• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

What size screw is this?

AndyP

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jul 22, 2014
Messages
14,380
Reaction score
1,941
Location
14860 Normandy, France
I’ve totally buggered the head of one of the two screws I need to attach a salt/pepper grinder mechanism.
Sorry to mix measurement units. That’s 15mm by, I think 2.4mm.
Next task will be to try and find some.

20260930_101125_resized.jpeg

20260930_101249_resized.jpeg
 
Wood screws (and other self-tapping screws) often seem to be imperial sizes reported in metric units and 2.4 mm is fairly common. The ones you tend to get in the UK are often reported as #2, #3, #4 etc and #3 is 2.2 mm and #4 is 2.9 mm although I've seen some places list #4 as 2.4mm. An imperial wood screw of 3/32" (2.4 mm) would be ideal if you can get it, but probably not that easy in France.

For the length, you'll probably find 16 mm easier to find than 15 mm (as 16 mm is roughly 5/8").

I'd be inclined to get a 16 mm long #3 (2.2 mm diameter) as it'll be close enough. I'm not sure whether they'll be listed as #3 in France or just as 2.2 mm.

Handy reference: https://www.aspenfasteners.com/content/pdf/Metric_DIN_7981_spec.pdf
 
Thanks Rob, I’ve scoured all my tins and even the dark recesses of my toolbox where all sorts have been chucked in over the years.

This size seems more common as a machine screw than a wood screw and although I can find boxes of 100 woodscrews none are pan headed.

Here are the holes. There is no room for error if the screw is too big
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5134.jpeg
    IMG_5134.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 5
I think I’ve found something. The screw that holds together what passes for a plug on this side of the channel, although with a chunky head, fits.
20260930_142419_resized.jpeg

It’s the one on the right
20260930_142428_resized_1.jpeg

I’ll sit and look at that for a while before I decide whether or not to replace the other one.
 
Sorry but I couldn’t live with that style of replacement screw.
 
Back
Top