paint that I always make sure I have.

Zinsser Cover Stain...for exactly your problem. Just one coat pretty much blocks out anything so you can then apply your normal paint.

Zinsser BIN 123 (shellac based)for acting as a barrier between what was there before and what you now want to put on..when they two of them don't play nicely together.
 
Back
Top