• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Two Concert Ukuleles (More or Less Finished)

I’m curious about the case Malc. Are the cases and/or the ukuleles a standard size? It is certainly a good snug fit? Are you tempted to make you own cases too?
 
fiveeyes":3231jkrq said:
I do not comment much, but have been keenly following. Great looking instruments. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Thank you.
 
Andyp":2l7pozhj said:
I’m curious about the case Malc. Are the cases and/or the ukuleles a standard size? It is certainly a good snug fit? Are you tempted to make you own cases too?

Yes. No. ;)

The ukulele family come in 4 basic sizes, sort of similar to the violin family, Sporano, Concert, Tenor and Baritone. As far as I can tell, those sizes are fairly standard, and so the cases come in those sizes, too.

I haven't found any satisfactory plans for making instrument cases. I found this supplier and I'm happy with the cases. I think they may be more saleable with cases like these rather than a handcrafted version, if anyone should want to buy my instruments.
 
Still a bit more fettling to do. Apologies for the backlight and the mop handle!
Soundbaord - Alpine Spruce
Braces - Spruce
Sides and back - Laminated Sycamore from Sevenoaks, Kent, UK.
Fretboard - Ovangkol
Neck - Sapele with Padauk and Maple laminate
Headstock Veneer - Granadillo (Granadilla)
Logo - Mother of Pearl
Rosette - Padauk
Binding - Padauk
Putfling - Dyed Tulip Wood Veneer
Bridge - Ebony
Nut and Saddle - Bone

ED98F63F-5664-4A63-AAF7-5725E58A5731_1_201_a.jpeg

1CB0D487-7864-4EBE-A40C-DEDA1DAC5E47_1_201_a.jpeg

6B3883A9-55DA-4FF5-8FFB-ECFB2CF8D3C4.jpeg

0DE36AD9-1710-4206-B056-CE9BE0E692DC.jpeg

CA57540A-5C35-4403-AA10-91A78D035555.jpeg

927A809A-3E04-47A1-A5BA-53446D17C4E9_1_201_a.jpeg

9B443419-8C9C-4CE6-BAC2-CB5FB9E61589.jpeg
 
Yes gorgeous, but I do have one slight observation and it might be that you have done it this way on purpose of course, but to my eyes the end of the fret shouldn’t encroach onto the purfling and maybe should have a curve on it to follow the purfling and be chamfered back on the curve?
Sorry I know it is churlish to mention it as it’s way beyond anything I could do.
 
Cabinetman":9ze2ro2x said:
Yes gorgeous, but I do have one slight observation and it might be that you have done it this way on purpose of course, but to my eyes the end of the fret shouldn’t encroach onto the purfling and maybe should have a curve on it to follow the purfling and be chamfered back on the curve?
Sorry I know it is churlish to mention it as it’s way beyond anything I could do.

Thank you, Ian.

I'm not sure quite what you mean, but if you mean the end of the fretboard encroaches the 'top' of the rosette and its purfling, well that is a traditional way of doing things. Many rosettes are not fully circular and have a join. That join is usually located at the top, and the fretboard overhang is used to cover it.

My rosette is fully circular and set into the soundhole, not around it, but its purfling has a join, and I've used the fretboard overhang to cover it. Some makers shape their overhangs curved to follow the rosette, some leave them square as I have done, some have curved points at their end just about covering the join.

It's a style thing.
 
Back
Top