• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Seven Heirlooms - You'll never guess……!

Can I suggest that you alter 'handcrafted' to 'hand built' or 'hand made'; whenever I hear or see the word 'crafted' it's just irksome and intensely irritating. The bottom two lines need the margins shrinking a little as well as the fourth line from the top. I'm also intrigued by 'the great seal'...will there be a big blob of hot red wax with 'Malc was 'ere' stamped into it...hope so!:ROFLMAO: - Rob
 
Sounds hopeful that you'll get your cases issue sorted. Some companies will chance their arm with customers and it probably had a lot to do with the specific person you're dealing with, their knowledge and experience etc.

On another note, I'd like to also say how stunning the instruments are. I think instrument makers are a particularly skilled subspecialty in woodworking and your work is fantastic.
 
They really do look stonkingly good Malc.

What a journey from start to finish. You should be rightfully proud of what you’ve achieved.
 
Sounds hopeful that you'll get your cases issue sorted. Some companies will chance their arm with customers and it probably had a lot to do with the specific person you're dealing with, their knowledge and experience etc.

On another note, I'd like to also say how stunning the instruments are. I think instrument makers are a particularly skilled subspecialty in woodworking and your work is fantastic.
Thank you, Dave.
 
Can I suggest that you alter 'handcrafted' to 'hand built' or 'hand made'; whenever I hear or see the word 'crafted' it's just irksome and intensely irritating. The bottom two lines need the margins shrinking a little as well as the fourth line from the top. I'm also intrigued by 'the great seal'...will there be a big blob of hot red wax with 'Malc was 'ere' stamped into it...hope so!:ROFLMAO: - Rob
Thank you, Bob.

However, without wishing to get into an online discussion, my research suggests 'handcrafted' means an item is made by hand using tools, machinery, or pre-made components, while handmade means an item is built entirely by hand without machines.

I've shrunk the line and replaced some text that fell out somehow. Anything that isn't 'model type' etc is centralised on the page. I've also moved stuff to make a more economic use of space. And yes, there will be a great big blob! :) And the certificate will be of Premium Laid Cream paper, 100 GSM.

Cert of Auth and Materials2.png
 
Thank you, Bob.

However, without wishing to get into an online discussion, my research suggests 'handcrafted' means an item is made by hand using tools, machinery, or pre-made components, while handmade means an item is built entirely by hand without machines.

I've shrunk the line and replaced some text that fell out somehow. Anything that isn't 'model type' etc is centralised on the page. I've also moved stuff to make a more economic use of space. And yes, there will be a great big blob! :) And the certificate will be of Premium Laid Cream paper, 100 GSM.

View attachment 59213
The provenance paperwork now looks excellent, but I can see you've dragged David Pye's book 'The Nature and Art of Workmanship' off the bookshelf which is a fascinating read in which he explores topics such as 'handmade' and what that actually means. The example he gives is that there's only one thing on planet Earth that's truly 'hand made'...everything else has an element of machine/toolwork to a lesser or greater extent. Unless you've read the book or have done some Googlisationing, do you know what it is?? - Rob
 
The provenance paperwork now looks excellent, but I can see you've dragged David Pye's book 'The Nature and Art of Workmanship' off the bookshelf which is a fascinating read in which he explores topics such as 'handmade' and what that actually means. The example he gives is that there's only one thing on planet Earth that's truly 'hand made'...everything else has an element of machine/toolwork to a lesser or greater extent. Unless you've read the book or have done some Googlisationing, do you know what it is?? - Rob
No. I think that is an opportunity to start a new thread. :)
 
Do you know, I feel rather proud of you Malc. Irrational I know. But you have become a proper luthier and you have great standards. Well done you. Top man.
Thank you, @AJB Temple .

I retired from two different careers in 2016 after fifty years' work. I joined this wonderful forum because I found that it has proper sound information about building a workshop. I learned so much from many members here, you all know who you are. It enabled me to enjoy my love, ability and meagre skill at working with wood which started in 1961 at school and carried on for 7 years where I passed GCE A Level. I still remember the business that my woodwork master had utilising evening class stock and commissioning me to make stuff with it. And he smoked Ol Holborn and left his pouch where I knew I could roll one or tow for myself. :) And he payed me for the commissioned work.

I nearly went to Shoreditch College to learn how to teach woodwork, but stuff stopped me. I chose a different career instead. Then when I retired from that one, I took the knowledge, qualifications and experience gained to take on another, completely unrelated to wood.

I built this workshop, slowly inhabited it with tools and machines and eventually settled on making instruments which I have found immensely satisfying, yet am still not satisfied with the quality of the finished article. But I am getting better.

I hope you enjoy the WIPs. It helps me remember the processes by writing them up. And I hope that by posting them, I can encourage any of you to take luthiery up from scratch.
 
Back
Top